2008 First Year Player Draft

OilCan

QUOTE(rockren @ Dec 15, 2007 -> 11:11 AM)
We never drafted a Danks before.......we traded for John....

With the 575th pick of the 2005 First-Year Player Draft, the White Sox selected Jordan Danks. The outfielder already had made it clear that he intended to attend the University of Texas, accounting for a player of his stature and talent slipping far below his value in the 19th round. But the White Sox thought they would take a chance and try to pick up a draft steal in the process.

Jordan Danks kept his commitment to the Longhorns, but his family left the process with a very good feeling about the White Sox organization. Two years later, Jordan's older brother is competing for the fifth starter's spot in the club's rotation after coming over from Texas with Nick Masset and Jacob Rasner in a Christmas deal for Brandon McCarthy.

Link.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(ptatc @ Dec 14, 2007 -> 11:21 PM)
Didn't we just sign him to a 5 year deal that has three left on it? That would be banking on him.

That's the point...we signed him to a 5-yr, reasonable dollar deal and he has 3 yrs left so either we are sticking with him or we can trade him (since he has a reasonable deal and is still a performer). There are plenty of guys that get signed and then traded within the deals (unless they have full NTCs and then they still might get traded if they waive it).

In regards to your question about what option to go with in terms of the draft...I think you pick the high ceiling guy as the Sox farm system has quantity but not necessarily top of the line quality. We have had "safe" picks with Broadway and McCulloch and while these guys may be nice 5th starters or bullpen arms in the future, we should be going for the ace or stud in the first round. Don't let the Borchard signing scare you off KW, that was just your love for Stanford guys! You already got that guy in Quentin this year so go for the High School or college stud.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an interesting player I learned about while looking up info on Sergio Miranda...

Jared Bolden - Miranda's teammate at VCU

He plays 1B and OF. Not sure where he'll rank, get drafted, etc., but appears to be an excellent hitter and fielder.

Here's an excerpt from the article linked above...

"The season is still over two months away, but the recognition is already starting to roll in as junior first baseman Jared Bolden was named to the 2008 Brooks Wallace Player of the Year Watch List, released late least week. Bolden, a first-team All-CAA performer last year, finished last season with a team-leading .383 batting average, with 18 doubles, five triples and five home runs, along with 49 RBIs and 17 stolen bases. Even more impressive was his defensive prowess as the first baseman committed just two errors all of last season."

QUOTE(scenario @ Dec 24, 2007 -> 11:42 AM)
Here's an interesting player I learned about while looking up info on Sergio Miranda...

Jared Bolden - Miranda's teammate at VCU

He plays 1B and OF. Not sure where he'll rank, get drafted, etc., but appears to be an excellent hitter and fielder.

Here's an excerpt from the article linked above...

"The season is still over two months away, but the recognition is already starting to roll in as junior first baseman Jared Bolden was named to the 2008 Brooks Wallace Player of the Year Watch List, released late least week. Bolden, a first-team All-CAA performer last year, finished last season with a team-leading .383 batting average, with 18 doubles, five triples and five home runs, along with 49 RBIs and 17 stolen bases. Even more impressive was his defensive prowess as the first baseman committed just two errors all of last season."

Looks like a decent prospect, but not someone worth the 8th overall pick... if he's there in the 3rd round however, I got no problem with a selection of him.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE(daa84 @ Jan 13, 2008 -> 08:48 PM)
a real good source told me pedro alvarez is leaning towards signing boras, so he might be available when we pick....too bad we dont deal with boras though

The Sox would draft a Boras client if they were the right player - you still get the guy for his time in the minors plus a bunch of cheap years after.

QUOTE(Vance Law @ Jan 14, 2008 -> 01:34 PM)
The problem, however, would be the outrageous signing bonus demand.

Whats more outrageous, paying a lump sum at the beginning of career of someone who will be cheap for a while after that lump sum. Or paying Juan Uribe 4.5 million a year to swing for the fences and fall over. Right now medicore players are getting large amounts of money, so what would you rather have a possible impact guy or a crappy guy for a few years. I would rather gamble right now on the high end player than save the money for crap later on.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jan 14, 2008 -> 01:39 PM)
Whats more outrageous, paying a lump sum at the beginning of career of someone who will be cheap for a while after that lump sum. Or paying Juan Uribe 4.5 million a year to swing for the fences and fall over. Right now medicore players are getting large amounts of money, so what would you rather have a possible impact guy or a crappy guy for a few years. I would rather gamble right now on the high end player than save the money for crap later on.

To clarify, I wasn't totally disagreeing with you. I meant my comment as something potentially that the Sox or Williams would use as a reason not to deal with Boras, not what I think. Haven't some recent Boras guys sat out a year when they couldn't agree on a large enough signing bonus? I agree that I hope we sign the best player available, regardless of anything else.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 14, 2008 -> 08:37 AM)
The Sox would draft a Boras client if they were the right player - you still get the guy for his time in the minors plus a bunch of cheap years after.

