2018 Democrats thread

southsider2k5

This isnt really complicated. Republican's know that they are in the minority. They know that their days are numbered. Maybe their attempts will stall the inevitable for a few years, but there will be a day of reckoning. 

That is why the old guard didnt want to blow up things like 60 votes for SCOTUS etc, because they know that one day they will be the minority party. At this point I think their only option is to try and double down on all of this. They have created so much anger and animosity, that they know what is going to happen in the future. I just think a lot of them are hopeful that they are old enough that theyll be dead before they have to answer for it. 

The New York attorney general's new lawsuit against the Donald J. Trump Foundation contains the bombshell revelation that 2016 campaign manager Corey Lewandowski sought to distribute (Trump charitable) foundation funds at the onset of the primaries, a propitious moment for candidate Trump. "Is there any way we can make disbursements this week while in Iowa?" he asked in an email to the Trump Foundation CFO and treasurer. At least five Iowa organizations received $100,000 gifts from the Trump foundation.

source: cnn.com

Bet those Trump kids are second-guessing their forays into politics about now...

2 hours ago, Soxbadger said:

This isnt really complicated. Republican's know that they are in the minority. They know that their days are numbered. Maybe their attempts will stall the inevitable for a few years, but there will be a day of reckoning. 

That is why the old guard didnt want to blow up things like 60 votes for SCOTUS etc, because they know that one day they will be the minority party. At this point I think their only option is to try and double down on all of this. They have created so much anger and animosity, that they know what is going to happen in the future. I just think a lot of them are hopeful that they are old enough that theyll be dead before they have to answer for it. 

Yeah, Corey Robin has written some interesting stuff on that over the years and especially recently. When you can no longer build majority coalitions, you retreat to procedural tricks and every anti-democratic trick in the book to maintain power.

Speaking of,

Roberts eliminating the voting rights act's most important part with zero legal justification while ignoring the explicit powers granted to Congress is working exactly as intended. Democrats should be pushing for a voting rights amendment, probably federalization of voting laws as well. At least minimum standards and requirements.

Can You Think of Any Other Ways to Spend $716 Billion?

Only 7 Democrats and Sanders voted against this.  Embarrassing.

Sanders, Lee, and Connecticut’s Chris Murphy also tried to introduce an amendment preventing U.S. military planes from refueling Saudi coalition bombers in the campaign against Yemen, which, by some estimates has killed over 10,000 civilians and displaced over 3 million.

The amendment, too, was killed.

This country loves brutality.  So, Murphy knew this bill would help fund Saudi bombers as they kill mass amounts of people.  He still voted for it anyway.  Completely worthless.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GoSox05 said:

Can You Think of Any Other Ways to Spend $716 Billion?

Only 7 Democrats and Sanders voted against this.  Embarrassing.

This country loves brutality.  So, Murphy knew this bill would help fund Saudi bombers as they kill mass amounts of people.  He still voted for it anyway.  Completely worthless.

So was it $716 billion for one year of military spending and not $80 something billion? Too bad a fraction of that can’t go to helping people with public education, at least at the community college level or through academic GPA set scholarships.

13 hours ago, The Beast said:

So was it $716 billion for one year of military spending and not $80 something billion? Too bad a fraction of that can’t go to helping people with public education, at least at the community college level or through academic GPA set scholarships.

Yeah, it's 716 billion for this year.  82 billion dollar increase from last year. 

They could have just kept it at around 600 billion and took that 80 billion and used it to fund college education, but that would be crazy. 

Love to spend almost a trillion dollars a year on military as the country rots. 

The best part is that our military procurement is run so poorly that despite spending absurd amounts of money a lot of equipment is in poor shape.

Decades of forever war don't help for readiness, either.

But yeah we could easily afford college and healthcare for everyone if we wanted.

People want to know how an evangelical can support a self-proclaimed pimp,” Fuentes said in an interview at his home in Pahrump, an unincorporated town of 36,000 people that is the largest community in the sprawling, rural district where Hof is favored to win in November's general election.

He said the reason was simple. “We have politicians, they might speak good words, not sleep with prostitutes, be a good neighbor. But by their decisions, they have evil in their heart. Dennis Hof (Bunny Ranch owner in NV, Cathouse reality show) is not like that."

The pastor said he felt Hof would protect religious rights, among other things.

In Hof's Republican-leaning district, seven evangelicals said they voted for him because they believed that he, who like Trump is a wealthy businessman and political outsider, would also clean up politics and not be beholden to special-interest groups and their money.

"I’m kind of rich, I’m kind of famous, and I’m surrounded by hot chicks. I don’t give a damn what anybody says about me," Hof said.

The source of Hof's wealth - he owns a strip club and five legal brothels - did not deter his supporters.

Nor did the allegations by several women that Hof sexually abused them. Hof denied the accusations, including a former sex worker's claim that he raped and choked her several years ago, and the voters interviewed by Reuters dismissed them as lies.

Hof was reluctant to discuss his own Christian faith.

"I don't share my beliefs with the public," he said. "I don't feel the need to go to church on a regular basis."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/age-trump-evangelicals-back-self-styled-top-u-112721399.html

Edited by caulfield12

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

If nothing else, it provides cover to the radical right's claim that they are also victims.  It is a strategy that will fail for the Dems.

If it was that simple, the Tea Party wouldn’t have so effectively wiped out Obama’s majorities in 2010...as the shouting down of Democratic town hall meetings was widespread, just like the liberal pushback in 2017 and 2018 to Trump policies has been.  We can argue whose policies or methods are more/most extreme.  In the end, more gridlock and our country continually more polarized.

It makes no sense why it would work for one side but not the other.  Turnabout is fair play, right?

10 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

If it was that simple, the Tea Party wouldn’t have so effectively wiped out Obama’s majorities in 2010...as the shouting down of Democratic town hall meetings was widespread, just like the liberal pushback in 2017 and 2018 to Trump policies has been.  We can argue whose policies or methods are more/most extreme.  In the end, more gridlock and our country continually more polarized.

It makes no sense why it would work for one side but not the other.  Turnabout is fair play, right?

It is two different groups.  I think that is what you are missing.  This strategy completely failed against W, and it has failed against Trump.  If the Dems want to turn this into revenge like you are talking about, historically it doesn't work.

Can't wait to read 900 op-ed pieces by centrists about how the left are being mean to people who are locking children in cages and people who wan to make sure someone with a pre- existing condition can't get healthcare.

Instead read this.  Politics have real world consequences. 

When you aggressively f**k with people’s lives, you should not be surprised when they decide to f**k with yours.

This Is Just the Beginning

Edited by GoSox05
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

It is two different groups.  I think that is what you are missing.  This strategy completely failed against W, and it has failed against Trump.  If the Dems want to turn this into revenge like you are talking about, historically it doesn't work.

2006?   What would you call that?  A firm rebuke, but not a rout?