Soxtalk Softball Info

TornLabrum

A couple of months ago I received an email from Stephanie Furlan of the Sox asking if WSI wanted to have a patio party this year. We got ideas for dates and times, and somewhere along the way, Mike Gresham made what I thought was a great suggestion, and that is for both sites to participate, and have a softball game beforehand. He also suggested that donations for playing/viewing be accepted and donated to a charity.

So here's the deal for now. WSI would like to extend an invitation to SoxTalk members to join us at our patio party on Saturday evening, May 26 vs. the Devil Rays. The cost for the patio party and a lower reserved seat is $51.00. I'm leaving it up to Mike or his representative to contact our site's representative whitesoxwilkes about setting up the softball game.

This came after we'd designated this as WSI-Fest, but I consider this to actually be COTC III. I hope SoxTalk has a big turnout for this. Any questions or comments, email or PM me at WSI. Questions related directly to pricing, ticket availability, etc. should be directed to Stephanie Furlan: sfurlan@chisox.com.

To print out the flyer, go to this link: Link.

We at WSI hope to see a lot of you there.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, the glitch on my end is I have to get details from the Chicago Parks Department about getting a field arranged on that date, and finding out what costs are associated with that. We anticipate having a great time, and supporting a worthwhile cause, which we are 99% sure will be Windy City Sox fans and Chicago Baseball Cancer Charities. We are also hoping to make this an annual evento both have a great time together as Sox fans, and to also help those who are a lot less fortunate than us.

Please mark this date on your calendars, and even if you cannot make it to play, watch, or just take in a Sox game, and be willing to help us make a nice donation to some people who can really use it.

FYI, I split out all of the excess stuff that was in here. If it doesn't involve this thread, please keep it to PMs.

To summarize, we'd love to hear from people who have interest in the softball game, and/or feel free to click the link provided by Hal to join us for the patio party. You don't have to participate in both events if you do not wish to do so. Also you would not need to be present for the softball game in order to make a donation to the charity referenced in my prior post. I do have to contact the city of Chicago to get costs, rules, procedures, forms, insurance info etc, and I will have a final informational post once I find out all of the answers.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 1, 2007 -> 03:30 PM)
That is the plan. Hopefully it will be a great event where we can have fun playing softball, than catch the game that night all while we raise money for a very worth-while trivia.

I know I plan on attending this event.

those trivias sure do need our money ;)

May I suggest if you're having trouble on the phone with the CPD somebody going to the office in person?

Sometimes you can't hack through the bureaucracy on the phone and in person you'll have more luck. If this is a downtown thing (the office) I'd be willing to give it a crack. Let me know.

QUOTE(Steff @ Feb 1, 2007 -> 04:32 PM)
They have little leaguers in there practicing during the week at 4 and I think their games start at noon on Saturdays. I think there are 8 or 10 teams so getting the field on a Saturday might be tough.

I'll just get Mario to put us on one of his little league squads for the day :D

As always thanks for the heads up.

QUOTE(Steff @ Feb 1, 2007 -> 06:32 PM)
They have little leaguers in there practicing during the week at 4 and I think their games start at noon on Saturdays. I think there are 8 or 10 teams so getting the field on a Saturday might be tough.

Okay so scratch that then.

Looks we'll do what we always do: "El" surfing contest between Roosevelt & 35th.

Don't try this at home, kids!

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Feb 1, 2007 -> 06:25 PM)
May I suggest if you're having trouble on the phone with the CPD somebody going to the office in person?

Sometimes you can't hack through the bureaucracy on the phone and in person you'll have more luck. If this is a downtown thing (the office) I'd be willing to give it a crack. Let me know.

the office I need to talk to is at 541 North Hendricks. I will give it another chance or two over the phone as I have a couple of questions I need to ask, but thanks for the offer. I am really excited about this, as if this works out, it will be a really awesome event.

I received an email from Stephanie Furlan today indicating that there were those who were upset that this thing is being called WSI-Fest. I have no idea which site's users were complaining, but if anyone here did so, please don't take it out on her.

