*Official* Work Out Thread

maggsmaggs

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Reddy @ Dec 21, 2012 -> 08:12 AM)
Really? I didn't know that.

That's a super useful bit of information. Interesting...

Yes. If you only concentric (positive work) activity, there will be minimal to no soreness however, the mass and strength gains will also come much slower.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 21, 2012 -> 05:58 PM)
Im sure im not the only one that has had to wiggle out from under a barbell on the bench.

I got a little too ambitious with my bench the other week. I laid there saying "help?" for almost a minute before someone came over. :lol:

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 21, 2012 -> 04:58 PM)
Im sure im not the only one that has had to wiggle out from under a barbell on the bench.

Oh ya, definitely been there. It's never happened to me at a public gym but it has happened to me on more than one occasion on the bench I had at my old house.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 21, 2012 -> 04:58 PM)

I had a patient once who dropped one on the bridge of her nose and it shattered most of her facial bones. She had to have reconstructive surgery.

So people do need to be careful.

Edited by ptatc

• 2 weeks later...

Just looked at my spring semester schedule and I appreciate 2012 more and more. I had so much free time and I took advantage of it. Hitting the weights and doing more cardio has given me a more proportionate look but it came at a price.

One unrecognized value of training the way I did is the discipline I applied to myself. I'll use that to help stay focused and not make any excuses.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 1, 2013 -> 01:19 PM)
fitness related goals for 2013?

Work out 260 days this year. Average of 5 days a week. A hour a day. The funny thing? That's only 3% of my time. EZ.

Dunk a basketball. Unrelated to that, I'm going to cut down about 15 lbs over the next 3 months here and then go from there.

Edited by Rowand44

My total weight loss in 2012 was 38 pounds. Really happy with that. Since losing all the extra fat, I've stabilized at 203.5 for the last month or so and come in to 2013 at 202 on the dot.

My goal is to maintain a weight between 195 and 205 and take the next step into really cutting into my body fat % and getting continually leaner.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 3, 2013 -> 04:09 PM)
My total weight loss in 2012 was 38 pounds. Really happy with that. Since losing all the extra fat, I've stabilized at 203.5 for the last month or so and come in to 2013 at 202 on the dot.

My goal is to maintain a weight between 195 and 205 and take the next step into really cutting into my body fat % and getting continually leaner.

Congrats and keep up the great work!

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 1, 2013 -> 02:19 PM)
fitness related goals for 2013?

Work out 260 days this year. Average of 5 days a week. A hour a day. The funny thing? That's only 3% of my time. EZ.

Gain a lb of muscle each month. Going to be more difficult than last year.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 3, 2013 -> 05:09 PM)

awesome dude!

I think I'm gonna be going vegan. I'm gonna use whatever crap I still have, but next time I'm shopping - it's alllllllll veggie :)

I'm gonna try it for like... 2 months... or something like that... and see how I feel.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 08:02 PM)
awesome dude!

I think I'm gonna be going vegan. I'm gonna use whatever crap I still have, but next time I'm shopping - it's alllllllll veggie :)

I'm gonna try it for like... 2 months... or something like that... and see how I feel.

Placebo vs. The Malnourished Athlete

Who shall win?

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 10:06 PM)
i must be slow. but i no get it.

lots of vegan athletes though. :)

I'll avoid the argument and instead let you know that the company I work for sells a vegan protein powder :). It is rather delicious and price effective when compared to its competition. PM me if you're interested.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 11:28 PM)
I'll avoid the argument and instead let you know that the company I work for sells a vegan protein powder :). It is rather delicious and price effective when compared to its competition. PM me if you're interested.

Haha no argument would be had. I'm mostly doing this to see if it heals my reflux issues that have been killing my acting career.

right now I'm just using NOW Pea Protein and shakeology

Shakeology tastes good.

Pea Protein tastes awful.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 10:56 PM)
Haha no argument would be had. I'm mostly doing this to see if it heals my reflux issues that have been killing my acting career.

Shakeology tastes good.

Yeah, pea is notoriously difficult to flavor...though most plant based things are. The texture of plant-based proteins tends to be just...off.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 10:56 PM)

Shakeology tastes good.

I have reflux too. I did the vegetarian thing a bit, but it didn't help me...I still had it randomly. Vegan is something I couldn't do...it goes too far for me. No cheese, no cream in my coffee, no ice cream...no pizza...no thanks. And no, vegan friends, if there is no cheese on the pizza it's not a pizza. ;) It's a difficult lifestyle, and I commend those that can do it...because it takes dedication. I could do without all those things, but not for an extended period of time...like, I don't have to eat any of those things every day, or even every few days, but I do like it once in a while. I think it's a defect in my esophagus versus what I eat...because I can eat something and be fine...and the next day eat that very same thing and it happens.

2 things helped my reflux, one...drugging it. Every so often I'll use 14 days worth of OTC Omeprazole 20mg. They say that you shouldn't take it more than 14 days of this at a time, but my doctor put me on it for like 5 months straight so my throat could heal up a bit. It did. I had no adverse side effects when I stopped, either.

