2017-2018 NFL Thread

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 9, 2018 -> 11:03 AM)
I can't say I know their cap situation and how it works as compared to with the Eagles and Browns were detailed in teh story but it seems like the Wheaton and Glennon contracts could impact what would have been able to be rolled over inot this offseason.

I was unaware of the rollover options. Makes the bad middle of the road FA signings worse. Although keeping guys on teh field would help.

Isn't Ted Phillips the cap guru?

It's more that Pace modeled (verbally) his ideal of making the Bears the Ted Thompson Packers which is now showing to be an obsolete model. Hopefully he is moving on and more open to Free Agent risks.

Also here is a great Dan Durkin article for those subscribed to the athletic:

https://theathletic.com/206764/2018/01/09/w...o-other-option/

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 9, 2018 -> 11:03 AM)
I can't say I know their cap situation and how it works as compared to with the Eagles and Browns were detailed in teh story but it seems like the Wheaton and Glennon contracts could impact what would have been able to be rolled over inot this offseason.

I was unaware of the rollover options. Makes the bad middle of the road FA signings worse. Although keeping guys on teh field would help.

Isn't Ted Phillips the cap guru?

That's Cliff Stein, who by all accounts knows the salary cap rules as well as anyone.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 9, 2018 -> 11:08 AM)
It's more that Pace modeled (verbally) his ideal of making the Bears the Ted Thompson Packers which is now showing to be an obsolete model. Hopefully he is moving on and more open to Free Agent risks.

I don't think the Ted Thompson model of draft and develop is an obsolete model. He just took it to an extreme.

Teams that draft poorly and spend big money on free agents are usually bad. They may have one good year, but there isn't that long term success.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 9, 2018 -> 11:31 AM)
I don't think the Ted Thompson model of draft and develop is an obsolete model. He just took it to an extreme.

Teams that draft poorly and spend big money on free agents are usually bad. They may have one good year, but there isn't that long term success.

But that extreme is who he referenced as the ideal. ANd it's not arguing that draft poorly is a model, it's that mistakes in FA are less impactful than in past, so you can try and go big in free agency without being crippled like in the past.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 9, 2018 -> 09:08 AM)

I actually very much like our model. You can't get yourself burned in free agency but you need to play in it. We've missed at times in free agency and Pace has specifically said it is an area that you need to get better, but if you can't hit and win in the draft you are going to be in trouble. Additionally, as it relates to the Jaguars they had played big in free agency for a while without winning. Heck, look at the Eagles/Redskins who had a number of years of being offseason champions without showing a ton for it. I think the key is in how you structure the deals to protect yourself and take calculated risks which won't cripple you down the road and Pace has surprised me in terms of how he has managed the cap (given how bad the Saints managed it) and I think that is a testimate to Cliff Stein and probably even ole Ted Phillips.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 9, 2018 -> 12:12 PM)
I actually very much like our model. You can't get yourself burned in free agency but you need to play in it. We've missed at times in free agency and Pace has specifically said it is an area that you need to get better, but if you can't hit and win in the draft you are going to be in trouble. Additionally, as it relates to the Jaguars they had played big in free agency for a while without winning. Heck, look at the Eagles/Redskins who had a number of years of being offseason champions without showing a ton for it. I think the key is in how you structure the deals to protect yourself and take calculated risks which won't cripple you down the road and Pace has surprised me in terms of how he has managed the cap (given how bad the Saints managed it) and I think that is a testimate to Cliff Stein and probably even ole Ted Phillips.

The Eagles and Redskins have been in the playoffs many more times than the bears in the last 7 decade.

And again, the point of the article is with the reduced rookie salaries and increased cap it's hard to cripple yourself.

Yeah, I'd rather have gone after big fish like Jaguars along with big drafts than wasted money on "discount bin" players like Wheaton, Demps, Cooper and Glennon. Calais Campbell worked out pretty sweet for them. Julius Thomas didn't, and yet Julius Thomas didn't cripple them.

It's not an argument that the bears should forget the draft and only do free agency, but you can go big in FA and not kill yourselves like the saints did when he was there for multiple years.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 9, 2018 -> 11:54 AM)
NBC Sports Chicago‏Verified account @NBCSChicago 3h3 hours ago Bears will reportedly have to battle rival Packers for Vic Fangio's services: http://bit.ly/2EpDKIr

If he is comfortable in Chicago and paid well, he probably stays.

I'm sure thought of putting together even a half decent defense in Green Bay with Aaron Rodgers means he gets a shot at winning the Super Bowl is something he will have to think about.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 9, 2018 -> 10:20 AM)

I'm sure thought of putting together even a half decent defense in Green Bay with Aaron Rodgers means he gets a shot at winning the Super Bowl is something he will have to think about.

