so... it looks like Danks?

bkmoney

QUOTE(gosox41 @ Mar 24, 2007 -> 10:17 AM)
Unfortunately the other trade we made with our proven 17 game winner isn't turing out so well.

Bob

How's that trade looking for Phillies aswell right now? Garcia has a sore arm(To be examined today) and has posted a 11 something ERA in 8 innings so far this spring. Look past the question if we could have gotten more then just Floyd and Gio and maybe this was the only trade offered to us for him. So this trade right now is looking like Blah, Floyd isn't showing us anything and Garcia ain't showing the Phillies that he's ready to go out and dominant the NL.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As Rock stated, Danks isn't a kid who suffers from confidence problems. He has bene young at every level, and while he has struggled initially, he has made adjustments and improved drastically. Obviously, he has a mindset which allows for him to take his lumps without losing his confidence.

He's ready. Floyd looks more and more like a bust. Go with Danks.

Anyone else willing to hold off anointing a 5th starter until Russell pitches tomorrow?

Five innings against the Texas Rangers should not be overlooked. If he fares well -- ie; 5IP, 2 hits, 6SO's, 0ER, 1BB -- it should provide our coaches with a tough decision.

I'd actually be more willing to have Russell as our starter because of one fact -- Boras. I just despise the idea of wasting arbitration time unless Danks remains in Chicago for good. Which certainly isn't guaranteed.

Again, it would depend upon his Texas outing. He obviously possesses the pure stuff to succeed in the majors. Judging from his starts against Seattle and Kansas City, I'd say he's no further away than Danks. Both could use further conditioning; it just happens Danks is lefthanded and Russell throws 94 mph -- with movement.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

Is it not obvious to everyone that Mr. two (average) pitch pitcher Gavin Floyd just sucks. Can someone please tell me his positives. His stuff isn't that good neither is his command or control. Yuck send this guy to the minors and dont let him come near US Cellular Field until he can prove he not a 6+ ERA guy. As for Danks I like him a lot. As a rookie im not expecting that much from him, but if his ERA is under 5 Ill be happy. I think hes got way better stuff and a nasty breaking ball. He too could use the development of more than just Fastball, breaking ball, but for the time being he should be our guy. There is no way Floyd should be in the pen and I really hope it goes to Masset as well. And thats purely based on stuff. Like I said I dont know what the sox or KW saw in Floyd but after watching him he doesn't really have or do anything that well. Im excited about Danks though.

Edited by joeynach

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 24, 2007 -> 10:28 AM)
Anyone else willing to hold off anointing a 5th starter until Russell pitches tomorrow?

Five innings against the Texas Rangers should not be overlooked. If he fares well -- ie; 5IP, 2 hits, 6SO's, 0ER, 1BB -- it should provide our coaches with a tough decision.

I'd actually be more willing to have Russell as our starter because of one fact -- Boras. I just despise the idea of wasting arbitration time unless Danks remains in Chicago for good. Which certainly isn't guaranteed.

Again, it would depend upon his Texas outing. He obviously possesses the pure stuff to succeed in the majors. Judging from his starts against Seattle and Kansas City, I'd say he's no further away than Danks. Both could use further conditioning; it just happens Danks is lefthanded and Russell throws 94 mph -- with movement.

If the issue with Danks is whether or not he's ready, I just can't understand the urge to rush Russel to the big leagues even faster than Danks.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 24, 2007 -> 12:00 PM)
If the issue with Danks is whether or not he's ready, I just can't understand the urge to rush Russel to the big leagues even faster than Danks.

It's my own opinion, but I'd rather have someone with Russell's stuff sort through their development in the majors than Danks.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 24, 2007 -> 12:28 PM)
Danks is a lock to make the team right now, and I doubt he goes in the pen... I hope the org. has learned their lesson w/ McCarthy.

Does anyone think Russell will be promoted to AAA, and someone like Heath Phillips will be traded?

What if Russell comes out tomorrow and strikes out 10 Rangers in 5 innings? Even if it's an unlikely, I still believe tomorrows performance -- if dominant -- may sway the coaches vote.

Here's my rationale for selecting Russell. Most would say he's our second best option, right? If he begins the season in the majors and succeeds, Danks has time in AAA. If he fails immediately, then Danks is promoted. Conversely, if Danks succeeds immediately, Russell has time in AA/AAA. If he fails immediately, however, we're wasting valuable service time. How if it isn't until September when he's called up again?

I just don't see how starting Russell would hurt us much. Give him three/four starts, and if he's bad, then Danks can come up. Anyways, if I were Williams, I'd be careful throwing Danks into the fire and risk looking like an idiot if he just absolutely implodes. Have a home-grown product try himself first, then afterwards, the pitcher you've been scouting for years and centered a McCarthy trade around.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 24, 2007 -> 06:28 PM)
I hope the org. has learned their lesson w/ McCarthy.

So the Sox shouldn't break guys into the majors through the bullpen because one guy failed? Even though it worked well for guys like Buehrle and Santana? I'm not saying that it's the right move for either Danks or Floyd, but you can't use one guy to make your case.

Maybe the Sox should avoid EVER drafting a player from Stanford because Joe Borchard busted...

If you look at Danks' career thus far, he has a habit of getting promoted and pushed a little beyond his ability, struggles a little, then catches on a does really well. That, combined with his obvious confidence in himself, and that tells me what he needs to succeed is challenges. Therefore, the majors seems to be the place for him at this point.

Floyd on the other hand, seems to require two things - more confidence, and some consistency. For those two things, starting in AAA may be the best place for him. My fear is that they will put him in the pen, which does not give him what he needs right now.

So I'm hoping for Danks as #5, and Floyd going to the AAA rotation (which means Haeger in the pen, probably).

QUOTE(TheOcho @ Mar 24, 2007 -> 10:45 AM)
How's that trade looking for Phillies aswell right now? Garcia has a sore arm(To be examined today) and has posted a 11 something ERA in 8 innings so far this spring. Look past the question if we could have gotten more then just Floyd and Gio and maybe this was the only trade offered to us for him. So this trade right now is looking like Blah, Floyd isn't showing us anything and Garcia ain't showing the Phillies that he's ready to go out and dominant the NL.

At the time of the trade, the Sox didn't knowhe was hurt. I don't let injuries affect my judgement in a trade unless one of the team accuses the other of not providing all the facts. In this case, the Phillies aren't complaining. Id you are saying KW knowingly traded an injured player for whatever he can get, then his rep is all but shot and few GM's will deal with him.

Bob

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Mar 24, 2007 -> 07:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No he didn't, IIRC.

Well you don't RC.

January 14, 2001: Traded by the Toronto Blue Jays with Matt DeWitt to the Chicago White Sox for Kevin Beirne, Brian Simmons, Mike Sirotka, and Mike Williams (minors).

It was KW's first "big" move.