Who's the #2 hitter

Princess Dye

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Dec 13, 2008 -> 01:33 PM)
Obviously the roster isnt set yet, but what are we looking at as possibilities?

I cant even think of one option I halfway like, from where we stand right now.

You can add leadoff hitter to this mix as well. Good thing it's only mid-December.

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Dec 13, 2008 -> 01:38 PM)
Getz, Alexei, Beckham, Lillibridge. Take your pick.

I've seen very very little of Getz. Can he bunt?

If so, I'd like to see him get the chance. Alexei better not even be considered in the 2 hole because he's a 30 HR guy next year.

QUOTE (rockren @ Dec 13, 2008 -> 01:45 PM)
I've seen very very little of Getz. Can he bunt?

If so, I'd like to see him get the chance.

I would like to say that a speedy guy like him would have been taught to bunt in the minors, but we never really have any great bunters in our system..

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Dec 13, 2008 -> 03:33 PM)
Taveras is gonna be here though, no doubt.

Can anyone who really really knows a lot about Getz speak to what specific 2-slot skills he does/doesnt posess?

From what Ive read, hes good at alot, but not great at anything.

Average should be good, .280-.310 ish.

Pretty good eye, looking at an OBP about 60-80 pts higher than average.

Seems more of a doubles hitter, potentially 10-15 homers.

Good speed, 10-15 steals, but more of a 1st to third type speed.

Good fielding, one of his major pluses.

Nothing really that great but his defense, but good at basically everything. Think like Twins type of player. Hopefully he can contribute right away. His stats at AAA last year show good 1 or 2 hitter

if Getz winds up in the leadoff spot, then I think the ideal guy in the #2 spot is alexei. You may want someone who can bunt or whatever, but that's not the main thing I want to see out of the #2 spot. The main thing I want out of that spot is a guy who is going to put the ball in play, and Alexei does this. He has excellent bat control, and we've seen him use the whole field a lot. But most importantly, he's not going to strike out that much. Last year he struck out 61 times. In 2005, Iguchi struck out 115 times, in only about 50 more plate appearances.

If you get someone in front of him who gets on base, whether or not they're a speedster, having Alexei put the ball in play in the 2 spot gives that person an opportunity to move to 2nd or more. And hell, if the person can steal a base, and there's a deity hitting behind him, then that's going to set Alexei up to see a lot of fastballs and maybe make him even better.

QUOTE (Felix @ Dec 13, 2008 -> 05:03 PM)
Who cares about bunting? It's a stupid play designed to give outs away, which is not something we should be doing in front of our sluggers.

I agree thats it's better to put the ball in play behind the base runner but there have been several times the Sox needed to bunt a guy over and failed. Good bunters can also bunt their way on as an option if they arent comfortabe with a pitcher.

Point is it would be nice to have a guy in the lineup that can actually get a good bunt if they need him to it.

You just watched a 2008 White Sox team that was consistently getting guys on, yet was unable to bring them in, over and over again. In 2005 you had a White Sox team that was able to bunt guys over all the time and bring them into scoring position, making them a very successful team that could execute.

2005 Sacrifice hits- 53

2008 Sacrifice hits- 28

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Dec 13, 2008 -> 06:20 PM)
You just watched a 2008 White Sox team that was consistently getting guys on, yet was unable to bring them in, over and over again. In 2005 you had a White Sox team that was able to bunt guys over all the time and bring them into scoring position, making them a very successful team that could execute.

2005 Sacrifice hits- 53

2008 Sacrifice hits- 28

2005 Scored 741 runs,

2008 Scored 811 runs,

See the difference?

Our #2 hitter has been done with a lot of experimentation. Robin Ventura batted second in front of frank.. Joey Cora would foul off pitch after pitch until when they did whatever Joey would do frank got some great pitches to hit.. I think whoever bats second should be someone that runs up the count because TCQ is the #3 hitter and we all know what he can do with a good pitch. Getz bats left I would say if he can run up the pitch count he's our man........

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 13, 2008 -> 05:25 PM)
2005 Scored 741 runs,

2008 Scored 811 runs,

See the difference?

2005: 53 SH, 49 SF, 741 R

2006: 44 SH, 57 SF, 868 R

2008: 28 SH, 47 SF, 811 R

We had better balance in 2006, and that was the year Pods was hurt. Had he come close to replicating his '05 season we'd have been even better.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 13, 2008 -> 06:38 PM)
2005: 53 SH, 49 SF, 741 R

2006: 44 SH, 57 SF, 868 R

2008: 28 SH, 47 SF, 811 R

We had better balance in 2006, and that was the year Pods was hurt. Had he come close to replicating his '05 season we'd have been even better.

We also had peak offensive years from nearly everyone on the lineup.

QUOTE (Felix @ Dec 13, 2008 -> 05:03 PM)
Who cares about bunting? It's a stupid play designed to give outs away, which is not something we should be doing in front of our sluggers.

Yeah, a balanced team that bunts and plays good fundamental baseball doesn't win games. That's absurd!