All New Soccer Thread ~ All Levels ~ All Leagues

Texsox

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 22, 2013 -> 11:13 PM)
That was pretty insane, and with the other two CONCACAF games ending in draws it puts the US in good shape.

It didn't seem that bad from ESPN's normal upper view, but when they showed the cameras on the field, it was pretty brutal. Luckily they were able to see the offsides on the CR goal.

Jones is out of the Mexico match due to injury.

Since we were most likely going to lose anyways, atleast he wont be getting his second yellow card because we'll need him in June at Jamaica.

If we can survive the opening 20-30 minutes then all the pressure will really weigh on Mexico.

Costa Rica filed protest for the game to be replayed.

As for Mexico, losing Jones hurts. He plays much better than he generally gets credit for from most American fans.

Hopefully Klinsmann doesn't try to make up for it by playing an extra DM.

Personally, I'd sub Edu in for Goodson at CB since Edu provides more speed and athleticism and insert Kljestan in for Jones to pair with Bradley in the middle. I'd also like to see Shea or even Corona in for Zusi to provide some more width

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Mar 25, 2013 -> 08:59 AM)
Costa Rica filed protest for the game to be replayed.

As for Mexico, losing Jones hurts. He plays much better than he generally gets credit for from most American fans.

Hopefully Klinsmann doesn't try to make up for it by playing an extra DM.

Personally, I'd sub Edu in for Goodson at CB since Edu provides more speed and athleticism and insert Kljestan in for Jones to pair with Bradley in the middle. I'd also like to see Shea or even Corona in for Zusi to provide some more width

Jones got off to a rocky start because we all had huge expectations coming with his arrival. Injuries and then slow adjustments to CONCACAF style of play kinda got him off to a slow start but he's become really good over the qualifying run.

Costa Rica can cry all they want but its not going to happen. Plus Dempsey has said no formal protest was made in his presence so there goes Step 1 of the protest process.

Big point!

And as much as it pains me to say it, win out until our next meeting Mexico! Take all the points from Honduras,Panama,Jamaica and Costa Rica.

Actually I'd prefer them to lose out but we know that's not gonna happen haha

QUOTE (zenryan @ Mar 26, 2013 -> 11:31 PM)
Big point!

And as much as it pains me to say it, win out until our next meeting Mexico! Take all the points from Honduras,Panama,Jamaica and Costa Rica.

Actually I'd prefer them to lose out but we know that's not gonna happen haha

I can't be worried about the rest of the teams in the group. The US has done what it needs to so far. They've had one of the tougher schedules among the teams in the hex and are still in the top 3.

How good was Omar Gonzalez tonight? Oh my.

Omar was great. Michael Bradley was the best player on the field as well. US did well coming away with a point, which I'll take any day at the Azteca. Other than the PK that probably should have been awarded, Mexico did not do a great job in the final third. They had a few chances that could have been converted but none were sure things. US defense did a great job. 4 points from those first three games is awesome.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 26, 2013 -> 10:51 PM)
How good was Omar Gonzalez tonight? Oh my.

This times a million. I think the US has found a first choice centerback.

Also need to give credit to Demarcus Beasley. Playing seriously out of position and being picked on from start to finish by Mexico, he played his heart out. Wasn't great by any stretch, but he did ok under really difficult circumstances.

Looking forward to seeing an improved attack during the next set of qualifiers in June. The most frustrating thing about the JK era is the complete lack of anything resembling a scoring chance in most games.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Champions League anyone? Entertaining final today, even if there were a few dull periods. Munich goes down as one of the best teams in recent memory. I'd love to see them play Barca of 2-3 years ago.

Speaking of Barca, they're reportedly landing Neymar. Neymar and Messi on the same team? Wow. Two of the top five attackers in the world.

Some interesting results in Europe for WCQ today.

Sweden lost 2-1 to Austria. Austria,Sweden and Ireland all came in tied for 2nd with 8pts but now Austria is second with 11pts, Ireland in 3rd with 11pts and Sweden sitting back with 8pts. Sweden has 1 game in hand and they get to play the Faroe Islands on the 11th. So it should be a 3-way tie going into the final 4 matches for the playoff spot.

Croatia lost to Scotland at home and is now 3 points behind Belgium. Crucial lost but Croatia is well clear of third place Serbia but of course they'd rather avoid a playoff.

Ukraine with a huge away win at Montenegro. Setting up a nice scramble with Montenegro,England and Ukraine for the top 2 spots.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 04:24 PM)
Ukraine with a huge away win at Montenegro. Setting up a nice scramble with Montenegro,England and Ukraine for the top 2 spots.

See you in 2018 Poland.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 10:29 PM)
Wow, Jamaica scores an 89th minute goal, which was offsides btw, to tie it at 1 but we come back for a goal in injury time to win 2-1.

That second half was kinda ugly, but can't complain about 3 points.

I believe that was the first time we've won in Jamaica, which is shocking, so no matter how it looked a win is a win. Mexico has looked really bad in qualifying. Another 0-0 draw for them. Blas Perez did not make the trip to Seattle for Panama so that should make it even easier for us. I expect a relatively easy 3-1 win tomorrow night.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 08:39 AM)
I believe that was the first time we've won in Jamaica, which is shocking, so no matter how it looked a win is a win. Mexico has looked really bad in qualifying. Another 0-0 draw for them. Blas Perez did not make the trip to Seattle for Panama so that should make it even easier for us. I expect a relatively easy 3-1 win tomorrow night.

Should be an odd field tonight. The grass on top of the turf in Seattle apparently takes away a lot of the bounce on the ball. Hopefully the guys can adjust. BUT Seattle should bring the most pro-US crowd possible.

Not good to be down Zusi and Jones tonight, especially since Zusi has been on the same page with Jozy the last two matches. Panama is definitely going to be playing for a draw, especially without Perez, as they are sitting on 6 points through 4 games. Would be very nice for the US to get three points tonight.