Kotsay Signs Afterall

3E8

Outfielder Mark Kotsay and the Oakland Athletics have reached agreement on a contract extension, ESPN's Peter Gammons reports.

The deal is a two-year extension worth $15 million. Kotsay cannot opt out of his 2006 contract, meaning the deal runs through 2008. The total amount Kotsay will earn through 2008, including 2005, is $29 million. Kotsay also has a no-trade clause through 2006.

Kotsay is hitting .278 with six homers and 43 RBI.

kotsay is a verry good ballplayer and IMO without doubt 1 of the most underrated players in the game his D is superb and is a tough out at the plate love watchin mark play the game helluva player.. ignore the stats when you've seen the kid play as much as i have you'd understand...no knock on u i just think very highly of the guy

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 9, 2005 -> 01:43 PM)
He's no better than Rowand.

I think he has more range as well as a better and more accurate arm than Rowand. But he's now making twice as much as Rowand. His defense alone doesn't warrant such a larger salary.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Jul 9, 2005 -> 09:18 PM)
Well Kotsay has 7 assists to Rowand's 2 and has been a part of 3 double plays which tells you a little something about his range.  But it gives you an idea of what his arm is like.

He made an awesome throw tonight from CF tonight that almost nabbed Iguchi on that tag-up from second. I was amazed at how close he came to getting Tad out...

As for him vs. Rowand, I'd take either.

The contract is decent for a CF'er who's one of the best defenders at such a premium position. It might be overpaying a little bit, but I don't think it'll hurt them -- and, if Kotsay is able to get that SLG% and OBP closer to his career numbers, it'll be a solid contract.

How much did Steve Finley get in the offseason? I think he might have gotten more, and I know which one of the two I'd rather have...

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 9, 2005 -> 09:27 PM)
How much did Steve Finley get in the offseason?  I think he might have gotten more, and I know which one of the two I'd rather have...

2 Years, 14 M. I'd take Kotsay 7 days a week and twice on Sundays.