*Official* Work Out Thread

maggsmaggs

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 09:00 AM)
Speaking of hot sauce, a guy I know is making a fat-burning hot sauce. Has a couple fat burning ingredients, most notably raspberry ketones and capsaicin (which is normally too spicy to put in any other sort of supplement). Decent chance it doesn't help you burn any appreciable amount of fat, but it is still aptly named "Thermogenesauce"

http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/thermog...ce-5-fl-oz.html

tumblr_mcrj7tC2kt1qf7t4o.jpg

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 10:05 AM)
Need some good recommendations for leg strengthening exercises. I've got limited weights/equipment.

I'm gonna start doing these....

http://www.livestrong.com/article/413939-t...-leg-exercises/

minus the stair running...for now...I think I'll throw in some wall squats as well.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 11:09 AM)
I'm gonna start doing these....

http://www.livestrong.com/article/413939-t...-leg-exercises/

minus the stair running...for now...I think I'll throw in some wall squats as well.

It's livestrong...that means you have to supplement your workouts with heavy doses of anabolic steroids.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 11:20 AM)
Running stairs is awesome for you. Stabilizers, strength, toning, and cardio. It can be hard on your knees, but it's so, so, so good for you. And I'm obviously talking about actual stairs, not just stair steppers.

pretty sure my stairs would collapse

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 11:20 AM)
Running stairs is awesome for you. Stabilizers, strength, toning, and cardio. It can be hard on your knees, but it's so, so, so good for you. And I'm obviously talking about actual stairs, not just stair steppers.

Don't you hate on stair steppers - they are the s***.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 12:52 PM)

well... not really. any machines like ellipticals, steppers etc outlive their usefulness reeeeally fast as your muscles adjust to the extremely repetitive motions.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 11:52 AM)

Didn't say I didn't like them, just that there is a huge difference between going up actual stairs versus stair steppers, just as there's a huge difference between doing chest presses with the assisted machines, standard bench press, and dumbbell bench press.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 12:03 PM)
well... not really. any machines like ellipticals, steppers etc outlive their usefulness reeeeally fast as your muscles adjust to the extremely repetitive motions.

Of course, but they have their place. Going for long jogs in Central Park outlives its usefulness as well and can start causing harm if that's ALL you do. You have to always be mixing things up.

Cardio is cardio guys. If it's elevating your heart rate, it doesn't matter if it's repetitive, that means it's working, it's burning calories...and that's all it's intended to do. You may become more used to the motion, and be capable of doing it faster or longer, but it's still working.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 25, 2013 -> 09:31 AM)
Cardio is cardio guys. If it's elevating your heart rate, it doesn't matter if it's repetitive, that means it's working, it's burning calories...and that's all it's intended to do. You may become more used to the motion, and be capable of doing it faster or longer, but it's still working.

Yeup. The whole calories in/calories out thing. Burning calories is burning calories whether it's a repetitive motion or not.

^^^

So BMW's commercial from a few years back was legit?

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 25, 2013 -> 10:31 AM)

completely disagree.

HIIT is much more effective than running on an elliptical.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 25, 2013 -> 09:49 AM)
completely disagree.

HIIT is much more effective than running on an elliptical.

Yes because it's higher intensity which means you're burning more calories.

Doesn't mean that using an elliptical will lose effectiveness the more you use it. No matter how many times you use one, burning 300 calories is burning 300 calories.

I guess it just depends on what your goals are. If your goals are JUST to lose weight and not get stronger, faster, more athletic, perform better, etc, then you're right and it's JUST about calories in/calories out, and the elliptical is "fine"

after a while though, your muscles (including cardiovascular muscles) will get stronger, and the same amount of effort on the elliptical will yield fewer results because of your body's adaptation to the task at hand. So no matter WHAT your goals, you need to mix it up.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 25, 2013 -> 10:52 AM)
Yes because it's higher intensity which means you're burning more calories.

Doesn't mean that using an elliptical will lose effectiveness the more you use it. No matter how many times you use one, burning 300 calories is burning 300 calories.

it will simply get harder to burn 300 calories in the same amount of time/speed as your muscles adjust/get stronger