Hahn confirmed: No Eloy in '18

southsider2k5

26 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Ok. In this situation, I would have a problem with the Super 2 deadline as should the player. I've stated all along that the next service time deadline after he is deemed ready is justifiable.  He is obviously ready now so the next deadline would be April 15th one whichever one that is. To skip over that one and now wait another 30 days or whatever that would be, would piss me off.

If he was still struggling, waiting the time in the minors at the beginning of the year is justiable.

Again, I'm not arguing it's not a good business decision in the short term. Just that is it worth the chance of harming thebl0ng term business plan.

The other thing to keep in mind, if somehow the grudge thought was true, the odds of RH, KW, and JR being around in 2025 when it would be time for him to cash in on that grudge, is pretty small. 

4 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

Actually the Red Sox ( maybe it is Dombrowski ) does not do this. Obviosuly they brought up Beninteni and Moncada right from AA. They then traded Moncada and brought up Devers  at 20. I saw an article a few weeks ago where Dombrowski said he was against holding a player back for service time. He said the best coaches are in the majors and you can slow down progression leaving a kid in AAA. Now the other side of that is Boston has money and they are pretty confident they can keep their young players. But obviossly the Theo regime did not think this way. I wonder if Dombrowwski did the same thing in Detroit? Avi didn't spend much time in AAA

Running the Red Sox, Yankees, Cubs, and Dodgers is a pretty different game than running most of the rest of the league. 

I really doubt if Dombrowski was running the White Sox, he would give up the extra year of control right now for some September meaningless games.

I think Hahn made the right choice. He is stressing patience and sustained success. He likely would have done the same with Moncada if Boston didn't bring him up in 2016. Looking at the 2019 schedule, it appears as if April 15th would be the most appropriate time for his call up. They will begin a series at home against KC. They can also opt to call him up against the Yankees the series before that. But that series is on the road. See you in April, Eloy! :) 

18 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The other thing to keep in mind, if somehow the grudge thought was true, the odds of RH, KW, and JR being around in 2025 when it would be time for him to cash in on that grudge, is pretty small. 

This would need be a consideration as well.

33 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

Actually the Red Sox ( maybe it is Dombrowski ) does not do this. Obviosuly they brought up Beninteni and Moncada right from AA. They then traded Moncada and brought up Devers  at 20. I saw an article a few weeks ago where Dombrowski said he was against holding a player back for service time. He said the best coaches are in the majors and you can slow down progression leaving a kid in AAA. Now the other side of that is Boston has money and they are pretty confident they can keep their young players. But obviossly the Theo regime did not think this way. I wonder if Dombrowwski did the same thing in Detroit? Avi didn't spend much time in AAA

The Red Sox were also in a position to win where calling up those guys that season made sense. So they really aren't a good example of a team in the White Sox position.

Edited by soxfan2014

16 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Running the Red Sox, Yankees, Cubs, and Dodgers is a pretty different game than running most of the rest of the league. 

I really doubt if Dombrowski was running the White Sox, he would give up the extra year of control right now for some September meaningless games.

No doubt. Each team, each situation is unique. You can't apply the general ideas to all situations. The Jimenez situation is rare, where a player is performing at such a high level and has been outspoken at the handling of the situation. The team situation also plays a role.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

The Red Sox were also in a position to win where calling up those guys that season made sense. So they really aren't a good example of a team (in the White Sox position).

Yes. I have no doubt if the White Sox were in playoff contention, Eloy would have been up. But the stars aligned to do what they are doing. That's why I have always said every team in their position would do what they are doing. 

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Thanks 1

What role do you think that a growing camaraderie might play with this group of youngsters? If they can begin their winning culture together, that may have more of an impact on the future contract status, than this dispute. Don't discount the common Latin heritage as a factor, as well. It is conceivable that the core could include Moncada, Jimenez, Robert, Basabe, Adolfo and maybe even Abreu and Avi. Then there is the possibility of a Latin Free Agent being added to the group. They might establish a bond and a winning record, which would make Eloy even more desirous of staying on the South side. He has already professed his love of the city.

If that scenario should transpire, maybe the front office should use their financial resources to keep these young guys, in lieu of chasing free agents.