NFL 2021 offseason thread

11 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

This - but in the court of public opinion - this move basically magnifies how bad the Foles move was.  Reality is it is why all of the fan base is up in arms (and I don't blame them).  But I'm just glad - if this was their panic move - it was a move that doesn't kill future cap space nor cost draft picks.  Like I wanted Winston - but lets say Pace got into a bidding war with the Saints and offered Winston like $30M guaranteed and tied up cap space for the next 3-4 years.  That would have been a far bigger disaster (on paper) - even if I liked the upside of the player more.  

100% agree.  Foles was a horrible move from the get-go and this only cements that.  And I would have loved to gamble on Winston on a one year deal instead of Dalton, but I’m assuming that wasn’t possible.  Personally, short of a Wilson or Winston trade, I’m just glad we’re not committing multiple years or major assets to a B or C tier option.

9 minutes ago, Tony said:

But you also aren't grasping that fans are upset, understandably with this premise as well. The plan is now try and "contend for a playoff spot" with Andy Dalton? That's where the Bears and the fanbase is? Sorry, I don't accept that, not after the absolute shitfest we've been witness to the last 40+ years. 

If you want to go all in for Russ/Watson....fine. Most Bears fans are OK with getting crazy for a franchise QB. If you can't acquire either of them.......Andy Dalton does what exactly? It doesn't even matter if you think Dalton is better than Foles......Lets say Foles is a D and Dalton is a C. What does a C level QB get this team in 2021?  

I have to assume it is a C+/B- level QB (in their eyes) + a young upside move.  Who knows - maybe they are about to acquire D'Arnold eventually.  I don't know what to make of that either - bottom line - they were never running it back with Foles or Trubisky.  This might be the same thing - if it is - a new front office will be there soon enough - but i assume it is this and another QB and I wonder if we see Foles moved.  Not sure if you get any value - but his contract isn't awful for the above avg back-up that he is - so I could still see a situation where Bears move on, save a bit of cap space on Foles, while switching their bridge QB to Dalton. 

If that happens - I don't think I would necessarily fault that - but I am assuming that because I can't just see them sticking with Foles/Dalton.  Like no way is that how Pace/Nagy are going to go down?  Unless they are about to spend a bunch of money on defense and just say - we'll go with a game manager, draft some olineman and skill positions and spend more money on D and see if we can back into playoffs that way and save our job. 

9 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If they're drafting a QB (presumably trading up to do so), saving that extra $10 million would be useful to improve the O-Line in front of that QB. Play Foles to start the year until your drafted QB is "ready enough". He's already on the roster, that's a sunk cost.

Dalton will be in the same boat as Glennon before long, not nearly good enough, losing games early in the season, forcing the young guy into action.

I fully disagree that Foles is even a temporary option and Bears fans saying as much are doing so simply because he’s already on the roster.  To be honest, I think most of the hate here is Bears fans being pissed about losing out on Wilson.  I get wishing we had $10M to invest elsewhere, but if we know Foles is not the answer then it’s a small price to pay for a potential improvement at QB that requires zero long-term commitment.  If he fails, we simply kick off a rebuild a year from now with a new GM in a place and possibly a franchise QB under contract.  Again, I’m not overly excited about this move, but Pace was always going to do something like this at minimum and the long-term risk here is basically zero.  Would you have preferred Tyrod Taylor or Alex Smith instead?

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

For the record; Biggs says Bears may not be done remaking their QB room.

They may go after Alex Smith!

Did he really say they are going after Alex Smith?  Or more that they aren't done remaking the QB room. I fully believe that we will see them (attempt) to trade up and get one of the top QB's in the draft (or acquire a Tua/D'Arnold as a fall out) and/or continue to make a play at Wilson/Watson. I don't see how a 1yr deal for Dalton prevents them from eventually making a deal on Watson/Wilson.  If you get to that point - where there is a will - there is a way.  

I am curious to see if they move on from Foles, what they do with Robinson, and where else and how they choose to tie-up their remaining cap space.  

12 minutes ago, bmags said:

If the Bears aren’t planning to draft a QB, then this is an abomination of a move.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

If the Bears aren’t planning to draft a QB, then this is an abomination of a move.

