An unmitigated disaster

Jake

Those who know me around here will know that I'm not prone to despair. I'm not big on firing management as the solution to problems. I'm big on patience.

That being said, I think we're at the point where we can say the 2019 season has been an unmitigated disaster for the White Sox minor league system.

Pitchers

Here are our top pitching prospects after last season, per FanGraphs:

• Michael Kopech (had TJS last season)
  • Dylan Cease (fine)
  • Dane Dunning (TJS during spring training this year)
  • Jimmy Lambert (TJS just days ago)
  • Tyler Johnson (just now returning from injury that has kept him out so far this year)
  • Jordan Stephens (pitched like ass in AAA, lost to waiver claim)
  • Konnor Pilkington (no change in status; good in A, mixed results in A+)
  • Alec Hansen (has the yips)
  • Zack Burdi (out for season with knee injury, was returning from TJS)
  • Codi Heuer (doing fine in low minors)

Add to them Ryan Burr (TJS), Ian Hamilton (a series of unfortunate events), Caleb Frare (poor performance that comes close to yips level).

Players of note who have only recently lost prospect status are Bummer (great story), Jace Fry (mixed bag), and Fulmer (no change from last year).

We've been ravaged by injuries and nobody has increased their stock to make up for it. Lambert was coming close to doing that, but he got bitten by the TJS bug as well. Kyle Kubat is sort of a feel-good story, but one that's hard to really believe in and is really more the type of guy we would pin our hopes on 10 years ago when the system was completely barren.

Hitters

Top prospects per FG:

• Eloy (doing fine in MLB)
  • Nick Madrigal (doing well in AA; felt like a disappointment until 3-4 weeks ago when he caught fire)
  • Luis Robert (most positive development in the system this year)
  • Micker Adolfo (re-injured TJS elbow, out for season after brutal play in AA)
  • Luis Basabe (missed 2 months with injury, poor performance thus far in AA)
  • Blake Rutherford (brutal start to season in AA, getting better lately, but still major disappointment at this juncture)
  • Luis Gonzalez (ditto everything about Rutherford)
  • Zack Collins (hot start, slow June, but got the call to MLB; jury's out)
  • Jake Burger (vaguely defined heel injury going to cost him most or all of season)
  • Steele Walker (tore up A, catching fire in A+, solid year)
  • Seby Zavala (very uneven performance in AAA, absolutely overwhelmed in brief MLB stint)
  • Gavin Sheets (similar story to Rutherford/Gonzalez, but a sadder one because he's a 1B; he has gotten to his power better)
  • Luis Mieses (who? Just started short-season ball)

Outside this group, we can mention just to make ourselves feel better that young MLBers Moncada and Anderson have had breakout seasons. Danny Mendick made an impression in spring training and is playing fine in AAA, but he's old with limited upside: think Tyler Saladino. Bryce Bush has shown flashes in A ball, but seems to have already moved off 3B and has had some runs of truly terrible play.

Overall

We've had one major minor league story this year: the breakout of Luis Robert. And let's not understate its importance because Robert is approaching the god-tier of prospect status. Depth is great, but one Moncada/Eloy/Robert level prospect is worth several Blake Rutherfords (on his good days) at the least.

Nick Madrigal was spinning his wheels for much of the year, but he has caught fire recently and kept things up in AA. His limitations are still quite evident, but at least his strengths are as well. He's on a timeline that could see him in MLB next year.

Dylan Cease started out very strong and has struggled recently but not enough that it should cause great concern. From the sound of it, he'll be in MLB soon for better or worse.

We drafted Andrew Vaughn. Neat.

After that...yikes. There's still a couple months left, thankfully, but as of now on both sides of the ball we've seen the utter decimation of everything. It's difficult to argue that there's any meaningful depth in the system at this point. The HS pitchers we drafted are nice, but for now I won't be considering them as too much is unknown. We badly need a couple of these young hitters in AA to turn it around. The pitching is so devastated by injuries it's hard to even wish any success because all the starters with solid MLB potential are hurt.

I'm not here to offer solutions or even blame, but it should be recognized that Luis Robert is carrying a lot of freight in making it seem like the farm is going to give us good players. Under the surface, it's a sinking ship.

1 hour ago, Jake said:

Those who know me around here will know that I'm not prone to despair. I'm not big on firing management as the solution to problems. I'm big on patience.

That being said, I think we're at the point where we can say the 2019 season has been an unmitigated disaster for the White Sox minor league system.

Pitchers

Here are our top pitching prospects after last season, per FanGraphs:

• Michael Kopech (had TJS last season)
  • Dylan Cease (fine)
  • Dane Dunning (TJS during spring training this year)
  • Jimmy Lambert (TJS just days ago)
  • Tyler Johnson (just now returning from injury that has kept him out so far this year)
  • Konnor Pilkington (no change in status; good in A, mixed results in A+)
  • Alec Hansen (has the yips)
  • Zack Burdi (out for season with knee injury, was returning from TJS)
  • Codi Heuer (doing fine in low minors)

Add to them Ryan Burr (TJS), Ian Hamilton (a series of unfortunate events), Caleb Frare (poor performance that comes close to yips level).

