Great Buehrle Article

joeynach

Hopefully he is BSing, because retiring at 32 wouldnt be good for the Sox. If he does decide to retire, more power to him! I'd love to be able to retire at 32. And he wants to raise his kids so, if I were him, I would retire.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 06:49 PM)
Did not notice that Mark was on-track for 300 wins.

i've noticed it.

especially since he's not a pitcher who relies on an overpowering fastball.

he could potentially be effective into his 40's.

although it's a long way away, if he stays healthy, i hope he tries for 300.

What an awesome article. I get the feeling he's being 100% honest about everything. I talked to Mark very briefly (how are ya? having a great year) about 6 years ago when he was signing balls, tickets, hats, etc. before a game. He just seems like a genuinely great guy. After reading the article I see him as a great pitcher and an even better family man.

Selfishly I think we'd all like to see him pitch quite a few more years and strive for that 300th win, which I think he can get. But, I wouldn't blame him one bit if he did retire.

The comparison to other great pitchers was a surprise to me. I didn't know he was that far ahead of the curve. Maybe it's the fact that he's not flashy (personality-wise or as a pitcher) that he's not thought of in the same vein as Johnson, Glavine, etc.

A good example of how much of a gentleman of the game he is was when he tipped his hat to Ichiro after Ichiro got his third hit off Mark in a game a few years ago. I remember him throwing a 50 mph curveball trying to fool Ichiro. When he didn't bite, MB just smiled and kept on pitching. Could you ever see Zambrano acting like that?

He won't retire when the contract offers come in... it's not often you can set up generations of your family financially by hanging around for a few more years in an occupation. At 32, he'll be in high demand, and hopefully extended, again, with the White Sox.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 8, 2009 -> 11:17 AM)
He won't retire when the contract offers come in... it's not often you can set up generations of your family financially by hanging around for a few more years in an occupation. At 32, he'll be in high demand, and hopefully extended, again, with the White Sox.

I'm inclined to believe this will be the result as well, but Mark does seem to be his own man and march to the beat of a different drummer. So, it wouldn't shock me too much if he did walk away.

I want him to pitch forever, of course, but I'd REALLY like it if he became the Sox all time leader in wins. I think Ted Lyons had 260.

If he wins 300 in a Cardinal uni, or retires beforehand, I won't be crushed. I'd like for him to hold virtually every pitching record in Sox history, though. Time for Jerry to pony up the private jet in the next deal, so he can head off to StL for a day or two between starts several times a season.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 8, 2009 -> 12:17 PM)

But how often do you get to see your son turn 1 year old?

Mark himself has said he's made plenty of cash and unlike most idiot athletes, he probably is very prudent with his money. I'm sure he has made all the arrangements for his family.

I want the guy to pitch until he's 40 in Chicago, but if he needs to spend more time watching his kids grow up then I have nothing but support and respect for that decision.

QUOTE (TitoMB345 @ Jul 8, 2009 -> 03:21 PM)
Buehrle is one of the greatest White Sox players of all time. I love this man!

I agree, but it says youre from WL, did/are you going to Purdue, I live across the river in Lafayette.