What do you think of my nerdy sim league baseball team?

TomPickle

This is baseball related, but not really so I figured I'd be best off posting it here and if no one replies/cares then no big deal.

Another forum I post on had the idea to put together a sim league using Out of the Park Baseball with 30 teams controlled by actual people. It started with a 20 round fantasy draft of everyone in the MLB with 130 ABs or 50 IP (players who were free agents as of October 2nd were not draft eligible) and a subsequent minor league draft for any player that did not meet the requirements for the MLB player draft. The minor league draft is currently ongoing, but it's 12th round so most every notable prospect has been taken. After the major league draft was complete free agency began but it will be ongoing until sometime in March when 40 man rosters have to be set. The salary cap is $140 million which everyone realized was way too damn high and it's going to be reduced somewhat significantly if we make it to a second year of the league.

Both the major and minor league drafts were snake format and I had the 22nd pick in the first round of the major league draft and the 4th pick in the minor league draft. I can post my exact draft order later if anyone cares, but for right now I'm just going to post my nearly complete.

C: Ryan Hanigan

1B: Luke Scott

2B: Maicer Izturis

SS: Alexei Ramirez

3B: Kevin Kouzmanoff

LF: Josh Willingham

CF: Ryan Sweeney

RF: Mike Stanton

DH: Adam Dunn (FA signing 4 years/$71 M)

Bench: Michael Saunders (I'll move him to AAA if I can sign a decent 4th OF), Jeff Mathis (Undrafted FA 1 year/1.1 M)

SP: Adam Wainwright

SP: John Danks

SP: Ricky Nolasco

SP: Jake Westbrook (FA signing 2 years/$22 M)

SP: Tim Stauffer

LR: Brad Bergesen

RP: Manny Acosta

RP: Alberto Arias

RP: Robinson Tejada

RP: J.P. Howell

RP: Matt Thornton

I'm one of two or three teams in on Rafael Soriano as well.

Minors (overall pick number):

4. Dustin Ackley, 2B (Mariners)

56. Manny Machado, SS (Orioles)

65. Alex White, SP (Indians)

116. Brent Morel, 3B (White Sox)

125. Alex Colome, SP (Rays)

176. Asher Wojciechowski, SP (Blue Jays)

185. Louis Coleman, RP (Royals)

236. Kyle Parker, OF (Rockies)

245. Alex Cobb, SP (Rays)

296. Max Stassi, C (A's)

305. Rex Brothers, RP/SP (Rockies)

So any critiques, pointers, or just overall thoughts would be appreciated. If there are any sleeper or under-the-radar type prospects that you like I'd love to get some insight on that as well.

Its impossible to tell without studying the entire league and seeing how the relative ratings work. Even then you would have to wait a season or two to see how the actual settings were (home run heavy, etc).

That being said, ask 2 different people and youll get 2 different answers.

OOTP is weird because development can change things so that the game doesn't represent real MLB. I can make a sure real MLB star into a journeyman, but make a stiff that never made it out of the minors into an All-Star.

If you screen capture player ratings and post them, that would give people a better idea of what you really have.

IMHO OOTP isn't even worth playing if it's not 6.5

It's like they keep trying to improve on something that was already perfect. Like everyone else said, without seeing the ratings (i preferred 1-100 rather than 1-10 when I played), there's no way to give an opinion. I haven't looked at a league in awhile, have they fixed Mark Prior being an absolute beast in every league yet?

QUOTE (chwhtsox @ Jan 3, 2011 -> 07:41 PM)
IMHO OOTP isn't even worth playing if it's not 6.5

It's like they keep trying to improve on something that was already perfect. Like everyone else said, without seeing the ratings (i preferred 1-100 rather than 1-10 when I played), there's no way to give an opinion. I haven't looked at a league in awhile, have they fixed Mark Prior being an absolute beast in every league yet?

There is so much wrong with this post.

1) 6.5 was great, but far from perfect. Recent versions of the game have been better (improved game engine, better development, more realistic progressions). That being said, I've bought it yearly since OOTP 6 and have no intentions of buying another version anytime soon, as their dev team is one of the worst around.

2) 1-100 ratings are for noobs that want things spelled out for them. 1-10 is better, 2-8 is best.

3) That Mark Prior thing can't be serious, can it? He was once a great pitcher so he was rated as a beast. Now he's a fringe player, so he's rated as a fringe player. What do you expect it to do?

You were right about one thing, though. It's tough to say how good a team is without seeing the ratings. So congrats! You're 1/4.. still doing better than Mark Kotsay.

