Where Will the Sox Go?

HuskyCaucasian

WMVP may lose its grip on Sox

WMVP may lose its grip on Sox

Teddy Greenstein

ON SPORTS MEDIA AND COLLEGES

March 4, 2005

Radio industry sources are split on whether WMVP-AM 1000 will retain broadcast rights to the White Sox when its contract with the team expires after this season.

But even with WSCR-AM 670 bidding against WMVP, all parties agree the Sox will take a hit, going from an estimated $5 million per season to perhaps $3 million to $3.5 million.

The expiring deal was a sweetheart for Sox and Bulls Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf, who received $90 million over 10 years for the rights to both his teams.

Analysts say Larry Wert, then the president of Evergreen Media Chicago, overspent in an effort to make a splash and compete with WSCR. When ABC/ESPN purchased the station in 1998, it was saddled with a money-losing deal involving two declining teams.

"We inherited that contract," WMVP general manager Jim Pastor said, "and it's fair to say the climate has changed in the last 5-to-10 years."

But for the right price, both stations would like to partner with the Sox.

Said Paul Agase, WSCR general manager: "We'd love to have a pro sports team, sure. But it has to make business sense."

Sources expect Reinsdorf, who declined comment through a spokesman, to decide by April 1.

There are some wild cards. Some believe WSCR gained an edge last month when it hired Mitch Rosen as programming director.

Rosen, a former WMVP program chief and agent who represented Sox manager Ozzie Guillen and play-by-play man John Rooney, has a close relationship with Reinsdorf.

Others theorize WMVP pleased Reinsdorf by parting ways with midday host Jay Mariotti, who has had a decade-long feud with the chairman. (WMVP officials deny that was a motivation, saying Mariotti had become all but impossible to manage.)

"Despite all the politicking and relationships and nuances, I believe whoever has the most gumption and the most money will get the deal," said Bob Snyder, a former WMVP executive who now consults teams and stations for Beason Broadcast Partners.

"At the end of the day, Jerry is loyal to his partnership, which is looking for the best financial situation."

WMVP also would like to keep the Bulls after its deal with the team expires following the 2005-06 season. But competition could come from a number of stations, including, sources say, WGN-AM 720.

Analysts say WGN would love to strengthen its evening programming by acquiring the Bulls, although it would create scheduling conflicts with the Cubs that could result in some Bulls games being bumped to another station.

WGN is going after the Bulls? :o :o :o

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 5, 2005 -> 11:04 AM)
I really would love to see the Sox on the score. I like ESPN ten times more, but the Score has 3 times the reception ESPN does, and you can get the Score all the way to central Wisconsin....

Yea, I completely agree. I was going to suggest trying to find a White Sox Radio Affiliate in Wisconsin, but when I went to look, there are none. White Sox Radio Affiliates

I travel to Iowa and they have affiliates, but they are so low wattage that you cant get them wehre I am, and I cant get MVP half the time, so Sox games are impossible. But I can pick up the Score.

The Sox and Bulls used to be on WMAQ 670 years ago when it was a country music station, then it was a news station like WBBM.

The Bears were on WGN before WBBM.

The Score was 1160 and 820 before it took WMAQ's huuuge 670 power.

You couldn't hear the Score after dark outside of the city before they moved.

QUOTE(DonkeyKongerko @ Mar 5, 2005 -> 11:34 AM)
Wait so all this time I could have been listening to Sox games on 1580 AM instead of listening to poor reception on AM 1000?  I'm guessing they don't do Spring Training.

Maybe during the day, but I DOUBT you will get a good signal at night. They drop to 10 Watts at night. Thatsa really bad broadcast strength. MAYBE a 5 mile radius. lol

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

Apparently, I've heard that the Score might be dropping the Blackhawks even if a season is good to go for next season. This would leave The Score with an empty professional sport broadcasting schedule, so it wouldn't be a bad idea for the Sox to go over there. Plus, there are a ton of Sox lovers over there, so it would be strategically sound.

It would be completely awesome if they were to bring back Julie Swieca to possibly co-hostess the pre- and post-game shows. She knows a lot about the Sox and baseball in general, and listeners do like her.

QUOTE(BridgeportHeather @ Mar 5, 2005 -> 01:59 PM)
Apparently, I've heard that the Score might be dropping the Blackhawks even if a season is good to go for next season.  This would leave The Score with an empty professional sport broadcasting schedule, so it wouldn't be a bad idea for the Sox to go over there.  Plus, there are a ton of Sox lovers over there, so it would be strategically sound.

