NFL 2021 offseason thread

It will be all moot if Dalton gets a serious injury anyways and Fields is thrown in. If I'm the Bears though, my first 2 or 3 picks next season should all be on the O-Line (And I'm well aware that they don't have a 1st round pick). And one of them should actually be a LT that played LT in college without an injury history (put Jenkins back at his natural position at RT next season).

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

As of right now the person the Bears wanted as their starting LT is out with back surgery. Thier starting RT is out with a knee injury. One of their backup tackles is out with a concussion. They just signed Peters off the street because they have no one else and he hasn't played a full season in 2 years.

Even if those are his strengths he will not be able to improve on them and develop them if he needs to use the 4.4 all the time. Sure it helps in the short term but doesn't help in the long term.

I guess we'll see where they are in 3 weeks, the great ones transcend O-line and if this kid is the real deal he'll do the same. Of course we all want him behind an elite O-line but look around the league, there aren't very many of those.

2 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

It will be all moot if Dalton gets a serious injury anyways and Fields is thrown in. If I'm the Bears though, my first 2 or 3 picks next season should all be on the O-Line (And I'm well aware that they don't have a 1st round pick). And one of them should actually be a LT that played LT in college without an injury history (put Jenkins back at his natural position at RT next season).

Also need to invest in the secondary. OT, CB, WR should be heavy the next couple years. also if Fields is the real deal take Pace's( or his replacement) trading abilities away for a couple years unless it's to trade down lol

Edited by TheTruth05

1 minute ago, SoxAce said:

On this we totally agree. It will be moot if Dalton gets hurt. However, the longer he stays out the the longer Fields can hone his skills without taking the risk on their possible franchise QB. Dalton in the big picture means nothing to the franchise.

21 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

Also need to invest in the secondary. OT, CB, WR should be heavy the next couple years. also if Fields is the real deal take Pace's( or his replacement) trading abilities away for a couple years unless it's to trade down lol

It's a damn shame that ARob may not come back next season. All that money Pace threw at Quinn could've been given to Robinson instead. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

It's a damn shame that ARob may not come back next season. All that money Pace threw at Quinn could've been given to Robinson instead. 

Yup, they're going to let him walk and overpay someone who isn't as good in a couple years when ARob is still a WR1 somewhere else. 

1 hour ago, TheTruth05 said:

Is there any benefit to seeing Dalton play against 2nd stringers? hell maybe even 3rd stringers in the 2nd quarter?

There is benefit to Dalton playing with his teammates since they only ran 7 plays last week.

3 hours ago, bmags said:

I'm really bored of the "fields should start season" stuff and trying to turn it into this life or death argument. I think he probably should, but I don't really see it being a big deal if he doesn't, and that reps with ones matters but also not throwing him behind a shit o line before he has good understanding of offense can be counter productive.

He had two straight weak practices (plus a practice in between he missed with a groin injury).  In general - I don't think anyone is going to be hurt by sitting for a bit.  I do think you can hurt people by putting in too soon, when they aren't ready, that they develop bad habits and regress.  While I think Fields could probably handle things right away and be fine - I don't believe the Bears are a superbowl contender this year and if they wait half a season or a whole season to let Fields lose I don't think it matters (as I do believe QB's can get better by learning from a vet like Andy Dalton - like Mahomes did learning from Smith, who was at the time a better player than Dalton is today, but similar in the sense of their overall savyiness.  

5 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

He had two straight weak practices (plus a practice in between he missed with a groin injury).  In general - I don't think anyone is going to be hurt by sitting for a bit.  I do think you can hurt people by putting in too soon, when they aren't ready, that they develop bad habits and regress.  While I think Fields could probably handle things right away and be fine - I don't believe the Bears are a superbowl contender this year and if they wait half a season or a whole season to let Fields lose I don't think it matters (as I do believe QB's can get better by learning from a vet like Andy Dalton - like Mahomes did learning from Smith, who was at the time a better player than Dalton is today, but similar in the sense of their overall savyiness.  

I agree. Fields is just too important for the Bears future to take the risk now. He may be fine but I wouldn't risk it. Give him some time.