We're going to be updating to the newest OOTP each year so it will keep things at least closer to the actual goings-on in MLB. I've never played Out of the Park and it's not a requirement to get it so I doubt I will be.

The league is going to pretty much be in lock step with what happens in MLB in terms of timeline (other than maybe rushing through spring training a little this season because we got off to a late start) with the first year player draft taking place after the end of the year so we're not drafting guys that don't end up signing.

QUOTE (Felix @ Jan 3, 2011 -> 07:55 PM)
There is so much wrong with this post.

1) 6.5 was great, but far from perfect. Recent versions of the game have been better (improved game engine, better development, more realistic progressions). That being said, I've bought it yearly since OOTP 6 and have no intentions of buying another version anytime soon, as their dev team is one of the worst around.

2) 1-100 ratings are for noobs that want things spelled out for them. 1-10 is better, 2-8 is best.

3) That Mark Prior thing can't be serious, can it? He was once a great pitcher so he was rated as a beast. Now he's a fringe player, so he's rated as a fringe player. What do you expect it to do?

You were right about one thing, though. It's tough to say how good a team is without seeing the ratings. So congrats! You're 1/4.. still doing better than Mark Kotsay.

There is so much wrong with my post? There's so much wrong with your passion for a simulated baseball game. Relax, champ.

1) 6.5 was perfect for me, I enjoyed it.

2) fine, I'm a noob, I was never able to go professional and I'm still upset about that.

3) the Mark Prior statement was a joke.

That would put me at 2/4, I'll take .500

I like 6.5 as well. The other versions have more bells and whistles, but 6.5 works fine for me.

1-10 allows for more mystery and is easier to calculate than 1-100, but either is fine. I've never used 2-8, but I guess it could be good as well.

. . .

First of all, since you (Tom) haven't played OOTP before, you'll find that it is almost impossible to stay "lock-step" with MLB because of OOTP's randomness.

Secondly, if you wait until after the season to draft, you run the risk of your drafted players' development being stunted in your minors.

Thirdly, if you're not using actual players on their actual rosters, how is it truly "lock-step"?

Lastly, if your commish is deciding to play games day by day and do transactions day by day, I can forsee a burn out by members by the All-Star break. It's way too much work and can get extremely tedious.

QUOTE (TomPickle @ Jan 3, 2011 -> 09:50 PM)
Lock-step in terms that our league will move at the same pace as the actual MLB.

Perhaps I'm using the term improperly.

See my last point. If it moves that slowly, you will get a lot of bored owners.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 3, 2011 -> 08:58 PM)
See my last point. If it moves that slowly, you will get a lot of bored owners.

I agree, the most active league I've ever been a part of use to sim 10-15 games three to four times a week.

QUOTE (chwhtsox @ Jan 3, 2011 -> 10:02 PM)
I agree, the most active league I've ever been a part of use to sim 10-15 games three to four times a week.

Also, people and commishes have real lives, so you're not going to get 31 guys/gals to be available every night for transactions and simming.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 4, 2011 -> 10:41 AM)
Was it really 6 years ago?

As for Mark Prior being dominant, he had nothing on Can O' Corn

Yeah, the joke behind the Prior comment is that back when I played, every roster that came out, years after he was good (turned dog s***) he was rated as an absolute beast.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 4, 2011 -> 01:45 AM)
Its impossible to tell without studying the entire league and seeing how the relative ratings work. Even then you would have to wait a season or two to see how the actual settings were (home run heavy, etc).

That being said, ask 2 different people and youll get 2 different answers.

agreed

• 4 weeks later...

Using ZiPS projections:

Lineup:

hxtn0.png

I had to move around some IP to get to 1420 total IP (accounting for some road losses).

Starters:

Adam Wainwright: 214 IP, 2.85 ERA = 68 runs

John Danks: 200 IP, 3.82 ERA = 85 runs

Ricky Nolasco: 188 IP, 3.78 ERA = 79 runs

Jake Westbrook: 183 IP, 4.11 ERA = 84

Tim Stauffer: 182 IP, 4.16 = 84 runs

Relievers:

Brad Bergesen: 100 IP, 5.09 ERA = 57 runs

Louis Coleman: 68 IP, 3.97 ERA = 30 runs

Alberto Arias: 55 IP, 4.12 ERA = 25 runs

Robinson Tejada: 59 IP, 3.66 ERA = 24 runs

J.P. Howell: 61 IP, 3.12 ERA = 21 runs