Prospects Poll

Butter Parque

Trade Deadline  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Which Prospect could you live without?

• Lance Broadway
    • Josh Fields
    • Ryan Sweeney
    • Jerry Owens
    • Francisco Hernandez
    • Ray Liotta

Sweeney is a guy that I'd really hate to give up. I mean, I love Fields and think he'll be a very good major league player, but there's something about Sweeney I just like to as where if I had to pick only one to keep, it would be Sweeney. Maybe it's b/c of the fact that he's younger than Fields, actually has OF experience (been playing there whole career and can play any position), and can fill a bigger need (RF when Dye is gone, whereas LF is easier to replace). Also, I truly believe he'll add power. I know a lot of people are worried about his lack of power, but he's still so young that he's not even done growing/adding muscle. And you've got to remember that he's been pushed through the system, always about 1 year ahead of where he really should have been. Anyway, I just get that feeling with him. As for the others, I like them all, but I wouldn't be opposed to dealing them.

Sox fans have a pretty common feeling about the farm system.

I too only care to see Sweeney stay. The rest can go and I won't miss them for a second. Fields is probably the only real impact power bat we have at the higher levels, but with such poor plate discipline, it's hard to see him becoming anything more than Russell Branyan(which is solid in it's own regards, just not great).

Sweeney's power hasn't come, but worst case scenario, you're looking at a guy with a .280 average and a .700 OPS or some such spiff, with a cannon for an arm in right field. Best case, by 2009, you can count on him for about .300 25 100 .370/.480/.850 or something along those lines, perhaps better

I agree with the Sweeney comments-but at this point, with Crede playing on a 1 year deal, and using agent Scott Boras we might end up missing Fields depending what happens in the offseason.

Sox might be better off holding onto Fields well into the offseason, until they can get Crede on a longterm contract if they so desire.

QUOTE(Hanger @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 12:22 PM)
I agree with the Sweeney comments-but at this point, with Crede playing on a 1 year deal, and using agent Scott Boras we might end up missing Fields depending what happens in the offseason.

Sox might be better off holding onto Fields well into the offseason, until they can get Crede on a longterm contract if they so desire.

Crede's not a free agent until after 2008.

At first I picked Fields because we have a pretty good 3rd baseman as it is, and a lot of teams would like to get a guy like Fields. But then I saw Owens (it was too late to pick him)...and I guess he's sucking it up in the minors. I could live without him. haha

QUOTE(Jake @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 12:36 AM)
The only one I really wanna keep is Sweeney. The rest, can go. Pitching prospects are a dime a dozen as it is.

Yeah just like Fransico Lriano and Justin Verlander are dime a dozen. I mean the Sox probably got 10 of those type prospects.

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 03:36 PM)
Yeah just like Fransico Lriano and Justin Verlander are dime a dozen. I mean the Sox probably got 10 of those type prospects.

There are MANY more highly touted prospects that turn into Kip Wells than ones that turn into Fransisco Liriano.

QUOTE(Jake @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 04:38 PM)
There are MANY more highly touted prospects that turn into Kip Wells than ones that turn into Fransisco Liriano.

I'm with you. VERRRY few pitching prospects even make the majors, let alone come in and dominate.

I could live without Sweeney and Liotta and Broadway. I would have rather given up Broadway than Lumsden. Sweeney has Zero power. You can't have your RF hitting less than 15 HRs a year. Liotta has no chance to make it to the bigs in my opinion. Broadway and McCullough will make it to the bigs for few years but will be out of the league 5 years after they become regulars. We have nobody worth keeping in the minors, so why don't we just trade them for proven talent now, and build a real farm system starting in 2007.

QUOTE(southsida86 @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 04:11 PM)
I could live without Sweeney and Liotta and Broadway. I would have rather given up Broadway than Lumsden. Sweeney has Zero power. You can't have your RF hitting less than 15 HRs a year. Liotta has no chance to make it to the bigs in my opinion. Broadway and McCullough will make it to the bigs for few years but will be out of the league 5 years after they become regulars. We have nobody worth keeping in the minors, so why don't we just trade them for proven talent now, and build a real farm system starting in 2007.

no team in contention is going to just trade for a bunch of minor league players

QUOTE(southsida86 @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 03:11 PM)
Sweeney has Zero power. You can't have your RF hitting less than 15 HRs a year.

Although I have not beared witness to this, but many feel Sweeney's home run potential is relatively high. He is only 21 years old, he has more time to grow. We need more gap/doubles/contact hitters as it is.

(No I don't mean Podsednik slapping popups to the left side non-stop. Does anyone remember a time when your "speed guy" just beat it into the ground and ran like hell? And on that note, Podsednik should be fast enough that they never turn a double play on him, but it happens all the time. I doubt his effort sometimes.)

It seems like Sweeney has shown more power every year. This team has plenty of power. We'll have plenty of power for a long time. We need good hitters. I think Sweeney will be an excellent hitter, good defender and good baserunner. An all around solid player. Not just a guy who smacks homers and than strikeouts 3 times in a row.