I like these QBs (I mean I like the idea of Lance but he’s just a paragraph profile to me) but it is impossible now for me to be excited that the front office that has specifically chosen Trubisky, Glennon, Foles and Dalton is going to be able to get the great QB and not the inevitable bust. And to move up it’s likely needing to move a future first 

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I double-down on this.  That said - if they don't think they can leap frog and/or they don't like their chances to do so - than I guess at that point - there isn't much better a path than the one they are going down.  But if that were the case - I would have played the game of chicken and waited to see if Ryan, D'Arnold, and / or Tua became available vs. inking Dalton now.  

This has to be Bears messaging to try and give them some leverage in talks with other teams when it comes to moving up, etc?  Has to be. 

• Like 1

After thinking about it some more, I’m having a hard time seeing this as the only move they will make for a QB. They are only committing to one year of Dalton. If they viewed him as a long term option, they would’ve offered him more years. They would still need to go out and get a QB next year or draft one this year. I think they may actually have something else up their sleeve.

Edited by maloney.adam

5 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

After thinking about it some more, I’m having a hard time seeing this as the only move they will make for a QB. They are only committing to one year of Dalton. If they viewed him as a long term option, they would’ve offered him more years. They would still need to go out and get a QB next year or draft one this year. I think they may actually have something else up their sleeve.

I'm convinced of this and any report saying Bears think Dalton is the starter is really just them trying to put some smoke around their actual intentions.  It could also be wishful thinking on my part. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I'm convinced of this and any report saying Bears think Dalton is the starter is really just them trying to put some smoke around their actual intentions.  It could also be wishful thinking on my part. 

If I were the Bears, I would try to trade one or two of their top defensive players and maybe Anthony Miller for a top pick so they can draft one of the top QB’s and than find a way to not trade the 20th pick and use it on an offensive lineman. That may be wishful thinking but also quite possible.

Edited by maloney.adam
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I double-down on this.  That said - if they don't think they can leap frog and/or they don't like their chances to do so - than I guess at that point - there isn't much better a path than the one they are going down.  But if that were the case - I would have played the game of chicken and waited to see if Ryan, D'Arnold, and / or Tua became available vs. inking Dalton now.  

This has to be Bears messaging to try and give them some leverage in talks with other teams when it comes to moving up, etc?  Has to be. 

If they’re not planning on drafting a QB, then why not at least go for someone like Mariota who is also a question mark but with far more upside and could theoretically become the long-term answer?  I still think they draft a QB in the 1st or Pace would have done something much bolder given his lame duck status.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If they’re not planning on drafting a QB, then why not at least go for someone like Mariota who is also a question mark but with far more upside and could theoretically become the long-term answer?  I still think they draft a QB in the 1st or Pace would have done something much bolder given his lame duck status.

I agree, I think they view Dalton as a low risk high reward move. If it doesn’t work out at least they have him as a mentor to whoever they select in the draft. I think Foles is going to get traded.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, bmags said:

I like these QBs (I mean I like the idea of Lance but he’s just a paragraph profile to me) but it is impossible now for me to be excited that the front office that has specifically chosen Trubisky, Glennon, Foles and Dalton is going to be able to get the great QB and not the inevitable bust. And to move up it’s likely needing to move a future first 

Trust me, I’m not excited about the guy who traded up one spot to get Mitch Trubsiky (when Mahomes & Watson would have been available), signed Mike Glennon to a sizable three year deal, and traded a 4th round pick for Nick Foles (a player the Jaguars would have likely given away or cut) making our next QB selection.  But at this point, even if Pace selects the next Josh Rosen hopefully that will give his replacement the draft position to select the next Kyler Murray the following year.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Trust me, I’m not excited about the guy who traded up one spot to get Mitch Trubsiky (when Mahomes & Watson would have been available), signed Mike Glennon to a sizable three year deal, and traded a 4th round pick for Nick Foles (a player the Jaguars would have likely given away or cut) making our next QB selection.  But at this point, even if Pace selects the next Josh Rosen hopefully that will give his replacement the draft position to select the next Kyler Murray the following year.

