NFL 2021 offseason thread

24 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Mitch Trubisky is a terrible QB and an aged Dalton is most definitely better.  How much better is certainly up for debate, but people using stats alone from last year to act like Mitch wasn’t a horrible decision-maker who couldn’t throw the ball downfield must not have watched any of our games.  Again, I’m not suggesting Dalton is something that he’s not at this point in his career,  but if I’m GM and my job is on the line there is zero debate I’m going with Andy over Mitch.

So what does it say when we have substantial stats from last year and a terrible decision maker who couldn’t throw the ball downfield has substantially better stats? And it’s not like Dallas had no playmakers, that offense even with no running game racked up yards with Dak. So yes, if you are saying ignore the stats my gut says Dalton is an upgrade, you are absolutely suggesting he is something he isn’t at this point in his career.

22 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

this is like arguing about whether cans of purina or friskies cat food tastes better. both are going to be awful.

I’m simply responding to the people arguing that Mitch is somehow better.  Either way, the Bears need to find a way to land one of the top five QB prospects in the draft for our QB room to make any sense.  If Pace’s plan is a Dalton vs. Foles competition with no long-term option in place, then 2021 will likely / hopefully be his last year in the GM role. 

Evidently Pace and Seahawks GM had secret meeting a couple days ago. Timing seems to align when Vegas went nuts. Bears offered 3 1sts, some 3rds and a player. Carrol vetoed it. 

Another rumor out there is Dalton contract may have opt out this year - meaning Bears could move on quickly at a minimal charge if they went another direction. No proof of this yet - but will be key to see what and how the Dalton deal is structured. 

5 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Evidently Pace and Seahawks GM had secret meeting a couple days ago. Timing seems to align when Vegas went nuts. Bears offered 3 1sts, some 3rds and a player. Carrol vetoed it. 

Another rumor out there is Dalton contract may have opt out this year - meaning Bears could move on quickly at a minimal charge if they went another direction. No proof of this yet - but will be key to see what and how the Dalton deal is structured. 

Why would Dalton opt out of this contract?  Even if he isn't starting, I highly doubt anyone would pay him more.

Just now, Balta1701 said:

How many Cowboys games did you watch?

Mitch's stats were better because he loaded up on crap teams. Dalton probably opens up a bit more of the play book. When Dalton was down, the Cowboys had no chance. If I had to win a game for anything significant and I had my choice between Dalton and Mitch, it's an easy answer. 

• Love 1

Just now, Dick Allen said:

Mitch's stats were better because he loaded up on crap teams. Dalton probably opens up a bit more of the play book. When Dalton was down, the Cowboys had no chance. If I had to win a game for anything significant and I had my choice between Dalton and Mitch, it's an easy answer. 

The cowboys were in the NFC east.

58 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Why would anyone think Ryan Pace could fix the QB situation especially this offseason, when he has very little wiggle room with the cap and doesn't have a high draft pick. We will forget his previous solutions of Glennon, Trubisky, and Foles.

And why would anyone think Matt Nagy is a guy who can develop one? I mentioned this Nagy's first season. One of my best friends is a football genius. A true football genius. Watching games with him is entertaining and educational. He told me near the end of Nagy's first season when the Bears were riding high and everyone thought Nagy was the greatest hire in team history, that the league had caught up to him and figured him out. His gimmicks weren't going to work anymore. He would have to adjust. Since then, unless the Bears are playing the dregs of the NFL, their offense is shit. My guy was as right as can be. 

Not getting rid of these guys exposes the the franchise to more damage they can do, while just delaying the inevitable  Maybe George realized the QB postion couldn't be solved this offseason and left them there to die on the sword. Put the new guy in a better position not to fail.

The amazing thing to me is just the Wilson thing started what, 2 weeks ago? So they had that day-long heart to heart where Ryan and Matt sold their plan to George, and apparently that plan was Andy Dalton.

7 minutes ago, bigruss said:

Why would Dalton opt out of this contract?  Even if he isn't starting, I highly doubt anyone would pay him more.

Sorry - opt out probably not right move - bears would have ability to cut him with a minimal cap hit. What I don’t know is why would Dalton do that -  but maybe he viewed the upside as worth it (ie very clear starter opportunity). 

11 minutes ago, bmags said:

The cowboys were in the NFC east.

Most of his starts were out of the division. He really only had 2 subpar games. One vs. Washington, and one at the end of the year vs. NYG when he was sacked 6 times, so he wasn't getting much support. 

It's an uninspiring signing, but one that probably should have been made last season instead of Foles. This position wasn't going to be fixed this offseason anyway. It was just a Manny Machado like tease, ala the White Sox.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Most of his starts were out of the division. He really only had 2 subpar games. One vs. Washington, and one at the end of the year vs. NYG when he was sacked 6 times, so he wasn't getting much support. 

