2011 TV Thread

Kyyle23

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 10, 2011 -> 08:57 PM)
I think the only reason I watch Dexter anymore is to simply finish the series. It's so formulaic and unoriginal anymore.

I haven't watched this week's yet, but the premiere for season 6 was complete s*** and came off more like a Dexter spoof than a new episode of Dexter... as stated previously.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Oct 10, 2011 -> 09:41 PM)
In response to me saying that Hector will get his eventually.....

Hector had gotten his already. Actually, Walt allowing Hector to get his revenge on Gus winds up with Hector coming out on top. The old man could do nothing but stare at the wall all day, and he winds up getting to pull the trigger on the man who took down his entire organization.

That was the opposite of Hector "getting his".

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 10, 2011 -> 10:27 PM)
After marathoning Mad Men in the last two weeks, I think the biggest thing I take from the show is how much of a b**** and a child Betty Draper is.

Welcome to Planet Obvious. You've arrived quite late but there still might be some discussion going on by the water cooler.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Oct 11, 2011 -> 12:24 AM)
MY PREDICTION was that Hector was going to get his eventually, you said No, I was wrong, he was not going to hurt kill him. And guess what.....I WAS RIGHT, YOU WERE WRONG.

But, ummm, dude. You remain wrong and clearly have no grasp of what you just watched. Hector "pulling the trigger" on Gus was the absolute best scenario for him. His awful life ends (by his choosing) while he takes out his biggest enemy.

That's not Hector getting his... it's Hector absolutely winning by taking Gus down.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 13, 2011 -> 09:35 AM)
A couple of things. I'm sure Gus will be back a few times in flashback form. They made the season finale also work as a series finale on purpose, as they weren't sure they were going to be brought back because of the negotiations with AMC.

I completely agree with your sentiment on losing the character of Gus. I grew to absolutely love that character. I was on my feet when the explosion happened, but I knew I'd miss that antagonist.

I'm at the point now that I'm not rooting for Walt anymore. I want him to continue to further to plot, obviously, but I'm definitely rooting for Hank to take him down and for Jesse to be the one to walk away unscathed.

Yeah, they could have ended the series there and I would have been content with it, no doubt. Hopefully the bar hasn't been raised to high for the final 16 episodes because it is going to be really hard to top what just happened.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Oct 11, 2011 -> 01:15 AM)
Yes, "get his" as, "kill him". My guess was that Hector would eventually "be killed by Gus". And you said you didn't think he would. And in the end, I was right, and you were wrong.

What in the f***ing f***? Hector killed Gus, not the other way around... Gus only went to end Hector's s***-ass existence because of the plan set forth by Walt that was superseded by Hector... killing Walt.

You clearly don't pay any attention to BB.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 13, 2011 -> 09:49 AM)
But, ummm, dude. You remain wrong and clearly have no grasp of what you just watched. Hector "pulling the trigger" on Gus was the absolute best scenario for him. His awful life ends (by his choosing) while he takes out his biggest enemy.

That's not Hector getting his... it's Hector absolutely winning by taking Gus down.

I had the feeling earlier that even with his whole cartel gone, that Hector wasn't done. Talk about incredible acting on top of great writing. That dude deserves an emmy.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 11, 2011 -> 10:02 PM)
How is Unser not everyone's favorite SOA character? You know this is just going to lead to his death, but he's selfless in about every situation I can recall.

Jax smashing that slut's face in was pretty wild. Clay is evil as s***.

Oh yeah, Steve can now participate in his favorite thread bc he finally watched BB.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 13, 2011 -> 09:50 AM)
Yeah, they could have ended the series there and I would have been content with it, no doubt. Hopefully the bar hasn't been raised to high for the final 16 episodes because it is going to be really hard to top what just happened.

I agree, but they've gotten better and better every season. They can do it. And there's plenty of drama still to be found between Hank and Heisenberg, Walt and Hank, Jesse and Walt, and the likely return of Mike.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 13, 2011 -> 09:51 AM)
I had the feeling earlier that even with his whole cartel gone, that Hector wasn't done. Talk about incredible acting on top of great writing. That dude deserves an emmy.

It sucks so much that Breaking Bad wasn't released early enough for the Emmy's. Hopefully that means that they'll be eligible for the 2012 show because both Giancarlo Esposito (Gus) and Mark Margolis (Hector) deserve nods. Esposito probably deserves to win flat-out, but Margolis did more while not saying a word than I can ever imagine.

Edited by Milkman delivers

i think you guys have buried Dexter too early. I am interested in seeing how he struggles to understand religion, and I think EJO and Colin Hanks look to be some sick individuals with perverse interpretations of their own religion. The relationship between them is pretty crazy, the end scene in episode two was out there.

Brian, you called Deb getting Lieutenant out of the box, nice call.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 13, 2011 -> 09:36 AM)
So better TV villan... Gus from Bad, or Ben from LOST.

Ben seemed evil for the sake of being evil, while Gus just wants to run his empire.

