Uribe's "foul call"

Milkman delivers

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(JimH @ May 23, 2005 -> 05:49 PM)
Just to stir this pot, any chance Konerko's comments were made tongue in cheek and this board is overreacting?

Well, whoever wrote the article doesn't seem to think it was tongue and cheek and I assume he heard it come out of Pauly's mouth.......otherwise he would have written it differently, maybe :huh

As soon as Trusty Dusty can explain how it's different from the hidden ball trick or the fake-to-third-throw-to-first move BlackJack used to have, I'll listen.

It's called deception. Lee should be paying no attention to Uribe.

Lee: "Excuse me Juan, was that ball fair or foul?"

Uribe: "It was foul Derek."

Lee: "Thank you for telling me Juan, you're a kind sportsman indeed."

:puke

Pay attention to your damn coaches! You learn that much in Little League.

Guest JimH
Since this isn't the first time PK has called out a teammate, then I don't think we're overreacting at all.

Maybe they're all laughing about it behind the scenes, who knows.

Baseball player quotes shouldn't always be taken at face value ... witness all the locker room quotes after a pitcher drills an opposing hitter.

QUOTE(ISF @ May 23, 2005 -> 06:04 PM)
As soon as Trusty Dusty can explain how it's different from the hidden ball trick or the fake-to-third-throw-to-first move BlackJack used to have, I'll listen.

It's called deception. Lee should be paying no attention to Uribe.

Lee: "Excuse me Juan, was that ball fair or foul?"

Uribe: "It was foul Derek."

Lee: "Thank you for telling me Juan, you're a kind sportsman indeed."

:puke

Pay attention to your damn coaches! You learn that much in Little League.

You have to remember that the Cubs are a team who blames Bartman for them not getting to the WS.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 23, 2005 -> 02:04 PM)
Maybe they're all laughing about it behind the scenes, who knows.

Baseball player quotes shouldn't always be taken at face value ... witness all the locker room quotes after a pitcher drills an opposing hitter.

I think you're really reaching here, but I understand what you're saying. It could be a joke, but it isn't. Konerko is an idiot and shouldn't be the voice of this franchise. Honestly, it should be AJP. He is the personification of what this team and fans believe in. Working hard, gutting it out, sticking up for your teammates, and having some fun.

Guest JimH
Konerko is whining over a run that was prevented from scoring by Uribe's "unprofessional" play. Konerko's head is in the wrong place, as usual.

Won't shed a tear if we don't resign this dolt.

Major jump to conclusions here. He's a dolt? Yikes.

QUOTE(Leonard Zelig @ May 23, 2005 -> 06:09 PM)
The NFL has just announced that punt returners are no longer able to signal a fair catch when they have no intention of catching a ball.  Also, play action passes will no longer be allowed as they are an attempt to deceive the defense.

Double pumps in the paint have been banned by the NBA and players will be fined for each offense.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 23, 2005 -> 12:09 PM)
Major jump to conclusions here.  He's a dolt?  Yikes.

Anyone with a brain in their head would never call out a teammate on a play that prevented a run from scoring. Paul might want to tell Rowand, Scotty and Dye to stop faking that they're going to catch a ball when it's over their head because that's unprofessional, too! I mean, Christ, we can't expect baseball players to have an IQ over 5 and look at the 3rd base coach for instructions.

Paul just assumes that he's the voice of this team, but I'd like to point to his woeful production instead. You want to speak on behalf of 24 players? Then stop flirting with the Mendoza Line and realize that it's your f***ing contract year and produce.

Guest JimH
Calling out Frank a couple years ago was pretty "doltish," wouldn't you say?

No, I wouldn't actually.

My point is this ... we are all very quick to jump to a conclusion. We did not hear exactly what Konerko said, what context he said it in, what the writer might have left out, etc. There are all sorts of variables here.

We have lots of people here who jump all over the media and call them liars, but in a blink of an eye, those same people take a few quotes as gospel and reach a conclusion that Paul Knoerko is a dolt, an idiot, and further should not be the voice of this franchise (not sure where that last part came from). Again, we are not in the locker room, we do not know what if anything was said about the incident.

IMO, all this jumping on Konerko here is overreacting but if you guys think otherwise, that's certainly your opinion and that's fine.

Guest JimH
Paul just assumes that he's the voice of this team, but I'd like to point to his woeful production instead.

Agree that his production is lacking and to go one step further, it wouldn't bother me one bit if the White Sox went in another direction at 1B for 2006 and beyond.

Not sure, though, where it's written in stone that Konerko assumes he's the voice of the team, or where he speaks for the other 24 ... ?

QUOTE(JimH @ May 23, 2005 -> 02:18 PM)
We have lots of people here who jump all over the media and call them liars, but in a blink of an eye, those same people take a few quotes as gospel and reach a conclusion that Paul Knoerko is a dolt, an idiot, and further should not be the voice of this franchise (not sure where that last part came from).

He calls out his own teammates in the press, that's a reason to not be a team leader.

He isn't producing, that's a reason to not be a team leader.

There are other players on this team that are better-suited to be the team leader, that's another reason.

Guest JimH
He calls out his own teammates in the press, that's a reason to not be a team leader.

He isn't producing, that's a reason to not be a team leader.

There are other players on this team that are better-suited to be the team leader, that's another reason.

Can't argue with what you've said. Leaders emerge over time, to annoint AJP as team leader after 40 games or so doesn't make sense either.

Regardless, I don't think the White Sox have an official captain. Further, I think they have several guys with strong leadership abilities ... Knoerko being one.

Speaking of production, Uribe needs to step it up too. Not related to this issue, just saying.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 23, 2005 -> 12:20 PM)
Agree that his production is lacking and to go one step further, it wouldn't bother me one bit if the White Sox went in another direction at 1B for 2006 and beyond.

Not sure, though, where it's written in stone that Konerko assumes he's the voice of the team, or where he speaks for the other 24 ... ?

I agree with another option at 1B for 2006. With Kendry Morales finally coming stateside, I'd push for Kotchman.

In many a interview he's spoken on behalf of the team.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 23, 2005 -> 02:24 PM)
If Konerko thinks a teammate did something "ethically" wrong, then he should talk to the teammate about it, not the press. True leaders don't hang teammates, especially ones with limited skills to communicate with the media, out to dry.

That's a damn good argument. Good job.

Guest JimH
I agree with another option at 1B for 2006. With Kendry Morales finally coming stateside, I'd push for Kotchman.

Yes ... I think lots of guys speak on behalf of the team, it happens in quite a few interviews. In reading or listening to just about every interview with a player, they almost always talk about "we're doing this well, we need to improve on that, our hitters are doing this, our pitchers are doing that".

My point was more re: your assertion that Konerko assumes he's the voice of the team, and that he speaks for 24 other guys. I don't see where he does that. Maybe it's as simple as ... he's reasonably articulate, he's been around a long time so the press and fans know him, and as such he gets quoted a lot more than other guys. It's fairly normal.

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ May 23, 2005 -> 06:25 PM)

What the hell do we need Kotchman for? Have you seen Casey Rogowski?

I give our own guy a shot before I go get Kotchman. I had a whole year to watch him play at Cedar Rapids. Color me unimpressed.