August 3rd Game thread

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 02:45 AM)
Because Willie can't bunt, hit, play defense for half of the year, move the runners over, come up with a big hit.

He can steal an occasional base.

Can't play defense? You're talking about Perez, not Harris, right?

Can steal an occasional base? I hope you're talking about Podsednik, too, because over his career, he's been .3 percentage points better than Harris.

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 02:45 AM)
And it's ALL Ozzie's fault...    :rolly

I never said that. I don't think it is at all. I had no problem with his managing up until the bottom of the 8th. I could understand leaving Duque in when he was cruising, even if his pitch count was up. However, I disagreed with him not having Ozuna run for AJP, and not having a ph for Crede instead of Uribe. The blame for this game should be on the players so far. Lets hope we can win this in the 9th, and not lose another day to subtract from our magic number.

QUOTE(GBlum27 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 08:46 PM)
Willie can't play defense?  You lost any credability you had bashing Willie right there.

Did you watch the KC series. I gaurentee that's some of why he got sent down. He made four or five horrible plays in the two losses. And yes, I exaggerated. H

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 02:48 AM)
Let's not go there...

No, I don't think Harris is as good or better than Podsednik at stealing bases. I wasn't implying that.

I just get tired of seeing people say, "he can't steal a base". He's 80% success rate on his career. He's doing something right...

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 08:47 PM)
Can't play defense?  You're talking about Perez, not Harris, right?

Can steal an occasional base?  I hope you're talking about Podsednik, too, because over his career, he's been .3 percentage points better than Harris.

Hey, I gave him credit for stealing an occasional base. Perez has contributed 10x more than Willie this year. He contributed more than Willie had all year just by getting that clutch hit against LAA.

QUOTE(GBlum27 @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 02:49 AM)
WHY?!?!?!

EVERYONE KNOWS MARTE CANT GET LEFTIES OUT

Marte has great numbers against Koskie I thought. I have no problem with this move, as there's no reason to use Politte too long. Politte has been up in the zone a lot more than he was earlier in the year, and he's giving up a lot more hard hit balls recently.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 09:49 PM)
Hey, I gave him credit for stealing an occasional base. Perez has contributed 10x more than Willie this year. He contributed more than Willie had all year just by getting that clutch hit against LAA.

kelly drandsfeldt won us a game last year.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 09:50 PM)
Marte has great numbers against Koskie I thought.  I have no problem with this move, as there's no reason to use Politte too long.  Politte has been up in the zone a lot more than he was earlier in the year, and he's giving up a lot more hard hit balls recently.

Let's hope you're right but I would not be suprised at all by a BB

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 10:49 PM)
No, I don't think Harris is as good or better than Podsednik at stealing bases.  I wasn't implying that.

I just get tired of seeing people say, "he can't steal a base".  He's 80% success rate on his career.  He's doing something right...

He doesn't utilize his speed enough. When he get's on, he is too tentative and doesn't believe in his steal ability.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 02:49 AM)
No, I don't think Harris is as good or better than Podsednik at stealing bases.  I wasn't implying that.

I just get tired of seeing people say, "he can't steal a base".  He's 80% success rate on his career.  He's doing something right...

In my mind, Harris was a bad base runner. However, that doesn't mean he can't steal a base. Jose Valentin was a good base runner....yet couldn't steal a base.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 09:51 PM)
I'm just talking about this year and Willie and TImo. Timo has done much more than just that LAA game.

that's not the point.

if your saying timo should be on this team because he got a game winning hit, then you have to say kelly deserved it last year.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 02:49 AM)

...yet again, he doesn't get that opportunity if Harris doesn't get on base, and steal a base.

And Steve, weren't we at a game early in the year where the bases were loaded and one out in the ninth against Detroit, Timo was at the plate, and struck out?

See, I can remember specific instances, too.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 08:49 PM)

Yes, but Willie only went when he knew he had a damn good chance against the pitcher or catcher. Otherwise he stayed right there.

Screw who's better: Willie or Timo. I personally think both of them should have been off this team. At least Timo has produced lately. Willie was awful for far too long this season, and didn't seem to have a very positive attitude on the field.