I submit Walt as a bigger villain than Gus, anyway.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 13, 2011 -> 09:55 AM)
Jax smashing that slut's face in was pretty wild. Clay is evil as s***.

Oh yeah, Steve can now participate in his favorite thread bc he finally watched BB.

Yeah, Clay has finally left the realm of "understandably" evil into actual evil. That is, unless they pull some ridiculous plot out of their asses to make him seem good, like this whole thing was a set-up against the Cartel. Seems unlikely due to the events thus far, but that show isn't exactly the most plausible or well-written. They seem to make a lot of stuff up at the perfectly convenient time. I still like it. Don't get me wrong, but they could be a lot better.

I like how Bobby is seeing right through Clay and his continual empty promises.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 13, 2011 -> 09:59 AM)
I agree, but they've gotten better and better every season. They can do it. And there's plenty of drama still to be found between Hank and Heisenberg, Walt and Hank, Jesse and Walt, and the likely return of Mike.

There are some angles out there for sure. What happens to Walt at the end has to be #1.

Does Jesse kill him?

Does Hank take him down?

Does Mike kill him?

Does he kill himself somehow?

Does Hank take down the ring but somehow miss/let go Hank?

Heck you could get into something crazy like Brock's mom whacking Walt after finding out about the poison by accident.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 13, 2011 -> 10:02 AM)
It sucks so much that Breaking Bad wasn't released early enough for the Emmy's. Hopefully that means that they'll be eligible for the 2012 show because both Giancarlo Esposito (Gus) and Mark Margolis (Hector) deserve nods. Esposito probably deserves to win flat-out, but Margolis did more while not saying a word than I can ever imagine.

Both were just awesome.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 13, 2011 -> 10:05 AM)
Ben seemed evil for the sake of being evil, while Gus just wants to run his empire.

I submit Walt as a bigger villain than Gus, anyway.

Ben was incredible because he would get so far down at points, you actually felt sorry for him. Then he would just crush someone totally unexpectedly, and even unneededly. I think that is what sets him apart from Gus who it is just a business for. With Ben it was personal.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 13, 2011 -> 10:04 AM)
i think you guys have buried Dexter too early. I am interested in seeing how he struggles to understand religion, and I think EJO and Colin Hanks look to be some sick individuals with perverse interpretations of their own religion. The relationship between them is pretty crazy, the end scene in episode two was out there.

Brian, you called Deb getting Lieutenant out of the box, nice call.

I don't think it's too early. The fact is that every season of Dexter since the second has steadily gotten worse. Season four wasn't actually good except for John Lithgow completely carrying it (even though his performance made it my favorite season, if that makes any sense).

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 13, 2011 -> 10:05 AM)
Yeah, Clay has finally left the realm of "understandably" evil into actual evil. That is, unless they pull some ridiculous plot out of their asses to make him seem good, like this whole thing was a set-up against the Cartel. Seems unlikely due to the events thus far, but that show isn't exactly the most plausible or well-written. They seem to make a lot of stuff up at the perfectly convenient time. I still like it. Don't get me wrong, but they could be a lot better.

I like how Bobby is seeing right through Clay and his continual empty promises.

Seriously, what in the f*** is wrong with Clay? How about talk some s*** out for crying out loud??

Jax just wants out, he doesn't want to destroy the club! But no, let's kill the mother of your old lady's grandchild? I think Clay putting the hit on Tara has surpassed the realm of belief.

Obviously, the show rocks, but now either Clay needs to go down or the show has to end, one of the two. Do we have a legitimate final season? I'd like this show to rock for a long time, but that's not going to happen with Clay around, and with Jax leaving there won't be enough leads to keep it going.

C'est la vie, I guess.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 13, 2011 -> 10:05 AM)
There are some angles out there for sure. What happens to Walt at the end has to be #1.

Does Jesse kill him?

Does Hank take him down?

Does Mike kill him?

Does he kill himself somehow?

Does Hank take down the ring but somehow miss/let go Hank?

Heck you could get into something crazy like Brock's mom whacking Walt after finding out about the poison by accident.

That is the only one that I will say is (considering the plot so far and character histories and motivations) probably not going to happen. I think a lot of people believe Mike is going to come back with guns blazing. Mike is a family man and he's in this job for the money. He was loyal to Gus because that's how his bread was buttered. I see no reason whatsoever that he won't jump on Walt's bandwagon anymore as long as Walt would want him. And why wouldn't Walt want him? He and Walt have seemed to have a pseudo-friendship where they both understand that this is simply a business. Even when Mike was supposed to kill him, he was as civil as can be about it. Walt understood this and didn't hold it against Mike (even trying to turn him at one point), he just did what he had to do to keep himself alive by killing Gale. Their relationship after this is even somehow still amicable. Walt continued to have interactions with Mike, if you recall him calling Mike several times during the season to try to get an idea of what Gus was up to. Mike wouldn't give him much information, as that would be unwise with Gus' past actions, but he was always calm and sort of reassuring.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 13, 2011 -> 10:12 AM)
Seriously, what in the f*** is wrong with Clay? How about talk some s*** out for crying out loud??