Yep - Being in playoffs and having an opportunity for rebuilt defense gives him a very good chance at being a head coach (imo).

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 9, 2018 -> 12:20 PM)

I feel like Fangio is kinda in the stage of life where he's his own man, is just there to coach some D and be left alone, and so I don't really know where that puts him. Maybe just some place he wants to live more.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 9, 2018 -> 10:29 AM)
I feel like Fangio is kinda in the stage of life where he's his own man, is just there to coach some D and be left alone, and so I don't really know where that puts him. Maybe just some place he wants to live more.

I think he wants to be a head coach. So while I think he enjoys Chicago and would benefit from having Nagy (and not a defensive guy like Fox) next to him, he also knows being with the Packers means you are going to be a playoff team every year and if your defense does decent, you are going to get a call to be a HC. Of course Don Capers was once thought of as an outstanding DC, so not sure what happened to him in Green Bay. Is it a coach issue or a talent issue (or even just an investment in the defense issue...as in they don't invest enough in their defense).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 9, 2018 -> 12:36 PM)
I think he wants to be a head coach. So while I think he enjoys Chicago and would benefit from having Nagy (and not a defensive guy like Fox) next to him, he also knows being with the Packers means you are going to be a playoff team every year and if your defense does decent, you are going to get a call to be a HC. Of course Don Capers was once thought of as an outstanding DC, so not sure what happened to him in Green Bay. Is it a coach issue or a talent issue (or even just an investment in the defense issue...as in they don't invest enough in their defense).

At times I think Capers didn't have the talent in Green Bay, but I think at times they've had the talent to at least be a middle of road defense and were ranked near last in everything. I don't think Capers has adjusted as well to the modern game as someone like Fangio.

@RapSheet

#Bills GM Brandon Beane on whether G Richie Incognito used a racial slur: “There was definitely an exchange. I think there was a misunderstanding of what was said.” ... The NFL is looking into it.

Richie Incognito is still trash.

David Kaplan‏Verified account @thekapman 7h7 hours ago Source tells me the Indianapolis Colts were all in on hiring Matt Nagy. Uncertainty on health of Andrew Luck vs Mitchell Trubisky + Nagy’s belief the Bears roster is much better made decision for him. “Pace landed him by convincing him sunny days are ahead for the Bears.”

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 9, 2018 -> 10:54 AM)
David Kaplan‏Verified account @thekapman 7h7 hours ago Source tells me the Indianapolis Colts were all in on hiring Matt Nagy. Uncertainty on health of Andrew Luck vs Mitchell Trubisky + Nagy’s belief the Bears roster is much better made decision for him. “Pace landed him by convincing him sunny days are ahead for the Bears.”

I read a few people say that all the coaches that met with Pace were really impressed with him. I'm really hoping somehow at the press conference they announce Fangio but I doubt it.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 9, 2018 -> 01:26 PM)
Passion just oozes out of this guy. Interesting that they did not have Trubisky part of the process but Nagy raved about the day they spent with Trubisky when they were doing the draft stuff. Trubisky saw Nagy today.

I know they were thinking about having Trubisky part of the coaching interviews. I am glad they didn't. I think it puts way too much pressure on him at that point. He has enough to deal with at this point. If he were in the league a few years and had a couple of Pro Bowls, then I could see it.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 9, 2018 -> 11:28 AM)
I know they were thinking about having Trubisky part of the coaching interviews. I am glad they didn't. I think it puts way too much pressure on him at that point. He has enough to deal with at this point. If he were in the league a few years and had a couple of Pro Bowls, then I could see it.

I completely agree with you. Find the right man for the job. With the Rams, everyone wanted to see and get more feel for Goff because no one really believed in him based upon what he showed in that 1st season. I think the perception of Trubisky is different (doesn't mean he pans out) but league wide perception is fairly positive on Trubisky. Also helps that Nagy had spent time and evaluated Trubisky within the draft process as well. Trubisky's skill-sets seem to be a very good fit for Nagy's system.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 9, 2018 -> 12:54 PM)

I really hope Andrew Luck comes back. He is fun to watch. Would be a shame if that shoulder ended his career.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 9, 2018 -> 01:35 PM)
I really hope Andrew Luck comes back. He is fun to watch. Would be a shame if that shoulder ended his career.

It would suck, especially considering how much papering over of their bad roster he did. Imagine a good situation? He could have been a very unique player.

I get the feeling we aren't keeping Fangio though. I think there was a bit of hedging in the answers he gave around the defense. I suspect we are about to make a heavy push at Bevell (will make a heavy offer at Fangio) and will then see if we can pull one of them (or Pettine).