Haircuts

Texsox

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Nov 1, 2010 -> 03:27 PM)
Find a new place Tex.

http://www.knockouts.net/

LOL, ironic since I am pretty certain that my current stylist is gay. Tip off #1, if he was straight he would be a barber. Tip off #2 he would not have nearly as good advice on vacation spots, restaurants, and clothes. :lolhitting

Broke down and visited a local shop, took my chances, and I would rate the cut as a B-

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Nov 1, 2010 -> 08:45 PM)
I actually never went to a barber in my life, so I'm not sure if it's different at barbershops, but I usually go to places like SuperCuts where I can go in as a walk-in, get a quick buzzcut, and be out in just 5 minutes.

Usually at places like SuperCuts, they just take your name and serve you right away if there's no one else waiting ahead of you.

There were times when I tried to go to the haircut places that's just a walking distance from my house, and they take your name as well and you have to sit down while they sweep off the haircut area. Usually I find places like salons to be understaffed and they take forever to give people haircuts and because of that it gives the people who called in for an appointment too much time to beat the clock instead of serving me first.

I'm not sure if it's a generational thing, but even if I wanted to, calling in for an appointment would be too much of a hassle for me. I'm just part of the "fast food culture" that's used to being able to walk in anyplace and getting served right away. To me, calling in for an appointment is kind of an outdated custom, kind of like writing checks at supermarkets.

Plus, calling in for an appointment is too restrictive on my time. I like to keep my schedule spontaneous enough to allow for me to be able to stop at other stores on the way to the haircut place on a whim, rather than being committed to a scheduled appointment.

So that's why I go to a SuperCuts about 6 miles from my house, and other random SuperCuts in other neighborhoods (to see what hot girls work there), because I get served right away as a walk-in instead of going to one of the two haircut places that I can walk to from my house.

Some places do appointments from their website now.

QUOTE (3E8 @ Nov 1, 2010 -> 02:55 PM)
Do you guys close your eyes when they are washing your hair

Absolutely.

I think finding a good person to cut your hair is one of the tougher things to do. I'm always nervous going to a new place, but once I find someone I like, I won't go to anyone else.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Nov 2, 2010 -> 04:02 PM)
Absolutely.

I think finding a good person to cut your hair is one of the tougher things to do. I'm always nervous going to a new place, but once I find someone I like, I won't go to anyone else.

Exactly how I am.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Nov 2, 2010 -> 05:02 PM)
Absolutely.

Same. Had the same guy for about two years.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Nov 2, 2010 -> 10:24 PM)
Black people usually have to go to black barbers to get specific styles or because of the different texture of it... my hair is fine like a non-black person's butt, I still have to go to a black barber to get it cut a certain way.

wtf? :lolhitting

I need a haircut.

I've been going to my barber ever since I can remember. However, he has been cutting back on his hours the past couple years and its hard to find a good time to go so I've been looking for a good alternative for a while now. I've tried a few different places... I don't like franchise places too much.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Nov 2, 2010 -> 10:24 PM)
Black people usually have to go to black barbers to get specific styles or because of the different texture of it... my hair is fine like a non-black person's butI still have to go to a black barber to get it cut a certain way.

Funny story. One of my friends did Jesuit Volunteer corps for a year. He worked in Manahtten, but lived in Bed Stuy. Now, this kid is whiter than white--he actually still wears his monogrammed LL Bean backpack. So, he needs a haircut and decides to go to the corner barbershop. He walks in sits down and the barber looks at him for 10 minutes. Picks up scissors, puts them down again, looks at Will, picks up the scissors, puts them down. Finally he says, son, I do not know how to cut your hair. I think you'll need to go somewhere else. And so all year he had to go and get his hair cut far away from where he lived.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 6, 2010 -> 08:11 PM)
Bedford Stuy? Did he ride his motorcycle in the rain too?

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 6, 2010 -> 08:43 PM)
:notworthy a tip of the Billy Joel hat to you.

Must be an old people thing because I don't get it. . . :unsure:

I've been going to the same place for about 10 years now. It's a barber shop, and they do a good job with my hair (it's like steel wool).

Funny side story: I started going there about a year after I got married. After having gone there a few times I mentioned the name of the place to my wife and she said her cousin had the same last name. Turns out her cousin's father in-law is the owner. And no, I don't get a family discount. <_>

QUOTE (Soxy @ Nov 8, 2010 -> 03:49 PM)
Must be an old people thing because I don't get it. . . :unsure:

I was stranded in the combat zone

I walked through Bedford Stuy alone

Even rode my motorcycle in the rain

And you told me not to drive

But I made it home alive

So you said that only proves that I'm insane

-- You May Be Right, Billy Joel

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 8, 2010 -> 05:29 PM)
I knew what you were talking about.

Billy Joel is one of the greatest "every-man" singers of the last 40 years.

I have a feeling Soxy caught the reference as well but didn't wan to admit it for fear of being lumped in with the Old Farts. :D