Steve Stone Joining White Sox Broadcast Tomorrow

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 14, 2005 -> 12:34 PM)
Hawk+Stone= best TV broadcast in baseball.

IMHO, Hawk+Stone= could never co-exist.

As much as I love the Hawkaroo, he has a big ego when it comes to baseball knowledge. Although him and Stone have a good relationship, I don't think he could handle a guy in the booth that could challenge his baseball knowledge. Stone is one of the most intelligent baseball minds I've ever seen in the booth.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Mar 14, 2005 -> 12:43 PM)
IMHO, Hawk+Stone= could never co-exist.

As much as I love the Hawkaroo, he has a big ego when it comes to baseball knowledge.  Although him and Stone have a good relationship, I don't think he could handle a guy in the booth that could challenge his baseball knowledge.  Stone is one of the most intelligent baseball minds I've ever seen in the booth.

I disagree. I think both of these guys are professional. I also think they'd respect each others baseball knowledge.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 14, 2005 -> 12:45 PM)
I disagree.  I think both of these guys are professional.  I also think they'd respect each others baseball knowledge.

I tend to agree with YAS here. I think part of Hawk's problem the last few years is that he hasn't been challenged and he is just bored senseless in the booth at times. I think Hawk would thrive with someone like Stone who can make anyone look better. Hell he carried Chip and Harry for years.

I think Hawk is a big enough baseball fan that he could check his ego at the door, because it would be best for the face of the White Sox, which seems to be what matters most to Harrelson. He will do anything for this team, and he knows that Steve Stone would be a coup for the Sox.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 14, 2005 -> 12:34 PM)
Hawk+Stone= best TV broadcast in baseball.

It would definitely be fun to listen to them together. They would fit like a glove, I think.

BTW, anyone happen to hear the new Cub broadcasters? Brenly is okay, but that Kasper guy sounds A LOT like Al Michaels to me.

....hey, I was stuck in Wisconsin on Saturday, okaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy????

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Mar 14, 2005 -> 01:01 PM)
Looking forward to hearing Stoney tomorrow.  Interesting how DJ has all these "off days" this spring.  Do you think maybe they're auditioning people for his job? Probably not, but it's a thought.

I know he lives pretty darn close to the stadium.

Maybe he's getting some days off to be with the family or the baby?

I dunno.

I've really come around on DJ. I enjoy his voice and he's good for a couple of yucks.

That said, a Hawk-Stone combo in the booth would be one for the ages. Hands down the best in the MLB.

I don't know if any of you have the extra innings package, but if you have ever heard some of the broadcasters for other clubs, it's pretty easy to tell we have one of the better duos in baseball. Some are just god awful.

Edited by AddisonStSox

This at least tells me that the Sox wouldn't be closed having a relationship with Stoney. But I doubt he'll be our full time color guy any time soon. There's no reason he can't land a good national deal for ESPN or Fox or something like that. I also think that the higher ups, for whatever reason, really like DJ.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Mar 14, 2005 -> 01:03 PM)

I dunno.

I've really come around on DJ.  I enjoy his voice and he's good for a couple of yucks.

That said, a Hawk-Stone combo in the booth would be one of the ages.  Hands down the best in the MLB. 

I don't know if any of you have the extra innings package, but if you have ever heard some of the broadcasters for other clubs, it's pretty easy to tell we have one of the better duos in baseball.  Some are just god awful.

San Diego's PBP guy was HORRIBLE. Literally I have heard way better broadcasters doing Indiana high school basketball games.

QUOTE(Mr. Showtime @ Mar 14, 2005 -> 07:57 PM)
The game is also going to be on ESPN tomorrow, maybe he's got a job with ESPN.

I could've swore he said Comcast though.

OK so is he doing the game on Comcast w/Hawk or on ESPN for the national broadcast? I hope its not on ESPN, I just got done talking s*** to a couple of my friends who are cub fans.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Mar 14, 2005 -> 01:03 PM)

I dunno.

I've really come around on DJ.  I enjoy his voice and he's good for a couple of yucks.

That said, a Hawk-Stone combo in the booth would be one for the ages.  Hands down the best in the MLB. 

I don't know if any of you have the extra innings package, but if you have ever heard some of the broadcasters for other clubs, it's pretty easy to tell we have one of the better duos in baseball.  Some are just god awful.

I caught almost every broadcast team and the Yankee team is #1 in my book. I loved their broadcast.

QUOTE(valponick @ Mar 14, 2005 -> 02:03 PM)
OK so is he doing the game on Comcast w/Hawk or on ESPN for the national broadcast?  I hope its not on ESPN, I just got done talking s*** to a couple of my friends who are cub fans.

I heard him on the Score when he made the comments. However, he wasn't very specific.

I would think if he was doing the game with the Hawk, the Sox would put out some sort of press release. Then again, if he working with ESPN, you'd think they'd also have something out there saying he works with them. So, to answer what you asked, I don't know.