Check out this Tribune Headline

whitesoxfan101

"I didn't think that, if we brought back the same exact team, we were going to win," Williams said Tuesday night during a conference call.

Wow, the World Champions don't get any respect, even from their own GM, after they won 99 games and went 11-1 against baseball's best in the playoffs. What an incredible statement.

QUOTE(TLAK @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 07:17 AM)
Wow, the World Champions don't get any respect, even from their own GM, after they won 99 games and went 11-1 against baseball's best in the playoffs.  What an incredible statement.

It's very hard to repeat, period but especially when you come back with the same team. While I think we would have definitely had a solid chance to repeat, I'm much more confident now that we can win another.

Wow, the World Champions don't get any respect, even from their own GM, after they won 99 games and went 11-1 against baseball's best in the playoffs.  What an incredible statement.

Incredible. maybe. Accurate, probably.

Our offense was pretty bad last season. Would you rather hope for stellar pitching performances again or have an improved offense and also hope for stellar pitching performances? What is so hard to understand?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 07:32 AM)
Can you tell me the last team that did stand pat and repeat in MLB?

The New York Yankees. While we're at it, name me the last team that changed over 1/3 of the team and DID repeat.

Edited by TLAK

QUOTE(TLAK @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 12:33 PM)
The New York Yankees.  While we're at it, name me the last team that changed over 1/3 of the team and DID repeat.

We should've never bothered winning the World Series last year. This back-to-back stuff is so complicated.

:rolly

Who would have thought that Kenny making the team better would be so controversial?

The amazing thing is that a select few around here make it seem like we've done a complete overhaul of the roster. Its basically the same friggin team!

All we did was trade some of our less needed parts to fill out holes. If we don't repeat, I highly doubt it will be due to not bringing the exact same team back.

Come the end of the season, if we don't win the world series and the difference was the absense of Aaron Rowand, Damaso Marte, Luis Vizcaino, Willie Harris and Timo Perez, then I will be the first to eat crow.

It's very hard to repeat, of course.

He's gotten rid of: Timo, Willie, Vizcaino, El Duque, Blum and Marte. People I won't shed a tear over.

It was hard to part with Rowand and Thomas.

Who has brought on? Future HOF Thome and a would-be ace on any other team, Vazquez, and super utility Mackowiak.

Right now, there's actually no weak links on the team. Kenny can and will fill the holes of Marte and Vizcaino. There's easily replaceable.

We're actually much better on paper, IMO.

QUOTE(TLAK @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 12:33 PM)
The New York Yankees.  While we're at it, name me the last team that changed over 1/3 of the team and DID repeat.

How many of that 1/3 actually started though? Most of the changes will be middle relief and bench players, and it looks like those moves will be upgrades.

As to the Yankee team, the 1998 Yankees traded Homer Bush (71 AB), Graeme Lloyd (49.0 IP) and David Wells (214 IP) to the Toronto Blue Jays for certain HOF’er Roger Clemens. Everyone else who appeared in the 1998 series also appeared in the 1999 series (Spencer was DL’d).

I think changing 3 of 25 players is different than 8 of 25 players, 9 with Big Frank. The Yankees subtracted 1% of their AB and 18% of their IP. The Sox subtractions total 28% of their AB and 17% of their IP without bringing in Roger f’ing Clemens.

No one has named a team that made changes on the scale of the White Sox and repeated.

We’ve already had pages and pages of threads on this subject. It comes down to your appreciation of the now departed players, who I thought were pretty good. I think KW and his supporters are wrong, you all think I’m crazy. I’m willing to leave it at that.

The Yanks and BoSox had off years last year. We cant count on that again.

QUOTE(TLAK @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 06:26 PM)
As to the Yankee team, the 1998 Yankees traded Homer Bush (71 AB), Graeme Lloyd (49.0 IP) and David Wells (214 IP) to the Toronto Blue Jays for certain HOF’er Roger Clemens.  Everyone else who appeared in the 1998 series also appeared in the 1999 series (Spencer was DL’d). 

I think changing 3 of 25 players is different than 8 of 25 players, 9 with Big Frank.  The Yankees subtracted 1% of their AB and 18% of their IP. The Sox subtractions total 28% of their AB and 17% of their IP without bringing in Roger f’ing Clemens.

No one has named a team that made changes on the scale of the White Sox and repeated.

