Magglio's "Home Town Discount"

USAF_11F4H

QUOTE(USAF_11F4H @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 12:01 PM)

He is gonna get basically the same deal from any team he signs with. Only difference is if he signs with a contending team or not. Which the cubs are so it would be a wise choice on his part.

QUOTE(TheDybber @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 06:04 PM)
So, their outfield would be a gimp, an underacheiver and Corky the Chimp Boy.  have fun with that northsiders.

I think any talk of Ordonez and discount probably went out the window with Boras as his agent.... And wasn't Clement going to give the Sox a similar deal??? It's a negotiation ploy

Also, Maggs really needs to have some form of workout before any team should think about including him in their plans

QUOTE(C_LEE45 @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 12:04 PM)
man there getting everybody,Maggs,Beltran whos next!!!!

i hope the yanks or mets sign CB,and then houston goes for maggs.

They will not sign both beltran and ordonez. For one they would not have any place for both of them to go and the money would be a problem. If they get either or it will definitely be ordonez.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 12:06 PM)
They will not sign both beltran and ordonez. For one they would not have any place for both of them to go and the money would be a problem. If they get either or it will definitely be ordonez.

Was JK thats what cub fans think.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 06:06 PM)
I think any talk of Ordonez and discount probably went out the window with Boras as his agent.... And wasn't Clement going to give the Sox a similar deal???  It's a negotiation ploy

Also, Maggs really needs to have some form of workout before any team should think about including him in their plans

I wonder if Boras would allow a workout? He's not going to get Nomar money either.

QUOTE(raff @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 12:08 PM)
f*** you magglio, you suck. hes giving a discount b/c hes not gonna get any money when everyone finds out that hes a year or more away from playing again.

This home town discount talk is bulls***. I am willing to bet he signs an incentive ladden deal any where he goes. So then next off-season his stock will be high once more and he can get one last big pay day.

The Cubs are going to use Maggs as a PR tool against the Sox.

The Sox are in the process of a major overhaul of their team, and so far the Cubs have failed at 3 of their major offseason issues;

1. Dump Sosa

2. Get a top of the order hitter to help generate runs in close games

3. Get a closer

When/if the Cubs sign Maggs they are going to trot him out for a press conference to have him take shots at the Sox, and then let the local media rip the Sox for letting him get away. (never mentioning the impossible position the Sox were put in by the arbitration system and Boras not releasing medical reports).

It will be all sunshine and beer on the northside while the wicked stepsisters lurk on the southside...

........and he doesn't have to move for now. He's gonna put a big numbers 05, book it.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 06:05 PM)
He is gonna get basically the same deal from any team he signs with. Only difference is if he signs with a contending team or not. Which the cubs are so it would be a wise choice on his part.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 12:17 PM)
........and he doesn't have to move for now. He's gonna put a big numbers 05, book it.

Name an amount and I'll bet you.. double back... that he doesn't.

:ph34r:

QUOTE(Steff @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 06:23 PM)
Name an amount and I'll bet you.. double back... that he doesn't.

:ph34r:

I guess I agree with Steff... but I can't make any solid guess since as of mid-December Maggs couldn't jump. I don't see him being ready to play until May/June at the earliest

QUOTE(TheDybber @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 12:25 PM)
How about who comes back first...Big Frank or Maggs?  My money's on Frank...

Side Bet...better numbers for first year after he comes back.

Maggs will come back first, but he is not going to have a good year. I get the feeling that Maggs will start playing late in ST, and Frank will be back in June. But I think both of them will struggle this year because of their injuries.

Let me see if I follow here,

Scott Boras is one of the premier agents among MLB players. Both he and Maggs know that Maggs 'can't even walk', have been lying about his surgery and medical status, plan to somehow rope a team into giving Maggs millions and millions of dollars, without an exam, only to see him limp out onto the filed in ST. Is that about right?

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 06:33 PM)
Let me see if I follow here,

Scott Boras is one of the premier agents among MLB players. Both he and Maggs know that Maggs 'can't even walk', have been lying about his surgery and medical status, plan to somehow rope a team into giving Maggs millions and millions of dollars, without an exam, only to see him limp out onto the filed in ST.  Is that about right?

Yeah, if he's truly hurt Boras will make it clear to teams that he's not playing until he's 100% healthy.

or he could be healthier than they are leading on and Boras plans to have Maggs have a solid workout after Beltran is signed... then you will have losers of the Beltran sweepstakes (Cubs, Mets, or Astros, possibly the Dodgers too if they can dump Green) bidding for his one year long-term contract push season

maggs is basically mcgahee. he will be down for a season, but then he will rise again for a couple years. maybe not a .300 hitter ever again, but a solid player. he would do nicely in houston. i will cheer for him there, even though he is a punta.