Machado drops bat by catcher's feet??

vilehoopster

Has anyone see this?  

www.mlb.com/news/d-backs-announcers-call-manny-machado-bush-league

The Arizona announcers aren't very nice to Machado. But really, I somewhat agree with them. 

What do you think? I think he did exactly what the announcers are saying he did; I agree with them. But it's tough. I am far from confident. But that type of act (dropping the bat there) is pure Manny Machado. 

I was never in love with the Sox signing him. But now that we missed, I glad. I don't want to cheer for an A-hole. 

1 hour ago, oldsox said:

I saw it and put it in some other thread.  Foul ball on first base side, catcher looking up, Manny lays his bat right in front of catcher.  Ump tossed him, of course.  Manny argued, of course.

Again, the ump did not toss Machado. He was just called out on the play for interference. 

The umpire may have thought that he saw the front of Machado's foot, just clip the catcher's heel, and that might have been the justification for calling interference. It was Brenley, who was announcing the game for the Diamond Backs, who angrily described Manny's dropping his bat, by the catcher, as "bush league". If you watch the play, you will see that Machado may very well have intentionally placed the bat near the catcher. Because the catcher ultimately had to move further up the first base line, in his attempt to catch the foul ball, the bat never really obstructed him. However, Manny could not have known exactly where the ball would come down and he certainly appeared to be putting it near the catcher. If that ball had come down, closer to the plate, the catcher could very well have tripped on it. 

Given his history, I wouldn't give Machado the benefit of the doubt. He also pretended to not even recognize that his placement of the bat was an issue. He simply said that he didn't think that he touched the catcher. Who knows? It's just another instance of Manny  being Manny, and one which reinforces the perception that he is a jerk, if not a dirty player.

Edited by Lillian
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

Manny Machado has two more RBI than Nelson Cruz. Hmmmm. Manny is human. He's .267, 4 HR, 8 RBI. So he has nine bases on balls. Don't try to tell me his advanced stats are amazing. As of mid-April, Manny is meh right now. Feel better?

Now Harper is .268, 4 HR and 10 RBI with a ton of walks. OK, I wanted him more than Manny anyway.

Moncada is .323, 3 HR, 14 RBI, just four walks. And Timmy is .453, 3 HR, 10 RBI with one walk.

Folks, I still despise Hahn for the rebuild, but cmon, the Manny love is a bit misguided considering how much $$ he's making compared to our stat stuffers Timmy and Yoan!!!! Go Sox.

(how do you like greg looking up all this stuff?? Impressive greg?

8 hours ago, greg775 said:

Manny Machado has two more RBI than Nelson Cruz. Hmmmm. Manny is human. He's .267, 4 HR, 8 RBI. So he has nine bases on balls. Don't try to tell me his advanced stats are amazing. As of mid-April, Manny is meh right now. Feel better?

Now Harper is .268, 4 HR and 10 RBI with a ton of walks. OK, I wanted him more than Manny anyway.

Moncada is .323, 3 HR, 14 RBI, just four walks. And Timmy is .453, 3 HR, 10 RBI with one walk.

Folks, I still despise Hahn for the rebuild, but cmon, the Manny love is a bit misguided considering how much $$ he's making compared to our stat stuffers Timmy and Yoan!!!! Go Sox.

(how do you like greg looking up all this stuff?? Impressive greg?

I mean, I'd gladly take Moncada's production at 2B and Manny at 3B. Compare Manny's bat to Yolmer.

Edited by soxfan2014

• 2 weeks later...

After his first 100 at bats, his numbers are very pedestrian. He is barely a replacement level player, so far. Why does that make me smile? I'm sure that he will put up some decent numbers, before long, but in the meantime, I do so enjoy watching him waste lots of the Padres' money.

Edited by Lillian

On 5/2/2019 at 9:34 AM, Lillian said:

After his first 100 at bats, his numbers are very pedestrian. He is barely a replacement level player, so far. Why does that make me smile? I'm sure that he will put up some decent numbers, before long, but in the meantime, I do so enjoy watching him waste lots of the Padres' money.

Yeah, eventually he will turn it around. I'm torn on if I want him to hit like this every year of his contract or not: It would be nice to not be paying for that type of production. But on the other hand, I don't want Jerry and co let off the hook. Jerry can point at this as a reason to never give out money to star players (not that he needs anymore reasons since he already doesn't anyway).

Edited by soxfan2014

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/3/2019 at 11:09 AM, soxfan2014 said:

Yeah, eventually he will turn it around. I'm torn on if I want him to hit like this every year of his contract or not: It would be nice to not be paying for that type of production. But on the other hand, I don't want Jerry and co let off the hook. Jerry can point at this as a reason to never give out money to star players (not that he needs anymore reasons since he already doesn't anyway).

Given the way Machado is underperforming with that contract, maybe J.R. is right. We are almost one third of the way through the season and Manny is 72ND in RBI's, among all Big Leaguers. Harper isn't living up to expectations either. They certainly are not the "young stars" of the game, which everyone seemed to think they were. Bellinger, Yelich, Bell and Springer have grabbed that mantel, while Harper and Machado have suddenly become after thoughts, for this year's All Star game. If you had to base the vote on this year's performance, neither one of them would make the team.

Edited by Lillian