Except another team May own the pick

20 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

If I were the Bears, I would try to trade one or two of their top defensive players and maybe Anthony Miller for a top pick so they can draft one of the top QB’s and than find a way to not trade the 20th pick and use it on an offensive lineman. That may be wishful thinking but also quite possible.

I'd get on board with this. I don't that would get them a top pick - but if it could - I would be 100% okay with that.  

9 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

I agree, I think they view Dalton as a low risk high reward move. If it doesn’t work out at least they have him as a mentor to whoever they select in the draft. I think Foles is going to get traded.

I think you are 100% right here - probably not for much - like a conditional 6th or 7th - but I think he'll be moved.  

13 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Mariota isn't a free agent (I don't think) - so I'm assuming they didn't like the cost for Mariotta (which would include the use of draft picks) over Dalton (where it was just money).  

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

Except another team May own the pick

I still don’t think it’s going to cost a future 1st to get the last of the big five QB prospects, but obviously I’m assuming one of Jones or Lance falls to around 15 or so.  The Cardinals gave up a 3rd & 5th to move up five spots to draft Rosen back in 2018.  I’d expect something similar to move up from 20th to the 15th pick range.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I still don’t think it’s going to cost a future 1st to get the last of the big five QB prospects, but obviously I’m assuming one of Jones or Lance falls to around 15 or so.  The Cardinals gave up a 3rd & 5th to move up five spots to draft Rosen back in 2018.  I’d expect something similar to move up from 20th to the 15th pick range.

It all depends on how many teams are hunting that final QB...but I hope you are right.  Unrelated - but I read this elsewhere  - but apparently the Bears can structurally adjust the Foles contract and essentially trade Foles and take just a $1M cap hit.  So if that were to actually play out (even if for a 7th round pick a year from now) - I think I would be 100% okay with Dalton being a better backup and/or bridge starter depending on what the team does over next 3 months.  

In fact - if you do that - you essentially are in no different of a spot as we started the day - with exception that Dalton is your starter (vs. Foles)  if you can't swing big for Wilson/Watson/Trade-Up/Get one of the young QB's on the block. I will tell myself that is exactly what the Bears will do....but reality is that is probably too smart of an outcome and shows too much damn foresight :)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Mariota isn't a free agent (I don't think) - so I'm assuming they didn't like the cost for Mariotta (which would include the use of draft picks) over Dalton (where it was just money).  

But if you’re operating under lame duck status and don’t want to draft a rookie QB, why not just trade a mid round pick or two for him or even Minshew?  My point is these guys can’t think Dalton on his own is the answer for 2021, so why not trade away a bit from a future that isn’t promised to you for a solution with more upside today.  I think the reason is they plan to draft a QB in the 1st round.  That being said, it’s very possible they are just horrible at QB evaluation and plan to rock & roll with Dalton and Alex Smith as their QB room, but I just don’t buy it.

5 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

It all depends on how many teams are hunting that final QB...but I hope you are right.  Unrelated - but I read this elsewhere  - but apparently the Bears can structurally adjust the Foles contract and essentially trade Foles and take just a $1M cap hit.  So if that were to actually play out (even if for a 7th round pick a year from now) - I think I would be 100% okay with Dalton being a better backup and/or bridge starter depending on what the team does over next 3 months.  

In fact - if you do that - you essentially are in no different of a spot as we started the day - with exception that Dalton is your starter (vs. Foles)  if you can't swing big for Wilson/Watson/Trade-Up/Get one of the young QB's on the block. I will tell myself that is exactly what the Bears will do....but reality is that is probably too smart of an outcome and shows too much damn foresight :)

Why would another team take on the bulk of Foles's cap hit to get a 7th round pick? 

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Why would another team take on the bulk of Foles's cap hit to get a 7th round pick? 

I don't think Foles cap hit is that bad for a team with a young QB. Heck - even the Eagles - is Foles a bad back-up for Hurts (if that is the route they are going). Foles is getting paid a fair deal for a solid back-up. I rip on Foles - but that is as a starter - as a back-up that can win you a couple games while your starter is hurt - he is a pretty good fit, especially for a team where their starter is on a rookie scale type of deal.  

What he isn't - is a good fit on this roster where you have Dalton + presumably another shot.