Staples, What's It Like to Have Them Removed?

Texsox

I have 13 of them holding my midsection together and as I approach the time when they are to be removed, I am starting to get worried. Anyone have staples instead of stitches and how do they compare?

QUOTE (Texsox @ Mar 16, 2009 -> 10:43 PM)
I have 13 of them holding my midsection together and as I approach the time when they are to be removed, I am starting to get worried. Anyone have staples instead of stitches and how do they compare?

Doesn't hurt at all. Bulk of the pain might be a slight pinch.

QUOTE (CubKilla @ Mar 16, 2009 -> 10:46 PM)
Doesn't hurt at all. Bulk of the pain might be a slight pinch.

I was watching a few of the youtube videos and it seems a couple drunk guys can remove them without any problem :lolhitting

I'm starting to run out of painkillers, anyone have Rush's phone number?

QUOTE (Texsox @ Mar 16, 2009 -> 10:52 PM)
I was watching a few of the youtube videos and it seems a couple drunk guys can remove them without any problem :lolhitting

I'm starting to run out of painkillers, anyone have Rush's phone number?

I have plenty of those painkillers here. I'll send some. WOAH... just kidding, FBI, ATF, etc. etc. etc. :lol:

Getting staples out isn't bad. After those are out, your discomfort will rapidly disappear. You'll be surprised how much better you feel after they're gone.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Mar 17, 2009 -> 12:16 AM)
I have plenty of those painkillers here. I'll send some. WOAH... just kidding, FBI, ATF, etc. etc. etc. :lol:

Getting staples out isn't bad. After those are out, your discomfort will rapidly disappear. You'll be surprised how much better you feel after they're gone.

The bruising has steadily expanded until it covers an area about 4 inches high and 12-14 inches long. Not much discoloration at the incision. I can find a comfortable position and sit for a couple hours, but as soon as I stand up, it sucks. And I will not even go into details about the difficulties of personal hygiene.

I did just see the Family Guy with Peter selling butt scratchers at the ball park. In my best Peter Griffin voice "butt wipers" "butt wipers"

I was totally fooled when I felt great the day after, I was not expecting a three day slide from there. But I will be ready for the prime surf season, at least the non wet suit period.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Mar 17, 2009 -> 12:22 AM)
The bruising has steadily expanded until it covers an area about 4 inches high and 12-14 inches long. Not much discoloration at the incision. I can find a comfortable position and sit for a couple hours, but as soon as I stand up, it sucks. And I will not even go into details about the difficulties of personal hygiene.

I did just see the Family Guy with Peter selling butt scratchers at the ball park. In my best Peter Griffin voice "butt wipers" "butt wipers"

I was totally fooled when I felt great the day after, I was not expecting a three day slide from there. But I will be ready for the prime surf season, at least the non wet suit period.

"Butt scratcherrrrr! Butt scratcher!"

Let me put it this way...if the doctor or nurse is carrying one of those office staple removers and goes to put his/her foot on your midsection...you might want to start to worry.

I had like 7-8 in when I had ACL surgery....

All it was, was a little tool that crimped the middle downwards allowing the 2 prongs to release from the skin...i think it may be a little scarier to think of b/c we think of staples being crimped under on the 2 prongs, whereas skin staples are just straight

I now have had all the various methods of fusing skin back together and while each wound was different, the staples seemed to be the best overall. With glue, the tugging and discomfort seemed to last for weeks. With stitches, moving was far worse. The staples seemed to have some give.

But Kap was right, it is much more comfortable with them gone.

I am using the vicodin at night and Advil during the day to control pain. I get tired very easily, but hope to get some stuff done the next couple of days.

I put a warranty claim in to my mother, it seems as if this was probably present from birth.

A few years back, I thought my days were numbered. I've been reflecting on that and having the opportunity to feel this pain and discomfort is pretty cool.