The Democrat Thread

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 20, 2009 -> 06:45 PM)
This isn't hurting them at all. The vast majority aren't paying attention/don't care, and Fox, for the first time I've seen has to defend itself and is damn near acknowledging slant. Politically this at worst does nothing to Obama and at best gives cover to other news networks not to cover dumb f***ing stories like czars and tea partiers.

I think you are missing the bigger picture here. The right-wing crazies won't care, might get more incensed, but they don't matter here because they are so allergic to Obama anyway. Far lefties also don't matter here, this won't do anything to help or hurt.

People in the middle, split them up. If they watch Fox, they aren't going to want Obama telling them their network is biased - they aren't going to say "oh, better switch!". They will not care, or care and be more likely to watch Fox. The middle of the road people that don't watch Fox will start wondering what the hubub is about - AND WATCH.

Its politically dumb. Not over the top dumb, I don't think its a huge effect, but the effect there will be is negative. It gains nothing other than making ObamaCo look defensive.

• Replies 20.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 20, 2009 -> 04:32 PM)
I disagree - I think Obama going after Fox is politically stupid. If you want to convey the idea that Fox is a partisan non-journalistic news network (which... duh), then you treat it as such - ignore them, maybe laugh at them a little bit when the opportunity presents itself, and just go on doing your job.

I dunno, I've gotten the impression that ignoring what is going on over at Fox hasn't exactly worked. How many of their Meme's have fully penetrated the national consciousness just because Fox was pushing them? The Death Panels, the town hall disruptions, how horrible the budget deficit is now that a Demycrat's in office, the birthers, all of Glenn Beck's other conspiracies, etc. It's interesting to me that the major drop-off in Obama's polling data seems to have turned around since mid-Sept when he genuinely started slugging back.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 20, 2009 -> 07:55 PM)
I think you are missing the bigger picture here. The right-wing crazies won't care, might get more incensed, but they don't matter here because they are so allergic to Obama anyway. Far lefties also don't matter here, this won't do anything to help or hurt.

People in the middle, split them up. If they watch Fox, they aren't going to want Obama telling them their network is biased - they aren't going to say "oh, better switch!". They will not care, or care and be more likely to watch Fox. The middle of the road people that don't watch Fox will start wondering what the hubub is about - AND WATCH.

Its politically dumb. Not over the top dumb, I don't think its a huge effect, but the effect there will be is negative. It gains nothing other than making ObamaCo look defensive.

Eh I think he's starting to get annoyed with the news cycle being hijacked by stupid s*** that he's forced to acknowledge and thought he had to do something. For a while he was trying to ignore them but that just lets the bulls*** gain traction. At the end of the day I don't think this will hurt him politically. Conservatives have been doing the s*** for 40 years incessantly, has it hurt them?

QUOTE (lostfan @ Oct 20, 2009 -> 07:14 PM)
Eh I think he's starting to get annoyed with the news cycle being hijacked by stupid s*** that he's forced to acknowledge and thought he had to do something. For a while he was trying to ignore them but that just lets the bulls*** gain traction. At the end of the day I don't think this will hurt him politically. Conservatives have been doing the s*** for 40 years incessantly, has it hurt them?

I just don't agree with you guys. But as for the bolded, they've really amped up the MSM s*** in the last decade, and yes, it has hurt them. They come off like the angry white guys, and they have lost the political moderates - this is of course only part of the reason for that, but its a factor.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 20, 2009 -> 07:32 PM)
I disagree - I think Obama going after Fox is politically stupid. If you want to convey the idea that Fox is a partisan non-journalistic news network (which... duh), then you treat it as such - ignore them, maybe laugh at them a little bit when the opportunity presents itself, and just go on doing your job.

Worked for FDR in 36 and 40.

So it was about a year ago now, when at a rally for Obama, VP Joe Biden asked missouri state rep Chuck Graham to stand up and be recognized. Crucially forgetting Graham was a paraplegic. "Lord Help me" was Biden's response when he figured it out. Ahhh, I miss the campaign.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 18, 2009 -> 04:45 PM)
There are plenty of nutjobs out there making it perfectly clear that they would embrace an armed revolution to overthrow a legitimately elected President who has broken no laws.

More frightening hilarity.

READY TO REVOLT

Did this many people lose their minds when Clinton was president or did these people just forget that in a democracy you don't always get your way?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 22, 2009 -> 08:13 AM)
More frightening hilarity.

READY TO REVOLT

Did this many people lose their minds when Clinton was president or did these people just forget that in a democracy you don't always get your way?

I read the other day that Obama receives 400% more death threats than Bush did.

The Nation counter's Sarah Palin's book...

"Going Rouge": Nation Editors Mock Palin With Book Of Their Own

s-PALIN-MEMOIRS-large.jpg

An alternative, liberal judgment of Sarah Palin's legacy will appear in book stores on November 17, the same day Palin's own autobiography, "Going Rogue: An American Life," hits the shelves. "Going Rouge: An American Nightmare" is the brainchild of Richard Kim and Betsy Reed, editors at the progressive magazine The Nation. In addition to their nearly identical titles, the two books share similar covers, both showing Palin smiling into the distance.

"The cover is a parody of hers and it certainly takes some shots and mocks Sarah Palin, but it is a very serious book and the book itself is not a parody," Kim told POLITICO. "It is not at all intended as a joke or a parody." "Going Rouge" will feature essays from 23 contributors, including Jim Hightower and Naomi Klein.

The publisher's website reads:

The mo
s
t hone
s
t, revealing account of the Palin
s
tory to appear thi
s
fall? You betcha!
S
arah Palin ha
s
many face
s
: hoc
k
ey mom, fundamentali
s
t Chri
s
tian,
s
ex
s
ymbol, Republican ideologue, fa
s
hion icon, "maveric
k
" populi
s
t. But, above all, Palin ha
s
become one thing: an American ob
s
e
s
s
ion that ju
s
t won't go away.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 09:07 AM)
I can't wait for it to come out. I want to find a way to actively show my non-support for this fraud and embarrassment to our society.

Agree. There is no other political figure in recent memory that I despise as much as her (leaving out people on the margins who aren't real players).

This made me LOL:

During an appearance yesterday on Hardball, Rep. Alan Grayson (D-FL) jokingly suggested that former Vice President Dick Cheney is a vampire.

Chris Matthews asked Grayson what he thinks of Cheney's attacks on President Obama for "dithering" on Afghanistan.

"Well, my response is -- and by the way, I have trouble listening to what he says sometimes, because of the blood that drips from his teeth while he's talking," said Grayson. "But my response is this: He's just angry because the president doesn't shoot old men in the face. But by the way, when he was done speaking, did he just then turn into a bat and fly away?"

Even Matthews, no Cheney fan himself, was shocked: "Oh God -- we got to keep a level here. Let me ask you this: Don't you have any Republican friends?"

Grayson laughed, and said that some of his best friends are Republicans.