Jax just wants out, he doesn't want to destroy the club! But no, let's kill the mother of your old lady's grandchild? I think Clay putting the hit on Tara has surpassed the realm of belief.

Obviously, the show rocks, but now either Clay needs to go down or the show has to end, one of the two. Do we have a legitimate final season? I'd like this show to rock for a long time, but that's not going to happen with Clay around, and with Jax leaving there won't be enough leads to keep it going.

C'est la vie, I guess.

And yes, I realize that Jax has yet to find out about Clay/Gemma putting the hit on his old man, but I think the allegiance would lie with his mother of old man Teller. Maybe I'm nuts.

Just talk to Tara.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 13, 2011 -> 10:12 AM)

C'est la vie, I guess.

I think it's understandable why Clay would want Tara out of the picture. She has incredibly damning evidence against Clay and Gemma. If she's taken out in an "accident", the only person that would truly know that it wasn't an accident would be Gemma. And in Clay's mind, what is Gemma going to do at that point? She'd stick with her husband and not tell her son about the intrigue both past and present. But knowing this show and the way that Gemma is forced down our throats, she would become the hero of the show somehow and save Tara/get Clay killed.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 13, 2011 -> 10:17 AM)
That is the only one that I will say is (considering the plot so far and character histories and motivations) probably not going to happen. I think a lot of people believe Mike is going to come back with guns blazing. Mike is a family man and he's in this job for the money. He was loyal to Gus because that's how his bread was buttered. I see no reason whatsoever that he won't jump on Walt's bandwagon anymore as long as Walt would want him. And why wouldn't Walt want him? He and Walt have seemed to have a pseudo-friendship where they both understand that this is simply a business. Even when Mike was supposed to kill him, he was as civil as can be about it. Walt understood this and didn't hold it against Mike (even trying to turn him at one point), he just did what he had to do to keep himself alive by killing Gale. Their relationship after this is even somehow still amicable. Walt continued to have interactions with Mike, if you recall him calling Mike several times during the season to try to get an idea of what Gus was up to. Mike wouldn't give him much information, as that would be unwise with Gus' past actions, but he was always calm and sort of reassuring.

I also think Mike would have no problem saddling up next to Walt, but that all depends on whether Jessie finds out Walt poisoned the kid. I'd have to imagine Walt would get rid of that plant swiftly, and I don't see that getting back to him (especially since the kid lived, so there's no possibility of Walt feeling guilt over the situation).

I don't see Mike as a big player moving forward. I have to imagine season 5a and 5b will be about Walt realizing he still likes money, his cancer coming out of remission, and Hank busting him.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 13, 2011 -> 10:10 AM)
I don't think it's too early. The fact is that every season of Dexter since the second has steadily gotten worse. Season four wasn't actually good except for John Lithgow completely carrying it (even though his performance made it my favorite season, if that makes any sense).

This is pretty much how everyone characterizes every show. "The first season was the best, except for that one season in the middle which was awesome". We have had this argument before, and you seem to turn on all of the shows you watch, I have seen it with Sunny, SOA, and BB. You start to pick at different aspects and characters. Eventually every show comes full circle and retreads old ground.

Dexter is what it is, I dont know what you want to change to make it something better. Each season Dexter explores different aspects of his dark passenger and how he fits in the rest of the world.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 13, 2011 -> 10:24 AM)
I also think Mike would have no problem saddling up next to Walt, but that all depends on whether Jessie finds out Walt poisoned the kid. I'd have to imagine Walt would get rid of that plant swiftly, and I don't see that getting back to him (especially since the kid lived, so there's no possibility of Walt feeling guilt over the situation).

I don't see Mike as a big player moving forward. I have to imagine season 5a and 5b will be about Walt realizing he still likes money, his cancer coming out of remission, and Hank busting him.

Damn, how did I forget about Walt's cancer when I made the endings list :bang

Anyways, I could see a scenario emerge where Mike has to choose between Jesse and Walt, and him going with Jesse. After all Jesse knows the business, and he seems to be able to trust Jesse more than Walt. Walt is freaking crazy. Mike seemed to like the stability that went with Gus, and I don't think there is any question that Jesse is much more stable. Also you can't help but expect the cartel to re-emerge at some point. I know that inner-circle got Gus'd, but they have to come looking for the meth business eventually. There could be a end game in there too.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 13, 2011 -> 10:24 AM)

I completely agree with the bold part, but I do think Mike will play a relatively large role. Walt is going to need enforcers, and Mike is the guy with all of the pull for that sort of thing that he knows.

And I don't think Jesse will ever find out about Walt's guilt with the child or his ex-girlfriend. I believe those things are there simply to show us that Walt is no longer a good guy. They'll also conveniently add tenseness to the plot for the viewers because we know about it and wonder if Jesse might just figure it out, but basically the only way that Jesse would find out that it was Walt would be if Walt admitted it. And I think we can all agree, barring a deathbed confession, that Walt isn't just going to tell him.