Peavy Rejects Sox Offer; Deal Now Dead

rokimar

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 21, 2009 -> 10:41 AM)
I think Hudson could be very good in the future, but he still doesn't have overwhelming stuff to make me think he can be a stud. To me, he is more of the Twins type pitcher who succeeds with command and first-pitch strike and then in the majors does a solid, but not great job. I am all for giving him up, especially if it means we can keep Allen, Flowers, Danks and Beckham.

?

From what I've seen and read, he's got a very good fastball that sits in the 92-94 mph range with very good movement, and has a nasty slider as his out pitch. He's a power pitcher, not a finesse pitcher.

I agree that Garcia was not on that level, but our team was more dangerous then that it is at this point. Plus, you have to consider what Garcia did once he was here. Is Peavy a top 5 pitcher in the big boy league and going from the best pitchers park to the top 2-3 hitters park? He might still be, but that is a legitimate question

QUOTE (rangercal @ May 21, 2009 -> 10:42 AM)
Peavy is a top 5-10 starter in baseball. Freddy was never in that tier. I am going to have to disagree here.

Well that's a safe assumption from Bruuuucee. He did report though that the Peavy rumor questioning on wheter or not he could play for Ozzie was false.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 21, 2009 -> 10:43 AM)
?

From what I've seen and read, he's got a very good fastball that sits in the 92-94 mph range with very good movement, and has a nasty slider as his out pitch. He's a power pitcher, not a finesse pitcher.

Last year, according to BA, he was 88-92, so it's nice to see the improvement in velocity. But still at 92-94, I don't consider him a power pitcher. He has got a lot of Kevin Slowey in him, IMO.

http://thebaseballcube.com/players/S/Kevin-Slowey.shtml

Similar peripheral numbers.

I understand not wanting to play in the AL at one of the most premier launching pads in the sport, but playing for Coop and in a great city like Chicago would be enough for me. If he hates it, we can trade him to the Cubs for their entire team.

As some one else said, Peavy can always be traded back to the NL. The Padres probably are trying not to trade him at least in their division, if the he really hates the AL, the Sox could always try and send him to the Dodgers or Giants, teams with a lot of young talent but who the Padres probably wont deal with.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 21, 2009 -> 10:46 AM)
Last year, according to BA, he was 88-92, so it's nice to see the improvement in velocity. But still at 92-94, I don't consider him a power pitcher. He has got a lot of Kevin Slowey in him, IMO.

http://thebaseballcube.com/players/S/Kevin-Slowey.shtml

Similar peripheral numbers.

Hudson's K numbers in the minors have been much more impressive.

QUOTE (bschmaranz @ May 21, 2009 -> 11:49 AM)
Linebrink was just on the Score. Didn't really give you too much other then he talked to Jake last night.

Linebrink is such a hillbilly, hehe.

Peavy is a self-described Redneck so it makes sense.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 21, 2009 -> 10:48 AM)
As some one else said, Peavy can always be traded back to the NL. The Padres probably are trying not to trade him at least in their division, if the he really hates the AL, the Sox could always try and send him to the Dodgers or Giants, teams with a lot of young talent but who the Padres probably wont deal with.

If he truly respects the Pd's ownership and management team, then he has to do it, this is the best deal out there for them, we are probably one of the only teams willing to take on salary, and we arent in their league or division. Its a perfect storm for them.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 21, 2009 -> 10:50 AM)
Just woke up 5 minutes ago. I turn to ESPN news and see the Peavy breaking news. I almost croaked. I'm not about to read through 36 pages. Can somebody just answer me is the only obstacle in this trade being completed is Peavy agreeing to it?

That is the only obstacle.

just to update opinions in the media, they just played a clip on ESPN 1000 with Olney saying he'll think he'll reject it. He's expressed a desire to stay in the NL and doesn't think that will change... of course he tempered it with saying he could agree due to of being of tired of losing.

I imagine he or his agent will talk to the Pads and ask them what other possabilities are there. If the Pads say they won't just give him away and the Sox package is good and other teams aren't close he'll come. Again, I feel he rejects it, it's taking too long to agree to it.