It's an uninspiring signing, but one that probably should have been made last season instead of Foles. This position wasn't going to be fixed this offseason anyway.

54 attempts and 236 yards, under 5 yards per attempt, with 2 picks and 1 TD isn’t a subpar game?

Also, how many playoff teams do you think he started against? I count 2...Washington (ugh almost doesn’t count) and Baltimore. So staring “out of division” games doesn’t help when he got to run up numbers against Cincinnati.

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

So what does it say when we have substantial stats from last year and a terrible decision maker who couldn’t throw the ball downfield has substantially better stats? And it’s not like Dallas had no playmakers, that offense even with no running game racked up yards with Dak. So yes, if you are saying ignore the stats my gut says Dalton is an upgrade, you are absolutely suggesting he is something he isn’t at this point in his career.

Andy Dalton switched organizations during a pandemic impacted season and was forced into the starting role due to injury.  I’m not suggesting he’s a stud, because he’s certainly not at this point in his career, but I’ve watched him play a ton over the years and he will bring a level of competency to the position that Mitch can’t remotely provide.  I can’t stress this enough, but Mitch is a fundamentally flawed QB who greatly limits the type of offense we can actually run.  His mobility helps some but every other element of his game is really bad.  Dalton is an improvement regardless of 2020 stats, but he obviously doesn’t move the needle enough on his own.  We need to draft a legit QB prospect or we’re just wasting time while Pace & Nagy pray for a miracle to save their jobs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Andy Dalton switched organizations during a pandemic impacted season and was forced into the starting role due to injury.  I’m not suggesting he’s a stud, because he’s certainly not at this point in his career, but I’ve watched him play a ton over the years and he will bring a level of competency to the position that Mitch can’t remotely provide.  I can’t stress this enough, but Mitch is a fundamentally flawed QB who greatly limits the type of offense we can actually run.  His mobility helps some but every other element of his game is really bad.  Dalton is an improvement regardless of 2020 stats, but he obviously doesn’t move the needle enough on his own.  We need to draft a legit QB prospect or we’re just wasting time while Pace & Nagy pray for a miracle to save their jobs.

Andy Dalton currently is a fundamentally flawed QB who limits the type of offense you can run. You cannot sit here and tell me how Andy Dalton will open up the field by throwing shorter passes for fewer yards than Trubisky.

Also Dalton had fantastic offensive personnel for most of his career and he had one (1) 30+ TD season. And he's been much worse as the personnel declined. 

I believed the whole "the offense can't run with Mitch" more before we saw Nick Foles come in and run a worse offense than Mitch.

39 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m simply responding to the people arguing that Mitch is somehow better.  Either way, the Bears need to find a way to land one of the top five QB prospects in the draft for our QB room to make any sense.  If Pace’s plan is a Dalton vs. Foles competition with no long-term option in place, then 2021 will likely / hopefully be his last year in the GM role. 

So let me ask you this. Foles vs. Dalton in 2021, with the Bears drafting a QB in Round 1. 

If the Bears go 7-9 or worse..does Pace and/or Nagy get fired? Because if they do...now you have an entire new regime in place, introducing a new scheme and are inheriting a 1st round QB from a GM that has a TERRIBLE track record of identifying QB talent. 

This is the most Bears thing ever

Whats sad is I could totally see Dalton having the best season of any Bears QB ever if they can keep him protected. 

What has been wrong with AJ Green? Just old? A Robinson/Green/Mooney/Kmet/Graham/Cohen receiving group could be pretty fun and Green should come cheap. 

Snag an OT in round 1, take a chance on Trask/Newman in RD 2. 

• Like 1

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

Man that's rough. I wonder who the starters were. Watson was never gonna happen and I'm not sure I'd go any higher than that for Wilson. 

Still think it woulda been better to use 10m elsewhere and go with Foles as a bridge to a rookie. 

9 minutes ago, scs787 said:

Whats sad is I could totally see Dalton having the best season of any Bears QB ever if they can keep him protected. 

What has been wrong with AJ Green? Just old? A Robinson/Green/Mooney/Kmet/Graham/Cohen receiving group could be pretty fun and Green should come cheap. 

Snag an OT in round 1, take a chance on Trask/Newman in RD 2. 

AJ Green isn't much better than any mid-level vet receiver you could name, unfortunately. A shell of himself.

I think if Russ forced the situation more it could still happen but not holding my breath. He'll probably just passive aggressively hate Pete Carroll until one of them is gone

Edited by TheTruth05

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Bears losing Fuller to go with a pass rush that can't get home.... that doesn't sound like a good recipe.    Fitting for team going Foles/Dalton at QM. 

5-11 season coming and hopefully the last nail in the Pace/Nagy coffin.