MSFT/YHOO 45 billion dollar marriage made in heaven

southsider2k5

I think that aside from Google's marketshare and near-synonymy with Internet search, their technology development teams are just so good and so innovative that Micro-Yahoo still can't compete. All of the third-party mashup applications being built from Google technology is something that the insular-thinking Microsoft will just not be able to compete with imo.

Edit to add: And I'm not just saying that to kiss up to Google because their VP of Engineering is my old college dorm and apartment mate. On the other hand. . . Jeff, if you see this you know I'm always available if you want me to head up development of Google Beer for you. ;)

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Feb 1, 2008 -> 06:15 PM)
Microsoft could give two s***s about search.

Microsoft wants Yahoo's portal sites which are THE most visited on the web, so its about ad revenue and customer base. It's like buying the Superbowl of the Internet is how it was explained.

The thing is, you can't separate search and advertising anymore. Yahoo's portals do get more hits than anything else on the web, but such a huge chunk of Google's ad revenue doesn't come from portal hits at all but from search-based ad matches. Combine that with the money they rake in from the hundreds of thousands of sites with Adsense deployed on it (contrast that with yahoo's Publisher Network which has been in beta since 2005) and I'm hard-pressed to believe Google is lacking in ad revenue and customer base.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Feb 2, 2008 -> 12:10 AM)
Think about this. Your Yahoo! account now suddenly offers you the ability to use MS Word online. And since it interfaces with your MS Office so well, why bother using Google Docs?

Microsoft has never been serious about disaggragating/decentralizing productivity apps or particular chunks of functionality of them, and I don't see them suddenly getting it now. At least in the short term.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Feb 2, 2008 -> 04:54 AM)
Microsoft has never been serious about disaggragating/decentralizing productivity apps or particular chunks of functionality of them, and I don't see them suddenly getting it now. At least in the short term.

And even when they do try such things, usually they don't work very well

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Feb 2, 2008 -> 03:31 PM)
If we pooled all our money here, we might just get $100,000 to buy yahoo.

1/450000th should be enough for a down payment, right? ;)

About a year ago, if you were buying real estate, the answer would have been yes.