Sunday Baseball for the Sox Faithful

elrockinMT

Throwing strikes=Good

Not missing bats=Bad

Despite the great performance, I'm not encouraged that Giolito has been 90-92 today. I honestly don't know what to expect from him velocity wise. I've heard mid 90s and he's been low 90s ever since the 2nd inning of last start. :huh: That velocity is meat in the majors usually from a RHP.

Edited by Jack Parkman

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Aug 27, 2017 -> 03:02 PM)
Throwing strikes=Good

Not missing bats=Bad

Despite the great performance, I'm not encouraged that Giolito has been 90-92 today. I honestly don't know what to expect from him velocity wise. I've heard mid 90s and he's been low 90s ever since the 2nd inning of last start. :huh: That velocity is meat in the majors usually from a RHP.

Only 4 Ks but he got 12 swings and misses, that's pretty good. I agree that the velocity is a bit concerning though.

I knew the new Gio would be better than reylo. I called it on this board before he ever threw a pitch in the big leagues. On a side note, why isn't reylo on our top 30 prospects on MLB.com anymore when Moncada and Gioloto are?

QUOTE (Tony @ Aug 27, 2017 -> 02:39 PM)
Ausmus on Giolito: "He wasn’t one of these young pitchers that comes up throwing 95 to 97 mph. He pitched."

The kid is smart....he is going to have some struggles because his mechanics are still a work in process, but he's a smart kid who understands the game. There is a lot about his delivery and stuff that reminds me of Gavin Floyd (with a bit more juice on his fastball when working and a slightly better changeup).