Best Kenny Williams moves ever

DaTank

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 04:51 PM)
Brandon McCarthy and David Paisano for John Danks, Nick Masset, and Jacob Rasner. Love me some Johnny Danks.

I admit that I was really pissed at the time of this deal. I couldn't believe he dealt BMAC.

I'd probably say Olivo, Morse, Reed for Sweaty Freddie and Davis. I thought he overpaid at the time (per usual) but that worked out mighty fine.

Ken Griffey Jr. for Danny Richar and Nick Massett. Although Griffey wasn't the Jr. of old, he was still big for the clubhouse as well as making a huge outfield assist in game 163, I believe. Always been my favorite player and it was a dream to finally see him in a Sox uniform. Best move not in the sense of most important or impacting, just my favorite.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 03:56 PM)
Thornton for Borchard is good because he was able to turn a nothing player into one of the best lefty set-up men in the league. That just doesn't happen that often.

I feel like this may actually be his best move.

He took a vastly overrated prospect who developed into a worthless player with power and dealt him for a flame-throwing lefty. Borchard is a a bust and was one when we dealt him and Thornton is one of the best setup men in the game.

My favorite move though I feel like is going to be this Rios one. I've always bashed him in the fantasy baseball world for getting praise of 30-30 and being ranked top 40 for it before the season but I've always liked his game. I find it funny anytime the Sox get a guy they magically are just an average guy with no excitement about the upside to these writers and such. Lord knows if Boston, or NY, or the Cubs claimed him this guy would not only be proclaimed a 5-tool 30/30 guy. He'd be a 7-tool 40-40 potential guy who plays gold glove defense.

Danks and Floyd I am always still torn on. If Quentin could stay healthy and prove last season wasn't a fluke - his is a great one. The list goes on but I just have a gut feeling about Rios.

My top 10, excluding extensions:

1. Jermaine Dye for 2 years, 10.15 million

2. Loaiza dealt for Jose Contreras

3. Loaiza on a minor league contract

4. Acquiring Bobby Jenks off waivers

5. Signing AJP to a 3 year deal

6. Gracia for Floyd

7. BMac for Danks

8. Olivo, Morse, Reed for Ben Davis and Freddy Garcia

9. Aaron Rowand and company for Jim Thome

10. The drafting and handling of one Gordon Beckham. Should be making it's way to number 1 soon enough.

Other favorites include Pods both times around, Borchard for Thorton, Aaron Miles for Juan Uribe, and getting Jurassic the 2nd time around (sure he was a terrible three hitter, but he was our terrible 3 hitter for a time on a World Championship team).

His worst:

1. Kip Wells, Sean Lowe, and Josh Fogg for Todd Ritchie

2. Ryan Sweeney, Gio Gonzalez and Fautino de los Santos for Nick Swisher

Off the top of my head, these would be the only two you could classify as very bad.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 04:12 PM)

6. Gracia for Floyd

7. BMac for Danks

10. The drafting and handling of one Gordon Beckham. Should be making it's way to number 1 soon enough.

Other favorites include Pods both times around, Borchard for Thorton, Aaron Miles for Juan Uribe, and getting Jurassic the 2nd time around (sure he was a terrible three hitter, but he was our terrible 3 hitter for a time on a World Championship team).

His worst:

Off the top of my head, these would be the only two you could classify as very bad.

How would you classify this as one of his worst? Sweeney is always hurt and does nothing when he isn't. DLS is hurt. Gio is still young and has some solid promise. Book's still open on this one though.

QUOTE (Pumpkin Escobar @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 04:09 PM)
I feel like this may actually be his best move.

He took a vastly overrated prospect who developed into a worthless player with power and dealt him for a flame-throwing lefty. Borchard is a a bust and was one when we dealt him and Thornton is one of the best setup men in the game.

My favorite move though I feel like is going to be this Rios one. I've always bashed him in the fantasy baseball world for getting praise of 30-30 and being ranked top 40 for it before the season but I've always liked his game. I find it funny anytime the Sox get a guy they magically are just an average guy with no excitement about the upside to these writers and such. Lord knows if Boston, or NY, or the Cubs claimed him this guy would not only be proclaimed a 5-tool 30/30 guy. He'd be a 7-tool 40-40 potential guy who plays gold glove defense.

Danks and Floyd I am always still torn on. If Quentin could stay healthy and prove last season wasn't a fluke - his is a great one. The list goes on but I just have a gut feeling about Rios.

You can't hit like TCQ did last year and be a fluke (since they test for roids now, anyway)

And Thorton was considered a failure of sorts too in Seattle, so at the time it was just a failed pick for a failed pick.

Really all his moves have either been awesome or just neutral. The Swisher move sucked, but is anyone dying for any of those 3 guys back?

-Floyd/Danks

-TCQ

-Dye/AJ/Iguchi/Pods and a ring

-Rios/Peavy hopefully.

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 10:16 PM)
How would you classify this as one of his worst? Sweeney is always hurt and does nothing when he isn't. DLS is hurt. Gio is still young and has some solid promise. Book's still open on this one though.

It qualifies as one of his worst because KW, quite frankly, doesn't have too many "worsts". I'm not losing any sleep over what we gave up, but Swisher was still a major failure here.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 04:12 PM)

6. Gracia for Floyd

7. BMac for Danks

His worst:

Jermaine signing is my favorite. Geoff Blum for Ryan Meaux is second. Royce Ring, Andrew Salvo and Edwin Almonte for Robbie Alomar and cash is third.

And I don't think you can call the Swisher trade as bad just yet. Not until Sweeney, Gonzalez or de los Santos do something worthy.