Salary Relief

BamaDoc

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 03:19 PM)
See I still don't read that and think they are at all interested in gutting their system. Just that they would see value in removing $10 million for a 10-20 prospect.

I don't think it would give us a big guy by itself, but maybe it upgrades one of the prospects to a higher level guy.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 04:03 PM)
I don't think it would give us a big guy by itself, but maybe it upgrades one of the prospects to a higher level guy.

Right but I don't think they are interested in Q at his market price. Even if we take McCarthy. They want their Bellingers and Calhouns.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 04:10 PM)
Right but I don't think they are interested in Q at his market price. Even if we take McCarthy. They want their Bellingers and Calhouns.

That could very well be true. And if that is the case, there probably isn't a deal to get made. But the idea that the Sox could take on one of their contracts just is another way to get creative.

Stepping back, we know the Sox and Dodgers both work well together in deals, and they know each other prospects and player very closely from sharing a spring training site.

If they move Frazier, they could do the same thing with the Yankees with a guy like Chase Headley or Brett Gardner.

Or maybe the Sox and Yanks swap 3B and the Sox get an extra prospect or two for paying the extra year of Headley's deal. Might as well get creative.

Edited by FLsouthsider

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 10:31 AM)
SOX SALARY OBLIGATIONS

Sox have $35M on the books for 2018, only $2.25M on the books for 2019 - which is only the buyouts in Shields, Q and Jones' contracts. Obviously pretty likely Q and Jones club options would be picked up.

Shields buyout is covered by the Padres.

the '18 and '19 FA market should be very interesting provided the sox appear on track I would be all for signing Manny to play 3B even if in '19 the sox are .500, he would be 25 for the start of '19, and if not Manny, Nolan Arenado is a FA the following season at age 29.

QUOTE (beautox @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 08:50 PM)
Shields buyout is covered by the Padres.

the '18 and '19 FA market should be very interesting provided the sox appear on track I would be all for signing Manny to play 3B even if in '19 the sox are .500, he would be 25 for the start of '19, and if not Manny, Nolan Arenado is a FA the following season at age 29.

I don't think thats accurate but the buyout is only like $2 mil so almost non-existent regardless.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 09:40 AM)
I would love to see them dig into the Dodgers position player prospect stash, and taking on a player or two in salary relief to do it is perfectly fine with me.

They just have so much talent laying around, including power bats, catchers, July 2, and Cuban players so you really can build any kind of deal you want with them.

Agree

The Dodgers aren't the Stewart/Larusa Diamondbacks...aren't selling prospects to save money.

And the Whitesox don't like bad money.