There's a reason we're going to stick to the title "WSI-Fest, and it has nothing to do with any kind of inter-site rivalry. (I personally couldn't care about stuff like that, as those of you who attended the COTC parites can attest.) I was asked by the Sox if WSI wanted to have a patio party. I surveyed our users who replied in the affirmative. I gave Stephanie the dates selected by WSI about New Year's Day. It was after this was in the works that Mike contacted me about combining a patio party with softball.

As it stands now, I'm at my busiest time of the year for my job; my son, who has linked the flyer is starting a new job, and the flyer covers both dates WSI selected. Neither my son nor I really have the time to make changes at this late date. You are all invited as our guests, and as the organizer, I can tell you that you are all just as welcome as any WSI member.

QUOTE(TornLabrum @ Feb 1, 2007 -> 06:09 PM)
I received an email from Stephanie Furlan today indicating that there were those who were upset that this thing is being called WSI-Fest. I have no idea which site's users were complaining, but if anyone here did so, please don't take it out on her.

There's a reason we're going to stick to the title "WSI-Fest, and it has nothing to do with any kind of inter-site rivalry. (I personally couldn't care about stuff like that, as those of you who attended the COTC parites can attest.) I was asked by the Sox if WSI wanted to have a patio party. I surveyed our users who replied in the affirmative. I gave Stephanie the dates selected by WSI about New Year's Day. It was after this was in the works that Mike contacted me about combining a patio party with softball.

As it stands now, I'm at my busiest time of the year for my job; my son, who has linked the flyer is starting a new job, and the flyer covers both dates WSI selected. Neither my son nor I really have the time to make changes at this late date. You are all invited as our guests, and as the organizer, I can tell you that you are all just as welcome as any WSI member.

I hope it wasn't one of our sites members and I look forward to the event, should be a real blast. As always, appreciate the effort you put into setting this bad boy up :cheers

Hal: That is just pathetic and sad, and it completely misses the whole spirit of what is going on. The whole point is supposed to be to get together and have some fun. You work your ass off annually to put this together and I know how much we all appreciate it. Let me promise you that no one from here is complaining about something as miniscule as what the event is called. For as much work as you do on it, you could call it Hal-Fest, and I would still be there, and have just as much fun. I am really sorry that you and the Sox have had to listen to that. If you need any help with this, just let me know.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 1, 2007 -> 07:21 PM)
the office I need to talk to is at 541 North Hendricks. I will give it another chance or two over the phone as I have a couple of questions I need to ask, but thanks for the offer. I am really excited about this, as if this works out, it will be a really awesome event.

Ask Stef to pull a few stings, maybe Roger will let you use the Cell.

As to the name controversy, I went to one and once you are there nobody cares what site you favor, its just a bunch of White Sox fans having fun and watching the boys. We saw Zoomer steal home but lost the game at the one I went to.

QUOTE(TLAK @ Feb 1, 2007 -> 09:09 PM)
Ask Stef to pull a few stings, maybe Roger will let you use the Cell.

As to the name controversy, I went to one and once you are there nobody cares what site you favor, its just a bunch of White Sox fans having fun and watching the boys. We saw Zoomer steal home but lost the game at the one I went to.

LMAO... I suppose I can ask my new best friend KDubya. :lolhitting

As for the name complaining I can think of several who probably hurt themselves getting to a phone to b**** about it.

QUOTE(Steff @ Feb 1, 2007 -> 09:23 PM)
LMAO... I suppose I can ask my new best friend KDubya. :lolhitting

As for the name complaining I can think of several who probably hurt themselves getting to a phone to b**** about it.

That doesn't make any less petty. Why would you be so insecure as to care about what the event is called? That is the part I don't get.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 2, 2007 -> 08:11 AM)
That doesn't make any less petty. Why would you be so insecure as to care about what the event is called? That is the part I don't get.

For the same reason you would complain about one board on another. :huh

Regardless, this is going to be a great event. :cheers

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 2, 2007 -> 08:11 AM)

I think this stemmed from a party a couple of years ago, someone from the SOX made mention

that "nobody" from this board bothered to show up, but I think a couple people here were there (I remember seeing a couple) I think the SOX (no fault on their part) think that this board doesnt participate. Didnt we try to do a patio party last year, and couldnt get anyone to commit?