Hot Stove baseball talk from 7-10 PM on ESPN 1000

santo=dorf

Easily the funniest/saddest moment of the night was when some douche bag Cubs fan called with some smug voice and asked how CP (As he put it, meaning Corey Patterson) and Beltran would have split time if Beltran would have signed with the Cubs.... he seriously asked that and seriously wanted an answer... and the scary thing is Bruce and Carmen didn't laugh at him.... :stupid

...and in Bruce's defense... he did say Sox and Iguchi are millions apart still, but he said KW has pulled suprises around Soxfest before, so he wouldn't be suprised if it happened tomorrow, in fact he said if it's going to happen at all, it will probably happen tomorrow... to me he portrayed it like he was just guessing

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(3E8 @ Jan 13, 2005 -> 09:58 PM)
Levine's Predictions:

Clement and Lowe get 11 wins.

Kerry Wood wins more games than Freddy Garcia.

Randy wins 25 games.

Barrett bats for higher average than AJ.

Sammy 38 home runs, Beltran 27.

I think Clement will win more than 11 games with that offense.

Kerry Wood will not win more games than Freddy. What is he going to all of a sudden harness his potential. Come on.

Randy, huh maybe. BS on the Barret statement.

Beltran will hit 35, Sammy 24 with cork.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jan 14, 2005 -> 04:00 AM)
Oh don't worry, we'll have a laptop in the room.

Free high-speed at the Hyatt.

Couldn't get it working last year, hope that's not the case this year.

Hey on that subject and especially for saturday will there be a sox thread for the Fest. I see one now that has hundreds of posts, can you guys start a new one for the weekend notes?

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Jan 14, 2005 -> 04:00 AM)
Easily the funniest/saddest moment of the night was when some douche bag Cubs fan called with some smug voice and asked how CP (As he put it, meaning Corey Patterson) and Beltran would have split time if Beltran would have signed with the Cubs.... he seriously asked that and seriously wanted an answer... and the scary thing is Bruce and Carmen didn't laugh at him....  :stupid

...and in Bruce's defense... he did say Sox and Iguchi are millions apart still, but he said KW has pulled suprises around Soxfest before, so he wouldn't be suprised if it happened tomorrow, in fact he said if it's going to happen at all, it will probably happen tomorrow... to me he portrayed it like he was just guessing

This is not the job as the baseball insider. As boz has said we can do that. We need inside info not bulls*** feelings. We have been saying stuff might happen at the fest for weeks.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jan 13, 2005 -> 11:05 PM)
This is not the job as the baseball insider. As boz has said we can do that. We need inside info not bulls*** feelings.  We have been saying stuff might happen at the fest for weeks.

A credible reporter does not report using anonymous sources.

In fact, many major newspapers around the country, including the one I work for, won't let you publish anything that is derived from an anonymous source.

To me, it's simply irresponsible reporting which tries to create a buzz.

Far too often, it ends up to be inaccurate.

What's Cora's contract? I bet we coulda nabbed him for a cheap amount. But why not Barry Larkin for one year? Larkin is dying to start, you plug Uribe at 2B. I think it could work, I mean he did hit .289 last season...Are we being retarded here? I'd rather have an all-time great like Larkin at SS instead of starting Willie.

QUOTE(Loaiza21 @ Jan 13, 2005 -> 10:22 PM)
What's Cora's contract? I bet we coulda nabbed him for a cheap amount. But why not Barry Larkin for one year? Larkin is dying to start, you plug Uribe at 2B. I think it could work, I mean he did hit .289 last season...Are we being retarded here? I'd rather have an all-time great like Larkin at SS instead of starting Willie.

Using that logic, we should have not let Roberto Alomar leave.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Jan 14, 2005 -> 03:58 AM)
Levine's Predictions:

Clement and Lowe get 11 wins.

Kerry Wood wins more games than Freddy Garcia.

Randy wins 25 games.

Barrett bats for higher average than AJ.

Sammy 38 home runs, Beltran 27.

LOL!

Barrett, who has had ONE good season in his career, is going to hit for a higher average than Pierzynski, who's played in some OK parks in his career, has still hit for an excellent average in all of his years, and is now coming to an awesome hitters park?

I'm calling bulls*** on you, Bruce...

QUOTE(Loaiza21 @ Jan 13, 2005 -> 10:32 PM)
When was the last time Alomar hit friggin .290?

LOL. I knew that was coming. Actually, I referring to "all time greats" part of the comment. Now, to address Larkin's BA, to expect a 40+ aged player to come into a new league and perform at an everyday level like he did in the "familiar" league is going out on a limb. Question though ... Approximately how many AB's did Larkin have last year? Wasn't he a part timer or injured? If so, that also has to figure into the equation.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 14, 2005 -> 04:37 AM)
LOL.  I knew that was coming.  Actually, I referring to "all time greats" part of the comment.  Now, to address Larkin's BA, to expect a 40+ aged player to come into a new league and perform at an everyday level like he did in the "familiar" league is going out on a limb.  Question though ... Approximately how many AB's did Larkin have last year?  Wasn't he a part timer or injured?  If so, that also has to figure into the equation.

You don't know how he's going to do in the AL, he won't necessarily do worse. Especially against the AL Central pitching. Gimme Darrell May anyday. As for at bats it was around 400. I think he can still handle the load. Who gives a s*** that he's in his 40's. I just can't go through another season resting my hope on Willie Harris. The guy is a pinch runner.

QUOTE(Loaiza21 @ Jan 13, 2005 -> 10:41 PM)
You don't know how he's going to do in the AL, he won't necessarily do worse. Especially against the AL Central pitching. Gimme Darrell May anyday. As for at bats it was around 400. I think he can still handle the load. Who gives a s*** that he's in his 40's. I just can't go through another season resting my hope on Willie Harris. The guy is a pinch runner.

No, I don't "know" how he's going to do in the AL. I do know that I'd prefer to find out with him wearing a Devil Rays uniform.

QUOTE(Loaiza21 @ Jan 14, 2005 -> 03:41 PM)

Larkin isn't a good enough fielder to be an everyday player anymore. And he only wants to play everyday, unless he decides to be a backup with the Washington Nats.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jan 13, 2005 -> 08:00 PM)
Oh don't worry, we'll have a laptop in the room.

Free high-speed at the Hyatt.

Couldn't get it working last year, hope that's not the case this year.

In that case, should I bring my laptop? On a sidenote, should I bring some dvd's or anything?

QUOTE(quickman @ Jan 13, 2005 -> 10:02 PM)
Hey on that subject and especially for saturday will there be a sox thread for the Fest. I see one now that has hundreds of posts, can you guys start a new one for the weekend notes?

Yes? Please? That would be great if some people who get to go could let the rest of us know how it's going. The general atmosphere, individuals' moods, anybody being noticably out of shape, whether AJ farts, or any :o surprise signings.

After reading this thread, I'll just let this speak for itself. From rotoworld:

The Akron Beacon Journal confirmed that the Indians are in serious negotiations with Alex Cora.

A two-year deal is likely, but it doesn't appear that Cora will be handed a starting job. He'll have to compete with Jhonny Peralta at shortstop. No matter how that ends up, the Indians will have the best second-string infield in baseball. Jan. 14 - 5:34 am et