Players of note who have only recently lost prospect status are Bummer (great story), Jace Fry (mixed bag), and Fulmer (no change from last year).

We've been ravaged by injuries and nobody has increased their stock to make up for it. Lambert was coming close to doing that, but he got bitten by the TJS bug as well. Kyle Kubat is sort of a feel-good story, but one that's hard to really believe in and is really more the type of guy we would pin our hopes on 10 years ago when the system was completely barren.

Hitters

Top prospects per FG:

• Eloy (doing fine in MLB)
  • Nick Madrigal (doing well in AA; felt like a disappointment until 3-4 weeks ago when he caught fire)
  • Luis Robert (most positive development in the system this year)
  • Micker Adolfo (re-injured TJS elbow, out for season after brutal play in AA)
  • Luis Basabe (missed 2 months with injury, poor performance thus far in AA)
  • Blake Rutherford (brutal start to season in AA, getting better lately, but still major disappointment at this juncture)
  • Luis Gonzalez (ditto everything about Rutherford)
  • Zack Collins (hot start, slow June, but got the call to MLB; jury's out)
  • Jake Burger (vaguely defined heel injury going to cost him most or all of season)
  • Steele Walker (tore up A, catching fire in A+, solid year)
  • Seby Zavala (very uneven performance in AAA, absolutely overwhelmed in brief MLB stint)
  • Gavin Sheets (similar story to Rutherford/Gonzalez, but a sadder one because he's a 1B; he has gotten to his power better)
  • Luis Mieses (who? Just started short-season ball)

Outside this group, we can mention just to make ourselves feel better that young MLBers Moncada and Anderson have had breakout seasons. Danny Mendick made an impression in spring training and is playing fine in AAA, but he's old with limited upside: think Tyler Saladino. Bryce Bush has shown flashes in A ball, but seems to have already moved off 3B and has had some runs of truly terrible play.

Overall

We've had one major minor league story this year: the breakout of Luis Robert. And let's not understate its importance because Robert is approaching the god-tier of prospect status. Depth is great, but one Moncada/Eloy/Robert level prospect is worth several Blake Rutherfords (on his good days) at the least.

Nick Madrigal was spinning his wheels for much of the year, but he has caught fire recently and kept things up in AA. His limitations are still quite evident, but at least his strengths are as well. He's on a timeline that could see him in MLB next year.

Dylan Cease started out very strong and has struggled recently but not enough that it should cause great concern. From the sound of it, he'll be in MLB soon for better or worse.

We drafted Andrew Vaughn. Neat.

After that...yikes. There's still a couple months left, thankfully, but as of now on both sides of the ball we've seen the utter decimation of everything. It's difficult to argue that there's any meaningful depth in the system at this point. The HS pitchers we drafted are nice, but for now I won't be considering them as too much is unknown. We badly need a couple of these young hitters in AA to turn it around. The pitching is so devastated by injuries it's hard to even wish any success because all the starters with solid MLB potential are hurt.

I'm not here to offer solutions or even blame, but it should be recognized that Luis Robert is carrying a lot of freight in making it seem like the farm is going to give us good players. Under the surface, it's a sinking ship.

Too pessimistic on Sheets, Rutherford and Gonzalez. mostly Rutherford. P.S. No one can control injuries. Although, it is a little bit nutty 

just how bad it's been.

Edited by zisk

I don't want to place blame on injuries either. But that is a lot of torn ligaments for pitchers. I mean like red flags going up alot! I really wonder if there's any other organization that has more tjs for there pitchers than the whitesox? And don't forget, Carlos Rodon at the major league level too.

12 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Adolfo.. "brutal play". FFS.

I know his OPS looks decent compared to the other underachievers down there, but striking out in 40% of his plate appearances was a major cause for concern

12 hours ago, TaylorStSox said:

The only things I would disagree with are Rutherford and Walker. Both have made progress as prospects imo. 

I guess the thing I don't get is people looking to place blame for injuries. I just don't think the vast majority are preventable. 

I'm hoping Rutherford's recent hot streak is a sign that he's figured something out, but if the season ended today it's hard to say he's improved his standing or given much confidence that he's a MLB.

I didn't say anything negative about Walker, I said he tore up A ball and is getting hot in A+

14 hours ago, Jake said:

Currently pitching well with the Indians AA Akron Wood Ducks.

Why did they waive him anyway?  There are older and worse pitchers on Charlotte.  And this org. is so light in pitching.

54 minutes ago, Jake said:

I know his OPS looks decent compared to the other underachievers down there, but striking out in 40% of his plate appearances was a major cause for concern

I'm hoping Rutherford's recent hot streak is a sign that he's figured something out, but if the season ended today it's hard to say he's improved his standing or given much confidence that he's a MLB.

I didn't say anything negative about Walker, I said he tore up A ball and is getting hot in A+

Right on. It's easy to see why he's polarizing. At some point, the production has to match the talent. I wouldn't be surprised if he finishes this year over .300, starts next year at AAA, tears it up and is knocking on the door by '21. I still think his floor is 4th OF. He just looks like a kid that's going to make it to me. 

• Haha 1