The Democrat Thread

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Sep 22, 2009 -> 10:17 PM)
I think it would be an ideal solution if the "caretaker" Senator would be considered ineligible for the special election.

Yeah. BUt it seems if it's Dukakis that's not a worry THIS time. But giving that person the name recognition is an unfair advantage.

• Replies 20.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Sep 22, 2009 -> 02:17 PM)
I think it would be an ideal solution if the "caretaker" Senator would be considered ineligible for the special election.

Isn't that exactly what this bill says? That was specifically how the late Senator requested it be done.

Seriously though why is she in Hong Kong criticizing health care reform? Why would Chinese investors give a flying f*** about domestic American politics? There is no transcript of her speech but she was apparently going on about death panels again and talking about big government. Really though... I mean at least make a half-assed effort to explain how it could affect China... I mean damn. She doesn't even pretend to understand macroeconomics.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 23, 2009 -> 09:26 AM)
Seriously though why is she in Hong Kong criticizing health care reform? Why would Chinese investors give a flying f*** about domestic American politics? There is no transcript of her speech but she was apparently going on about death panels again and talking about big government. Really though... I mean at least make a half-assed effort to explain how it could affect China... I mean damn. She doesn't even pretend to understand macroeconomics.

They are the ones who are going to finance Obama's health plan.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 23, 2009 -> 10:27 AM)
They are the ones who are going to finance Obama's health plan.

Yeah but that's not what she's talking about and she didn't even try to go there. Generally speaking, in foreign policy nobody gives a s*** about someone else's domestic politics (except some people here in the U.S.).

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 23, 2009 -> 09:58 AM)
Ugh that woman is among the dumbest in the world.

I'm sure she is actually smarter than the average American on the street. But she isn't the sharpest tool among high level leaders, to say the least, and she makes it worse by playing up the whole home-town-girl schtick because she thinks if works for her (and to a certain degree, she is right). More than anything, she is just an embarrassment.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 23, 2009 -> 11:11 AM)
I'm sure she is actually smarter than the average American on the street. But she isn't the sharpest tool among high level leaders, to say the least, and she makes it worse by playing up the whole home-town-girl schtick because she thinks if works for her (and to a certain degree, she is right). More than anything, she is just an embarrassment.

After all she reads all of the papers. All of them.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 23, 2009 -> 10:11 AM)

I'm beginning to think more and more that the dumb hometown bimbo isn't a schtick. Its been going on for too long and its too consistent.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 23, 2009 -> 10:21 AM)
I'm beginning to think more and more that the dumb hometown bimbo isn't a schtick. Its been going on for too long and its too consistent.

I am not saying its 100% a play, I think its an exaggeration. I think she plays up certain aspects of her personality for effect.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 23, 2009 -> 10:26 AM)
I am not saying its 100% a play, I think its an exaggeration. I think she plays up certain aspects of her personality for effect.

At this point has anyone seen her "normal" personality? I'm starting to think this is it.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 23, 2009 -> 10:29 AM)
At this point has anyone seen her "normal" personality? I'm starting to think this is it.

I've listened to some of her speeches and seen interviews, and what I see is a wavering back and forth that I believe is her injecting exaggerated quirks for effect. But she has been doing it so long, its probably instinctive now. And no, obviously, I don't know here personally so I can't say for sure. Just my opinion.

In any case, real or fake or a bit of both, she belongs nowhere near any sort of leadership position - she is either really that dumb (which I find unlikely), or she is just a little dumber than the people typically at her level but plays up the hick angle which says she thinks everyone else is stupid. Just not good, either way.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 23, 2009 -> 04:37 PM)
I've listened to some of her speeches and seen interviews, and what I see is a wavering back and forth that I believe is her injecting exaggerated quirks for effect. But she has been doing it so long, its probably instinctive now. And no, obviously, I don't know here personally so I can't say for sure. Just my opinion.

In any case, real or fake or a bit of both, she belongs nowhere near any sort of leadership position - she is either really that dumb (which I find unlikely), or she is just a little dumber than the people typically at her level but plays up the hick angle which says she thinks everyone else is stupid. Just not good, either way.

has there ever been this kind of "aww shucks, i'm dumb" type politician before?

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 23, 2009 -> 11:53 AM)
Reagan but he wasn't actually dumb. Palin on the other hand I'm convinced I could talk circles around. In 6 weeks I'll also have the same level of education she has except I will have gotten more out of mine.

Usually anti-intellectual populist figures with a grasp on actual power are fairly intellectual themselves - having gone to good schools, etc.

Palin seems to be a solid exception to that rule.