Garfien: Sox made serious play for Halladay

IamPabloOzuna

http://www.csnchicago.com/pages/soxdrawer

"Williams admitted that the Sox were close to acquiring a big-time player this off-season (a player other than Johnny Damon). Pressed about who it was, Kenny first said, 'I don’t think I should go down that road.'

Was it a pitcher?

Williams paused. Paused again. And then made the most profound statement of 2010:

'It may have given us a chance to have the best rotation maybe in the history of the game.'"

what might have been...

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (knightni @ Feb 22, 2010 -> 06:50 PM)
Danks or Floyd would have been gone if we got Halladay.

Absolutely, people need to keep that in mind here. They'd have probably had to given up Danks or Floyd AND Hudson to get Halladay. Still, Halladay/Buehrle/Peavy/Floyd or Danks/Garcia would be epic. Then again, maybe the fact they'd have had to have given up that much is the reason Roy isn't here.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 22, 2010 -> 05:53 PM)
That doesn't seem to be what he was implying.

I have a feeling it was Cliff Lee though, instead of Halladay.

If you watch the video, kenny pretty much gives it up that it was Halladay. Plus Garfien was just on Chicago Tribune Live and said it was Halladay.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 22, 2010 -> 06:00 PM)
If Danks or Floyd isn't part of that trade, Gordon Beckham probably is (and I'd bet Dan Hudson is too.)

Just seems to me that the best 5-man rotation in baseball history would not include Freddy Garcia, and replace Danks or Floyd with Halladay. Seems more like it would have been Halladay replacing Garcia.

I love his aggressivness towards starting pitching. However, I wish he would direct some of that aggressive behaivor towards aqcuirering a lefty power hitter. Although KW did mention "There is something we don't see right now, you can bank on that- there is something thats going to happen that we don't see right now, so try to insulate yourself, because its going to happen"

I wonder what he means by this? Is there a trade in the works for that lefty hitter? Was he just talking about a mid-season deal? He looked smirky. .

Check out the video and you can decide yourself.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...sp&c_id=cws

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Feb 22, 2010 -> 06:06 PM)
I love his aggressivness towards starting pitching. However, I wish he would direct some of that aggressive behaivor towards aqcuirering a lefty power hitter. Although KW did mention "There is something we don't see right now, you can bank on that- there is something thats going to happen that we don't see right now, so try to insulate yourself, because its going to happen"

I wonder what he means by this? Is there a trade in the works for that lefty hitter? Was he just talking about a mid-season deal? He looked smirky. .

I think he is saying that there is a deal that will happen in the future that isn't apparent right now because the circumstances which will cause it to occur have not occurred yet themselves.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 22, 2010 -> 06:11 PM)
I think he is saying that there is a deal that will happen in the future that isn't apparent right now because the circumstances which will cause it to occur have not occurred yet themselves.

thats what i was thinking as well. . pretty much if were in it come the midway point, i can see him aqcuirering another big fish. .

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Feb 22, 2010 -> 07:06 PM)

Check out the video and you can decide yourself.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...sp&c_id=cws

Wow, watching that clip of Peavy/Buehrle/Floyd all throwing and laughing made me pretty giddy.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Feb 22, 2010 -> 05:48 PM)
HOLY CRAP.

If we had Buehrle, Danks, Flloyd, Peavy, Halladay....anyone else get wood!!

Kind of reminds me of the 68" White Sox. They had a team era (INCLUDING THE BULLPEN) of 2.53. Still didn't win the pennant because of the lineup. Don't get me wrong, if everyone does what they are supposed to....especially Rios, Quentin, Jones, it will without a doubt add some punch to our lineup. So.....granted....we do have a chance to do something special this year.............but all of the pieces do have to fall in place.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 22, 2010 -> 07:01 PM)
Just seems to me that the best 5-man rotation in baseball history would not include Freddy Garcia, and replace Danks or Floyd with Halladay. Seems more like it would have been Halladay replacing Garcia.

Only way you get Halladay without giving up Floyd or Danks is by trading Beckham, and I just don't think they'd have done that.