2017 All-Soccer Thread

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The most disappointed I have been in anything, maybe in my entire life.

There need to be changes from top to bottom. f*** Gulati. Learn how to hire a real manager next time. f*** Arena. Learn how to select your best 11.

I'm sick and f***ing tired of the excuses. "Wah, it's so hard to play away games in CONCACAF. The conditions are just brutal." f*** you. Lalas was right to call these guys out and basically say, "Nut up or shut up." Well guess what f***ing happened?

This is the biggest embarrassment in U.S. sports history. Yes all sports. A f***ing pathetic effort by the team tonight. There was no heart. No passion. No urgency. Nothing. Everyone standing around with their thumbs up their asses.

Everyone in USSF deserves the harshest of criticisms right now. I hope the soccer media in this country tears them to shreds because they are f***ing s***. If only I had a very public soccer voice the way guys like Grant Wahl, Taylor Twellman, Alexi Lalas, etc. have in this country. The s*** that I would be saying on television right now would be unprecedented. I'd make Jim Mora's playoffs rant or Lee Elia's 1983 Cubs rant look like a f***ing children's cartoon in comparison.

I'm royally, ROYALLY f***ing pissed off and I feel I have excellent reason to be. Not that what I say matters, but I demand changes from top to bottom. We had better f***ing get them.

What a f***ing embarrassing day to be a fan of this side. This is the worst loss in the team's history.

f***.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Oct 10, 2017 -> 09:14 PM)
Congrats FOX Sports!

Ha, this made me laugh the first time I saw someone bring up FOX. Whoops!

QUOTE (aryzner @ Oct 10, 2017 -> 11:34 PM)
This is the biggest embarrassment in U.S. sports history. Yes all sports.

USA Basketball lost to Puerto Rico. By 19.

I get your anger, just throwing out a comparison.

"Belgium beat Bosnia on a cow pasture, but we can't tie Trinidad cause the field is too wet!" Pretty epic rant from Taylor Twellman in case you missed it.

It's hitting me now that was the last USMNT game that will matter for 2 to 2.5 years until 2022 qualifying begins.

Last night and today sucks but in a few hours I'll be watching the playoffs and then football all weekend. I won't go out of my way to watch the WC draw in December but next summer when this team isn't prepping for Russia with friendlies is when it'll really set in for me.

Ive said it before but one of my favorite things about the WC is the actual qualifying. But this team was painful to watch. Couldn't even win one match away from home and this was a weak Hex. Honduras is trash. So is T&T.

It's really amazing this team couldn't even get to the playoff. But last night summed up the last 3 years. JK should've been fired after that 4th place finish in the Gold Cup. I get why Arena was brought in, just to get to Russia but that didn't work. And how often does the reunions ever work? Maybe that's the good in this. We get to Russia and that delays the fundamental changes that need to take place. Or maybe worse, the USSF doesn't feel the heat and the status quo continues.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Oct 11, 2017 -> 07:05 AM)
Last night and today sucks but in a few hours I'll be watching the playoffs and then football all weekend. I won't go out of my way to watch the WC draw in December but next summer when this team isn't prepping for Russia with friendlies is when it'll really set in for me.

Ive said it before but one of my favorite things about the WC is the actual qualifying. But this team was painful to watch. Couldn't even win one match away from home and this was a weak Hex. Honduras is trash. So is T&T.

It's really amazing this team couldn't even get to the playoff. But last night summed up the last 3 years. JK should've been fired after that 4th place finish in the Gold Cup. I get why Arena was brought in, just to get to Russia but that didn't work. And how often does the reunions ever work? Maybe that's the good in this. We get to Russia and that delays the fundamental changes that need to take place. Or maybe worse, the USSF doesn't feel the heat and the status quo continues.

Yep. Arena should be gone tomorrow, and Gulati should be gone as well. Failing to qualify for the World Cup, with this Hex, and at this point in the development curve of US Soccer means heads should roll.

And the rebuild has to happen right away. The Bradley/Altidore/Dempsey/Howard generation is aged out of the next cycle (maybe - Bradley will be 35 in '22 and Jozy will be 31). They provided a lot of good soccer over the years, and two trips to the knockout rounds of the WC. But their time is now done. The US failed to really find and develop any homegrown talent between the core from the last decade, and the newest group (Pulisic and Wood I guess?). So the next coach needs to find the guys who are going to be the mainstays in the next set of qualifying and set the roster up for 2022.

QUOTE (aryzner @ Oct 11, 2017 -> 07:32 AM)
Losing to Puerto Rico in a f***ing basketball game didn't knock us out of the biggest sporting event on the planet. There is no comparison for me, sorry.

Ha OK man. You're talking about the total failure. I just gave a one-off comparison. Tuesday's loss was an embarrassment, but this team had struggled multiple times before to put themselves in this position. A lot of smaller failures before tonight.

I'm sure the tone of my posts comes off as harsh but it's not directed at you or anyone here at all. I am pissed off at this team, at USSF, at all of it. It's utter bulls*** that this country does not qualify for the World Cup coming out of CONCACAF, but here we are.

It's going to take me a very, very long time to get over this.

(As you may be able to tell, I am a massive soccer guy. US soccer matters to me very much so.)