Edited by ptatc

4 hours ago, ptatc said:

I agree. Fields is just too important for the Bears future to take the risk now. He may be fine but I would risk it. Give him some time.

Agree with all you guys here. Fields is going to get his shot, and it's going to be sometime this season. I have very little doubt in that. But it doesn't need to be Week 1. If this all goes to plan, he should be here 15 years. 8 weeks isn't going to make a difference, especially with this fairly mediocre roster. 

I didn’t bother watching the first half of the game. But after seeing Fields stat line I thought the second half was going to not be worth the watch either. Fields actually was very impressive. Tons of penalties negated solid plays and he threw a lot of balls to right spot…suffered through some drops from his wideouts on nice plays and was lethal with his legs. 

He had a mistake or two, but overall he sure looks smooth back there. 

21 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

I didn’t bother watching the first half of the game. But after seeing Fields stat line I thought the second half was going to not be worth the watch either. Fields actually was very impressive. Tons of penalties negated solid plays and he threw a lot of balls to right spot…suffered through some drops from his wideouts on nice plays and was lethal with his legs. 

He had a mistake or two, but overall he sure looks smooth back there. 

Yeah it was much better than the stats, lots of drops, lots of terrible penalties.

7 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I think even if Fiekds plays early and plays well, the Bears are really going to suck this season. Any chance that costs Pace and Nagy? You would think the Bears job would be very appealing if they had a nice QB on the roster.

I think if Fields looks good and young players look solid - Pace stays.  Nagy on the other hand, If the play calling is suspect and its more talk, etc, I could see the opposite happening to him.  That said - realistically, as long as Fields looks the part - I suspect both get to stick around...most notably Pace.  I am not going to jump to too many conclusions from this past week's game...it wasn't as if Dalton had a starting line out there (although we might say that on day 1 of the regular season 2) and I don't think he had like any weapon out there (what was it him and 1 other starter played on offense).  

Defense was embarassed...so that is something to worry about...but they too were holding guys back and playing vanilla. Maybe a swift kick in the rear was what they needed.  But like you said DA - I don't expect them to be very good either way.  I figure they are a mediocre team with Dalton or with Fields and this is really all about getting Fields put into the fold at the right time, more than anything else. 

That said - Dalton is going to be on a shorter leash than I suspected...partly due to his ability to fit with this line (no shocker...same thing happened with Foles...bad olines are not good fit for immobile QB's) and his own play (or lack of play...but I'll downplay that because he's a vet and really hasn't many plays with his real starters out there). 

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I think even if Fiekds plays early and plays well, the Bears are really going to suck this season. Any chance that costs Pace and Nagy? You would think the Bears job would be very appealing if they had a nice QB on the roster.

Yup the best case scenario would be Fields and the Bears having a Herbert/Chargers situation from last year where Fields shows the tools to be a franchise QB, acclimates to the speed of the NFL by actually playing but the Bears lose games and Nagy is canned or proves to be a competent offensive mind. Pace is safe no matter what IMO

On 8/23/2021 at 7:04 PM, TheTruth05 said:

Yup the best case scenario would be Fields and the Bears having a Herbert/Chargers situation from last year where Fields shows the tools to be a franchise QB, acclimates to the speed of the NFL by actually playing but the Bears lose games and Nagy is canned or proves to be a competent offensive mind. Pace is safe no matter what IMO

Rumors are that there are extensions planned for Nagy and maybe Pace.

16 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Rumors are that there are extensions planned for Nagy and maybe Pace.

Have you heard this from somewhere legit? There have been rumors since the offseason that both we're already extended past this year but mostly rumblings online.

1 hour ago, TheTruth05 said:

Have you heard this from somewhere legit? There have been rumors since the offseason that both we're already extended past this year but mostly rumblings online.

I heard this from people I trust in the NFL. They say Nagy is likely but not for certain. Pace is 50/50 and there are discussions.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ptatc said:

I heard this from people I trust in the NFL. They say Nagy is likely but not for certain. Pace is 50/50 and there are discussions.

Really not a fan of it being that way. If it came to that point where Pace gets let’s go why force Nagy on another GM? As bad as Pace has been in some spots Nagy inspires less confidence currently