Stark Says Sox Signed Van Benschoten

Wise Master Buehrle

• The Giants aren't the only team interested in Florida's Jorge Cantu. There are indications the White Sox also have gotten involved.

This isn't threadworthy... but what does everyone think of Cantu?

edit- that tidbit is in the link

Edited by DukeNukeEm

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 09:52 PM)
They might try and make him a hitter.

Agreed, he was a fantastic hitter coming out of school, and the Pirates made a profound mistake trying to turn him into a pitcher. He's experienced some sucess in that role, but has very limited periods of actual control.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 11:56 PM)
How could you ever think of turning a guy who hits 31 homers during his last college seasion into a pitcher? Especially, when you think of the offensive talent that the Pirates had back in 2001.

it wasnt 31 HR ....but check out tim hudsons college #s

QUOTE (daa84 @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 10:59 PM)
it wasnt 31 HR ....but check out tim hudsons college #s

The difference between Hudson and JVB in my mind was that despite JVP being a closer he always had very raw stuff. Now, Hudson despite also being a great hitter was far more advanced as a pitcher in college then JVB was. I think that fact that one of them was drafted by the Athletics has a lot to do with it, because the A’s at the time were just getting out of the Kenny Rogers era, and were looking for a well-developed pitcher.

And pretty sure JVB hits 31 homers in his junior year

Kent State

AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB

225 74 99 17 6 31 84 23 2 55

Edited by Thunderbolt

Many scouts liked him more as a hitting prospect out of college than a pitching prospect. Clearly he's a bit of a project but he has a ton of raw offensive ability and could very well develop into a viable offensive prospect in two years time (albeit he'd be old). Still, its a low risk move and one I like a lot.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 10:06 PM)
The difference between Hudson and JVB in my mind was that despite JVP being a closer he always had very raw stuff. Now, Hudson despite also being a great hitter was far more advanced as a pitcher in college then JVB was. I think that fact that one of them was drafted by the Athletics has a lot to do with it, because the A’s at the time were just getting out of the Kenny Rogers era, and were looking for a well-developed pitcher.

And pretty sure JVB hits 31 homers in his junior year

Kent State

AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB

225 74 99 17 6 31 84 23 2 55

He also played for Kent State, as opposed to playing at Auburn like Hudson.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 05:30 AM)
If the sox are interested in Cantu, it's more likely for 1b than 3b. The sox may be looking to deal Konerko then.

Maybe, but the Sox could play him at 3rd in 2009 and move him to 1st in 2010 when Konerko moves to DH. Viciedo could be the new outfielder to replace Dye so he could be traded for pitching instead of another outfielder. Beckham could play 3rd in 2010. Sox have many options for 2nd and Alexei at SS. Or Furcal gets signed.

Right now Cantu is a safer bet than Fields. I think Cantu will strike out less, hit for higher average, have comparable power and D, and he has never talked about quitting baseball to my knowledge. Cantu would also be more consistent since he can hit both right and left hading pitching decently (career .269 avg vs L .277 vs Rhp). 29 Hr 95 rbi and .277 in Florida could improve to 32, 105, and .285 in Chicago. I like Fields, but I'd feel more confident in the Sox chances with Cantu. Cantu is less than a year older than Fields. This could be a good deal for Fla and Fields as well. Fields may benefit from a change of scenery and maybe Florida could fix a few flaws and he will be good for them. I'm not confident that Walker is going to be able to get Fields to strike out less than once per game.