We’ve already had pages and pages of threads on this subject.  It comes down to your appreciation of the now departed players, who I thought were pretty good.  I think KW and his supporters are wrong, you all think I’m crazy.  I’m willing to leave it at that.

No one has named a team because no team, with the exception of the Marlins' fire sale, has turned a team over so much. But then, recent history has shown that even with minimal turnovers by these other teams, they have all failed to repeat.

QUOTE(TLAK @ Dec 22, 2005 -> 04:33 AM)

Cos you know those teams like the Boston Red Sox in 2004 and the Florida Marlins in 2003 did a fine job in standing pat in the next season didn't they.

And the Yankees have a $200M payroll. Of course they can choose to stand pat.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 22, 2005 -> 01:59 AM)
Cos you know those teams like the Boston Red Sox in 2004 and the Florida Marlins in 2003 did a fine job in standing pat in the next season didn't they.

The Red Sox changed a s***load of their team so I don't understand that one. Anyways, I agree with your premise dbaho. The 98 Yankees kind of won 114 games(I believe that was the number) and were just completely dominate. As good as last years team was and they were damn good the offense wasn't as good as it could have been. We've upgraded our lineup a ton imo and we also have a better rotation and at worst a rotation on par with last year with the ability to be better or worse. We've basically lost two non important cogs from the bullpen last year, if anything the only thing this team has lost from last year is a little depth in the bullpen but that can be replaced pretty easily since the pitchers we lost aren't very good(especially Dam). This team right now is much better on paper then they were after game 4 of the world series.

EDIT: I should say the Red Sox changed a lot of key cogs more then changing a lot of players in quantity.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(TLAK @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 07:26 PM)
As to the Yankee team, the 1998 Yankees traded Homer Bush (71 AB), Graeme Lloyd (49.0 IP) and David Wells (214 IP) to the Toronto Blue Jays for certain HOF’er Roger Clemens.  Everyone else who appeared in the 1998 series also appeared in the 1999 series (Spencer was DL’d). 

I think changing 3 of 25 players is different than 8 of 25 players, 9 with Big Frank.  The Yankees subtracted 1% of their AB and 18% of their IP. The Sox subtractions total 28% of their AB and 17% of their IP without bringing in Roger f’ing Clemens.

We’ve already had pages and pages of threads on this subject.  It comes down to your appreciation of the now departed players, who I thought were pretty good.  I think KW and his supporters are wrong, you all think I’m crazy.  I’m willing to leave it at that.

Lets actually look at the players who have a daily impact instead of the 23rd, 24th, and 25th men on the team please. The Sox have changed their CF, DH, 5th starter, and last lefty and righties out of the pen. That is two starters in the line up. And to be honest later on when you asses the IP and ABs we lost it shows the impact is way less than the 8 of 25 men that you reference. We have upgraded our rotation, and our offense. The only thing we have lost from is the pen, and that is the back of the pen at that. The closer, top set up guy, middle reliever, and top lefty all stay the same. All we have to replace there is the long man, and the second lefty. The changes aren't nearly as big as you think they are.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 22, 2005 -> 01:59 AM)

The Yankee team cited played before they went into their Mega-Star era. The Yankee '97 payroll led the majors at $59.1 million, but was not insanely more than the 3rd highest, the Chicago White Sox at $54.3. These were the years of Chuck Knoblouch, Scott Brosius, and Paul O'Neill. They certainly had stars in Jeter, Williams and Tino Martinez but not like what they put out there today.

They played much like last year's White Sox, get a good start almost every game, play defense, and take advantage of opportunities as they arise. Martinez led the team with 28 HR, but 8 guys hit 17 or more, they just kept coming at you all game long. Since they switched to the big bopper, all-star fantasy league, super duper team the haven't won a WS.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 22, 2005 -> 08:19 AM)
Lets actually look at the players who have a daily impact instead of the 23rd, 24th, and 25th men on the team please.  The Sox have changed their CF, DH, 5th starter, and last lefty and righties out of the pen.  That is two starters in the line up.  And to be honest later on when you asses the IP and ABs we lost it shows the impact is way less than the 8 of 25 men that you reference.  We have upgraded our rotation, and our offense.  The only thing we have lost from is the pen, and that is the back of the pen at that.  The closer, top set up guy, middle reliever, and top lefty all stay the same.  All we have to replace there is the long man, and the second lefty.  The changes aren't nearly as big as you think they are.

I think 28% of your AB is a lot, sir. For those scoring at home, here are the 2005 records of the players moved.