I'd love to believe you, but if what you say is true, then how do you explain Rick Porcello slipping past us last year?

QUOTE(BaseballNick @ Jan 14, 2008 -> 09:45 PM)
I'd love to believe you, but if what you say is true, then how do you explain Rick Porcello slipping past us last year?

I really hope that a change of personel (who even knows if Porcello was ranked higher than Poreda on their board due to our s***ty/questionable picks over the years excluding Fields) from us can maybe make us do things differently or if Jerry/KW can put up with Bora$ (both unlikely) but we will see. I doubt a talent like Pedro will even be available to us even with Bora$ as his agent, but if he is, we better take him even if he doesn't sign. (get the same draft slot next year) I'm kinda excited to see how the changes we made in the farm system pan out and see if can rebuild the farm and have a future.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Jan 14, 2008 -> 10:00 PM)
I really hope that a change of personel (who even knows if Porcello was ranked higher than Poreda on their board due to our s***ty/questionable picks over the years excluding Fields) from us can maybe make us do things differently or if Jerry/KW can put up with Bora$ (both unlikely) but we will see. I doubt a talent like Pedro will even be available to us even with Bora$ as his agent, but if he is, we better take him even if he doesn't sign. (get the same draft slot next year) I'm kinda excited to see how the changes we made in the farm system pan out and see if can rebuild the farm and have a future.

Agreed. There will be great talent at the 8th spot in the draft and we need to take the best available player regardless of his representation. I don't care if he's a pitcher, 1B, 3B, Boras client, whatever - swallow your pride and take the best player.

• 1 month later...
Vanderbilt junior third baseman Pedro Alvarez will be out indefinitely after sustaining a broken hamate bone in his right hand during the Commodores' trip to Arizona this past weekend.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...TS0602/80227004

i figure this has to affect his draft stock...well see when and how he comes back...but with a hand injury and potentially signing boras, it isnt out of question that he will be there at 8 for us

QUOTE(daa84 @ Feb 27, 2008 -> 09:54 AM)
http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...TS0602/80227004

i figure this has to affect his draft stock...well see when and how he comes back...but with a hand injury and potentially signing boras, it isnt out of question that he will be there at 8 for us

And there is no question we won't draft him, even though he could be a top notch 1st baseman I think.

Mock Draft:

http://www.mymlbdraft.com/MLB-Mock-Draft-2008

Has us taking RHP Aaron Crow. He's a 6-2, 195lb pitcher from Missouri. Scouting report:

Crow and Matusz are legitimate candidates to go No. 1 overall to the Rays. The top prospect in the Cape Cod League last summer, Crow's velocity (up to 98 mph), life and ability to hit both sides of the plate give him the best fastball in college baseball. The consensus is that he owns the best slider and arguably the best command as well. His changeup is a decent third pitch.

"In high school, he had a nice arm action but he was 84-86," a second front-office official said. "I saw him several times last year, and he sat at 93-96 with a good slider. The only question is durability. He's not a big guy and his delivery isn't effortless. How many innings he gives you is the question mark, but it's special stuff."

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/colle...008/265573.html

More on him:

Crow made the most of his opportunity on the Cape last summer by ranking as the league’s top prospect. He did so by leading the league in ERA (0.67) while showing incredible command of a fastball that sat in the 91-94 range and touched 98. He started the Cape Cod League All-Star team for the West squad, striking out Cole Figueroa, Collin Cowgill and Yonder Alonso to open the game. He keeps the ball down extremely well and works the corners like a seasoned veteran. When you see how well he spots the ball you would be surprised to know that he throws the ball at hard as he does. His slider and changeup are solid average offerings, but despite the quality of his fastball, he doesn’t strike out as many batters as you might think he would. That might be more by design given his strike zone mastery with his fastball, and will miss more bats as he tightens up his secondary pitches. While he doesn’t have the ideal pitcher’s body, he is a good athlete with a loose arm that repeats his delivery well.

http://www.brewerfan.net/ViewAmateurPlayer...3&draftId=6

He's also touched 99mph apparently in his last start. If they go with a pitcher, he seems like he would be a good guy to start off with.

Edited by nitetrain8601

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Mar 5, 2008 -> 07:46 PM)
Mock Draft:

http://www.mymlbdraft.com/MLB-Mock-Draft-2008

Has us taking RHP Aaron Crow. He's a 6-2, 195lb pitcher from Missouri. Scouting report:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/colle...008/265573.html

More on him:

http://www.brewerfan.net/ViewAmateurPlayer...3&draftId=6

He's also touched 99mph apparently in his last start. If they go with a pitcher, he seems like he would be a good guy to start off with.

jim callis said he thinks crow is the most likely guy to go #1 overall