4/23 Games

NorthSideSox72

Charlotte (8-9) @ Durham (8-10), 6:05pm CDT, Broadway (2-1, 0.82 ERA) goes for Charlotte

West Tennesee defeated B-Ham 8-4. Of note for the Barons:

--Nanita: 2-4, HR, 2 R, RBI, SB (hitting .319 now)

--Castillo: 3-4, 2 RBI

--Valido 0-4 (he's hitting .123, has a .309 OPS, and has 13 K's versus 2 BB)

--Omogrosso (ND): 5 IP, 6 H, 3 ER, 1 BB, 5 K

--Santeliz (L): 3 IP, 4 H, 5 ER, 5 BB, 0 K

Winston-Salem beat Potomac 7-5. Highlights:

--Colina: 2-4, 2 2B

--Allen: 1-4, HR, 2 RBI, R

--Retherford: 3-4, HR, 2 RBI, R

--Dubee (W): 6 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 2 K

Kanny beat Greensboro 3-1. Highlights:

--Mead: 1-4, HR, RBI, R, BB, SB (has 6 stolen bases)

--Martinez: 1-4, 2 R, SB

--L Johnson: 1-3, RBI, BB, E

--Jones (ND): started, went 4 IP, 1 ER

--Maxwell (W): 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K

--Mabee (Sv): 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 2 K (ERA is not 0.82)

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 23, 2008 -> 04:01 PM)
Logan Johnson may be 4'2" with maybe no real ceiling, but since I saw him play college ball, I've really like the way this little guy hits. Pushing a .917 OPS

Its always fun to watch guys like that - the ones who are given near-zero shot, but manage to succeed at each level anyway, and then eventually, some actually make it. The Ehren Wassermanns of the world. Most won't make it of course, but its fun to root for them, and once in a while they defy the experts and succeed anyway.

Brief review of what I heard about tonight's game: Owens was fantastic, including a great diving catch. Fields oppo field homer wasn't hit far. He's hit the ball hard the last few days though. Broadway was decent, but isn't a MLB starter. Wasserman was filthy, and Egbert's motion was weird, but not very good stuff.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 23, 2008 -> 08:41 PM)
Brief review of what I heard about tonight's game: Owens was fantastic, including a great diving catch. Fields oppo field homer wasn't hit far. He's hit the ball hard the last few days though. Broadway was decent, but isn't a MLB starter. Wasserman was filthy, and Egbert's motion was weird, but not very good stuff.

Who's telling you that Broadway isn't an MLB starter?

Whoever it is, I think they're wrong.

QUOTE (scenario @ Apr 24, 2008 -> 02:49 AM)
Who's telling you that Broadway isn't an MLB starter?

Whoever it is, I think they're wrong.

Someone who's at the game surrounding by scouts (he said there were more scouts than usual at the game tonight).

Broadway's cup of coffee last year seems to disagree with fathom's source.

On the brightside however, I think you can watch archived games of milb.tv for free. So, I think we can watch tonights Knights game for free tomorrow.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (BearSox @ Apr 24, 2008 -> 03:55 AM)
Broadway's cup of coffee last year seems to disagree with fathom's source.

On the brightside however, I think you can watch archived games of milb.tv for free. So, I think we can watch tonights Knights game for free tomorrow.

Big difference between being a long reliever and an actual rotation starter. I actually really like Broadway in the role that Masset has now.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 23, 2008 -> 09:51 PM)
Someone who's at the game surrounding by scouts (he said there were more scouts than usual at the game tonight).

LOL. I always love guy at the ballpark evaluations.

Any reasons stated or just didn't like him?

Anything that would invalidate what we saw when he was called up last year?

14 K's; 5 BB's; in 10 innings with a very solid start.

QUOTE (scenario @ Apr 24, 2008 -> 03:18 AM)
LOL. I always love guy at the ballpark evaluations.

Any reasons stated or just didn't like him?

Anything that would invalidate what we saw when he was called up last year?

14 K's; 5 BB's; in 10 innings with a very solid start.

89 mph fastball and a TERRIBLE Bulls hitting team. Joel Guzman is quite the bust.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 23, 2008 -> 10:20 PM)
89 mph fastball and a TERRIBLE Bulls hitting team. Joel Guzman is quite the bust.

So, the reason he did well is only because Durham sucks.

OK... what about his last 3 starts where he gave up a total of 2 earned runs? They didn't all suck.

One game was an 8-inning start against 1st place Scranton? (Scranton is second in both OBP and SLG in the entire International League.)

He doesn't need a blazing fastball to be a starter. With the late movement he has on his pitches, if he shows good command he could start. There are alot of starters in MLB I can think of who are similar.

Broadway simply got people's hopes up after his start at the end of last season.

He wasn't a good pick at that spot, and that's been established.

I think for an NL Team he could certainly be a back end starter in a rotation, but I don't think he's going to have that chance here unless something happens.

QUOTE (scenario @ Apr 24, 2008 -> 01:34 PM)
So, the reason he did well is only because Durham sucks.

OK... what about his last 3 starts where he gave up a total of 2 earned runs? They didn't all suck.

One game was an 8-inning start against 1st place Scranton? (Scranton is second in both OBP and SLG in the entire International League.)

He doesn't need a blazing fastball to be a starter. With the late movement he has on his pitches, if he shows good command he could start. There are alot of starters in MLB I can think of who are similar.

That has been an issue for him in the past IIRC.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Apr 23, 2008 -> 10:35 PM)
That has been an issue for him in the past IIRC.

His control was only a problem last year when they had him spend the entire season learning a 2-seam fastball.

Except for 2007, he's been an extreme control pitcher (about 2.5 BB/9)

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/B/L...-Broadway.shtml

And so far this year... 2.57 BB/9

Somebody with that type of control and pitches that move is going to get a shot somewhere.

And he has great late movement on his pitches.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 23, 2008 -> 09:20 PM)

depends, was the 89 mph a straight one or one with movement? Plus, Broadway has some good secondary stuff.

Edited by BearSox

One could also tie together the Broadway and Wass discussions here, in a way. Wassermann tops out around 89 or 90 as well, but has shown to be quite effective. He's got good control, has a lot of funky movement on his pitches, and in his case add in that weird motion. If Broadway could have a high level of control, good moving pitches and some good secondary stuff, then I'd think 89 mph isn't really much of a problem.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Apr 23, 2008 -> 09:35 PM)
Broadway simply got people's hopes up after his start at the end of last season.

He wasn't a good pick at that spot, and that's been established.

I think for an NL Team he could certainly be a back end starter in a rotation, but I don't think he's going to have that chance here unless something happens.

I don't think that's been established. If he becomes an effective MLB starting pitcher is it a poor pick?

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 24, 2008 -> 11:21 PM)
I don't think that's been established. If he becomes an effective MLB starting pitcher is it a poor pick?

Well to me, if you're picking someone at #15, you want someone who's going to become a good player, not an all-star, but at least someone who can reguarly contribute.

Do I see Broadway doing that? Probably not with us. Just don't think he has the pure stuff to be a reliable starter in our rotation. I mean he's polished yes, but he just doesn't have a lot of up-side.

There are many good players / prospects who were taken behind him, Chris Volstad, Yuniel Escobar, Matt Garza, Jacoby Ellsburry, Travis Buck etc.

I mean we took Josh Fields at #18 the previous draft, and he's certainly a much better prospect than Broadway.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 23, 2008 -> 09:51 PM)

Any thoughts on why there were more scouts at last nights game? (not just for fathom, but anyone who follows these teams more closely than I do)