It would be completely awesome if they were to bring back Julie Swieca to possibly co-hostess the pre- and post-game shows.  She knows a lot about the Sox and baseball in general, and listeners do like her.

Ummmm.....Heather.....the Sox don't play in the winter......or even into mid-October since 2000..... :D :P

QUOTE(The Critic @ Mar 5, 2005 -> 02:02 PM)
Ummmm.....Heather.....the Sox don't play in the winter......or even into mid-October since 2000..... :D  :P

I know that...But I don't think The Score, who claims to be "Chicago's Sports Station" would want to go on without even hosting one of Chicago's professional sports team's broadcasts on its airwaves.

I think wgn probably figures with bulls tv ratings on the rise, it's a good time to parlay that into the radio gig too. THe Bulls appear to be on the verge of long term compeitivenss. GOod idea for them. As far as the Sox go, I hope they stay on MVP because i enjoy how MJK give the Sox extra coverage since they are on the station.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Mar 5, 2005 -> 02:14 PM)
As far as the Sox go, I hope they stay on MVP because i enjoy how MJK give the Sox extra coverage since they are on the station.

Wouldn't they give the Sox extra attention reguardless, since they are Sox fans?

QUOTE(BridgeportHeather @ Mar 5, 2005 -> 01:59 PM)
Apparently, I've heard that the Score might be dropping the Blackhawks even if a season is good to go for next season.  This would leave The Score with an empty professional sport broadcasting schedule, so it wouldn't be a bad idea for the Sox to go over there.  Plus, there are a ton of Sox lovers over there, so it would be strategically sound.

It would be completely awesome if they were to bring back Julie Swieca to possibly co-hostess the pre- and post-game shows.  She knows a lot about the Sox and baseball in general, and listeners do like her.

What happened to her? I didn't care for her much, but she did know her stuff, I'll give her that.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 5, 2005 -> 11:37 AM)
Maybe during the day, but I DOUBT you will get a good signal at night. They drop to 10 Watts at night. Thatsa really bad broadcast strength. MAYBE a 5 mile radius. lol

10 watts won't get you a mile. Our college station was 3000 watts, and that got us 5 miles. something like WBBM AM is a 50,000 watt clear channel, I would imagine MVP and SCR are something like that also. Unless you you meat 10 megawatts, or 10000 watts.... that would make sense.

QUOTE(Kogs35 @ Mar 6, 2005 -> 10:13 AM)
i guess no1 has heard infinity radio has order all stations to redo there mlb deals and or sign no new contracts because of the xm deal? i will edit with details later

I heard that too. However, i dont know if it was a demand or more like a suggestion. I could understand if there was only one sports station in the market and it wouldnt really hurt to lose a team to a non-sports station. but here in Chicago, we have two stations duking it out, The Sox and Bulls will pull ratings to a station that is down on its luck due to POOR programming. Infity would be stupid to not let THe Score snag the Sox and Bulls.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 6, 2005 -> 01:19 PM)
I heard that too. However, i dont know if it was a demand or more like a suggestion. I could understand if there was only one sports station in the market and it wouldnt really hurt to lose a team to a non-sports station. but here in Chicago, we have two stations duking it out, The Sox and Bulls will pull ratings to a station that is down on its luck due to POOR programming. Infity would be stupid to not let THe Score snag the Sox and Bulls.

from what i understand, by talking to people in ny its a demand

WSCR has a much stronger signal. You can pick it up as far as STL. WMVP is no where near that strength. Assuming the strength is as good in other directions that would give the Sox radio coverage for most of the midwest (MI, IN, OH, WI, IA, IL, KY, TN, MO, & MN). MN is probably a stretch but I know people living near the border that say they can pick up WSCR.

In terms of what's best for the Sox it's probably WSCR.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Mar 6, 2005 -> 05:30 PM)
WSCR has a much stronger signal.  You can pick it up as far as STL.  WMVP is no where near that strength.  Assuming the strength is as good in other directions that would give the Sox radio coverage for most of the midwest (MI, IN, OH, WI, IA, IL, KY, TN, MO, & MN).  MN is probably a stretch but I know people living near the border that say they can pick up WSCR.

In terms of what's best for the Sox it's probably WSCR.

2 things 1 wscr big bosses infinity radio may not let them sign the sox as i wrote in the posts above, 2 i got wmvp from chicago all the way to nj last october when driving