Frank Thomas

daa84

QUOTE(knightni @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 01:08 PM)
It's possible he could be back if the Sox don't sign Konerko.

And if we don't he might very well be the best option, which is a bit troublesome. (Gload at 1b with Thome DHing every day?)

I would however seriously worry about having 2 guys at this stage of their careers on our lineup, both of whom might only be able to DH for us.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 03:35 PM)
Thome is a better defensive 1B than Konerko.  People forget that Thome, when healthy is good with the glove.

I think there's a risk in taking anybody coming off a serious injury and putting them in the field. Thome didn't hurt his elbow while swinging I don't think.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 06:35 PM)
Thome is a better defensive 1B than Konerko.  People forget that Thome, when healthy is good with the glove.

I disagree...

(FPCT/RF/ZR career at 1B)

Thome: .994 9.30 .823

Konerko: .995 9.48 .826

PK looks better to me, though they are very close (and both very good, and both improved in recent years). Konerko hasn't had back problems like Thome has. I'll take PK at 1B and Thome at DH.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 01:44 PM)
at this point  IMO

Frank contract with incentives  > 14 m Konerko

Totally disagree. Plus Konerko isn't getting 14 million. Regardless relying on Frank Thomas to do anything in 06 (aside from getting hurt again) is a no no.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 03:35 PM)

Umm...Konerko is one of the better 1st baseman in the biz and is much better than Thome with the glove. If Konerko had a little more range I'd probably say he's a gold glover.

In the AL, Tex and Erstad (who should have won the gold glove) are the two that are hands down better (I can't even say it with Tex, but I'm basing it on him winning the gold glove and I don't really think thats the right thing for me to do).

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 03:51 PM)
I disagree...

(FPCT/RF/ZR career at 1B)

Thome:      .994 9.30 .823

Konerko:    .995 9.48 .826

PK looks better to me, though they are very close (and both very good, and both improved in recent years).  Konerko hasn't had back problems like Thome has.  I'll take PK at 1B and Thome at DH.

Plus PK has the best arm of any 1st baseman in the bigs (maybe Erstad can match it). No one turns the DP from 1st better than Paulie.

QUOTE(MattZakrowski @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 08:17 PM)
I think we'll get Frqank, because I can't see another team taking a risk on him.

If no one signs Frank, I'm sure the Sox would give him a minor leaguer offer and see if he gets healthy. I just don't see the big man ever doing that.

I just don't see why people just expect him to be heatlhy. I did see some positive news in an article today (about him playing golf) but I've heard a lot of bad things about the long term prognosis of his injury and how likely his chances of ever being the same are.

I don't think its a gimme that he'll ever play the game and be healthy, in fact I think its far-fetched to feel that way. I do hope he can get healthy and get on a roll. Frank is an awesome player and is the greatest player to ever play for the Sox.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 08:22 PM)
If no one signs Frank, I'm sure the Sox would give him a minor leaguer offer and see if he gets healthy.  I just don't see the big man ever doing that.

Frank will get offers for the same reason Philly got offers for Thome and for the same reason that the Indians signed Juan Gonzalez last year - potentially large reward, limited financial risk.

The Twins, A's, teams like that would be crazy not to invest $2-$3 million in putting Frank in their uniform.