When I'm not using that, I chew gum...all the time. It cuts down on your acid reflux big time because it floods your throat with saliva. It works, trust me. And if something happens to really give it to me bad, I'll eat a tums to knock it down before it does damage.

A combination of those two things have really controlled it for me the last year.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 5, 2013 -> 08:48 AM)
I have reflux too. I did the vegetarian thing a bit, but it didn't help me...I still had it randomly. Vegan is something I couldn't do...it goes too far for me. No cheese, no cream in my coffee, no ice cream...no pizza...no thanks. And no, vegan friends, if there is no cheese on the pizza it's not a pizza. ;) It's a difficult lifestyle, and I commend those that can do it...because it takes dedication. I could do without all those things, but not for an extended period of time...like, I don't have to eat any of those things every day, or even every few days, but I do like it once in a while. I think it's a defect in my esophagus versus what I eat...because I can eat something and be fine...and the next day eat that very same thing and it happens.

2 things helped my reflux, one...drugging it. Every so often I'll use 14 days worth of OTC Omeprazole 20mg. They say that you shouldn't take it more than 14 days of this at a time, but my doctor put me on it for like 5 months straight so my throat could heal up a bit. It did. I had no adverse side effects when I stopped, either.

When I'm not using that, I chew gum...all the time. It cuts down on your acid reflux big time because it floods your throat with saliva. It works, trust me. And if something happens to really give it to me bad, I'll eat a tums to knock it down before it does damage.

A combination of those two things have really controlled it for me the last year.

Unfortunately my reflux is atypical and not controlled by PPIs and tums because it's actually not the acid I have a problem with, but pepsin that gets into my larynx and burns the tissue in there. Called LPR or Silent Reflux. It's also on the cutting edge of medical science and no one knows exactly how to fix it. But the goal with be to eat as alkaline as possible. I already was interested in veganism, so it seems likened a good time to try it. Came hurt.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 5, 2013 -> 08:55 AM)
Unfortunately my reflux is atypical and not controlled by PPIs and tums because it's actually not the acid I have a problem with, but pepsin that gets into my larynx and burns the tissue in there. Called LPR or Silent Reflux. It's also on the cutting edge of medical science and no one knows exactly how to fix it. But the goal with be to eat as alkaline as possible. I already was interested in veganism, so it seems likened a good time to try it. Came hurt.

Unfortunately, extremely strict vegan diet may be your only choice...I feel for you, as it is, with controllable reflux it really sucks to have it...because practically anything and everything can cause it...and does.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 5, 2013 -> 10:33 AM)
Unfortunately, extremely strict vegan diet may be your only choice...I feel for you, as it is, with controllable reflux it really sucks to have it...because practically anything and everything can cause it...and does.

WOW. the autocorrect on my tablet did wonders in my last post. HAH!

yeah man it's weird to have a condition that 1) most people don't think is as big a deal as it is and 2) doctors don't really understand

it's basically just a long road of learning what things trigger it and what things don't. i'll go for periods where it's really good, then boom - voice goes to crap for a couple weeks.

really not fun. haha but hey, if it hadn't happened, i probably wouldn't be in the shape i'm in now. I turned to fitness when I couldn't sing/audition/etc

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 5, 2013 -> 10:01 AM)
WOW. the autocorrect on my tablet did wonders in my last post. HAH!

yeah man it's weird to have a condition that 1) most people don't think is as big a deal as it is and 2) doctors don't really understand

it's basically just a long road of learning what things trigger it and what things don't. i'll go for periods where it's really good, then boom - voice goes to crap for a couple weeks.

really not fun. haha but hey, if it hadn't happened, i probably wouldn't be in the shape i'm in now. I turned to fitness when I couldn't sing/audition/etc

Yea, there are a lot of debilitating things that people don't really consider debilitating. They simply make everything you do less enjoyable, and they make you, as a person, more irritable.

The triggers are the hardest part, I've tried everything, but even when in a controlled/strict diet, I'd find one day nothing I ate caused it, and the next day those very same things did. For the most part, adding gum chewing into my routine has really helped keep the acid down, even when I'm not using PPI's, which completely solve my issue. When I'm on them, I have absolutely no troubles at all...but I'm always weary of relying on drugs, especially long term, when it comes to controlling things like this. So unless it gets bad, I tend to stay away from all of that.

A friend of mine is also a comedian/actor, so I know the life quite well...not an easy one for sure. Though he has landed some background roles on shows like Chicago Code, Boss, etc...but it's not as glamorous as people seem to think. Even on TV shows, only the top few actually see the money that people assume everyone on those shows get.

All you guys wanting to lose weight this year blah blah blah, I've got two challenges starting up in a couple weeks. One's P90X and one's Les Mills Combat, the MMA program. If there's any interest gimme a buzz.

Meanwhile... vegan talk... should that go here or in a new thread? I feel like here's ok right? lol

I really feel good... like... my body's recovering faster than normal. May just be a placebo effect, but eating SO much more veggies, getting so much more potassium... I dunno... maybe having an effect!