2012 NFL Draft Thread

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 09:13 PM)
The Colts/Bears season opener may have 140 attempted passes. Cutler will pass for 12 touchdowns. Luck will check down 54 times.

Luck to Fleener about 20 times. That should be an interesting debut for Luck going against the Bears D. Welcome to the NFL Andrew.

Hardin Pro Day video:

Edited by RME JICO

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 07:27 PM)
From the looks of it, they definitely wanted Shea and Jeffery with their first two picks. Haven't heard much about Hardin yet, but it sure seems like Emery believe there's enough OL depth for now.

Or that this was a weak oline draft at the positons the Bears needed on the line so they went with other areas. I know nothing about this safety and I wouldn't have listed safety as a need but the Bears have added depth in FA to the line, depth at the CB position, and are getting a safety that I assume they think would have been a much higher pick had he not missed the past season.

I'm not saying I'd have done it but that is Emery's thought and right now, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Hopefully he hits on these moves. I also fully expect them to bring in a dlineman that gets cut.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 07:52 PM)
I went into this draft saying that I think the bears oline isnt as bad as people think and I stand by that.

Having one pro bowl back, another average back, plus a stud wideout, a upside pick in the 2nd round, Bennett, Hester, etc. I think they will be just fine, but this is coming from a guy who doesn't think the line is near as bad as people say it is. And a year to a year and a half ago, I was talking about it being the worse line in the NFL. I just really think people missed the strides they made last year when healthy. Its not the best line in football, but with weapons and the strides they made, I expect it to be at worse, a middle of the pack oline.

QUOTE (RME JICO @ Apr 28, 2012 -> 12:02 AM)
Luck to Fleener about 20 times. That should be an interesting debut for Luck going against the Bears D. Welcome to the NFL Andrew.

Hardin Pro Day video:

I like what I see; he looks REALLY fast. He's well spoken too, and Emery had nothing but great things to say about him. In an ideal world, Hardin and Wright is a nice safety tandem. Conte did ok last year, but I'm not sold on him as a starter, and I've never liked Craig Steltz. And more important than anything: no Harris and no Meriweather.

And words can't describe how much I love the Alshon Jeffrey pick. Emery believed he was the 2nd or 3rd best WR in this year's class. Both Jeffery and Marshall are 6'4.

I hope the Bears work on that back shoulder throw a lot in camp. With Marshall and Jeffery's size, that's a pretty devastating play and near impossible to stop. My goodness, for the first time in my life, the Bears have some legit receivers.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 28, 2012 -> 02:49 AM)
I hope the Bears work on that back shoulder throw a lot in camp. With Marshall and Jeffery's size, that's a pretty devastating play and near impossible to stop. My goodness, for the first time in my life, the Bears have some legit receivers.

I can remember the Bears having legit receivers, but back when they also had Pro Bowlers protecting their QB.

I agree that the Marshall/Jeffrey additions are really exciting. Hopefully, between the return of Carimi and the departure of Martz, the O-line will be good enough to allow Cutler to take advantage of them. I think they can be.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 28, 2012 -> 02:24 AM)
In an ideal world, Hardin and Wright is a nice safety tandem. Conte did ok last year, but I'm not sold on him as a starter, and I've never liked Craig Steltz. And more important than anything: no Harris and no Meriweather.

In an ideal world, Conte and Hardin is our FS and SS combo for a number of years.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 09:39 PM)
Sad fact but 100% true pathectic isn't it.

Phil Emery is in his first draft running the Chicago Bears but he has not broken an old habit.

For the eighth consecutive year, the team has selected a safety, this time grabbing Brandon Hardin of Oregon State in the third round with the 79th overall pick.

Chicago Tribune

They may have drafted a safety 8 years running, but they haven't worked out. Emery shouldn't be held accountable for Jerry drafting so many busts at the position.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 28, 2012 -> 12:24 AM)
I like what I see; he looks REALLY fast. He's well spoken too, and Emery had nothing but great things to say about him. In an ideal world, Hardin and Wright is a nice safety tandem. Conte did ok last year, but I'm not sold on him as a starter, and I've never liked Craig Steltz. And more important than anything: no Harris and no Meriweather.

And words can't describe how much I love the Alshon Jeffrey pick. Emery believed he was the 2nd or 3rd best WR in this year's class. Both Jeffery and Marshall are 6'4.

Slav, not sure what games you were watching, but Conte was the superior safety for the Bears last year. That isn't saying he's that great (he still has developing to do) but compared to Wright he was much better. Wright has struggled to stay on the field so that could be what effected his play for most of last year but he was pretty disappointing. Conte is a guy I lot of people were down on when he was drafted and I know he opened up a lot of people's eyes last year. Hopefully we see something nice with this guy.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 11:20 PM)
The issue isn't how the OL payed during the hot streak last year, or how the starting 5 isn't bad (its not, I like the Bears starting 5 actually). Its that depth, injury risk and age are big issues with the Bears... I dont know how much Spencer and Garza have left in the tank or how well Carimi and Williams will stay healthy. Drafting an offensive lineman in the first 3 rounds at least gives us a chance to have a good starter should something bad happen.

The whole reason the Bears got so bad on the OL was that it was totally ignored for years. For like 5 seasons we didnt spend a single pick on an OL before round 4... then came panic mode where we had to spend all sorts of free agent $$$ and first round picks out of panic and desperation. I'd rather we not have that happen again, but here we are again back inviting it.

Spencer is 30. Not that old. Garza, yeah, he will eventually need to go. Depth at tackle is a need but they still have 3 picks left, and filling out depth/developing guys for the future is much easier to do than find instant starters since for that you either need to use a high pick or spend money on expensive free agents. The team hasn't spent a first rounder on a defensive pick since 2004.

I can't tell you how much I love the Alshon Jeffery pick. Having watched him a lot since his freshman year, we got one hell of a WR. He was just dominant his freshman and sophomore years in the best conference in football. He was arguably the best WR in the SEC in 2010, and that included AJ Green and Julio Jones - and we all know how great they looked last year as rookies (especially Green, but Jones too when he was healthy). To me, he was more impressive and more difficult to contain than Green or Jones when I saw all 3 of them play against Tennessee. This guy is going to be very good.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Apr 28, 2012 -> 10:19 AM)
I can't tell you how much I love the Alshon Jeffery pick. Having watched him a lot since his freshman year, we got one hell of a WR. He was just dominant his freshman and sophomore years in the best conference in football. He was arguably the best WR in the SEC in 2010, and that included AJ Green and Julio Jones - and we all know how great they looked last year as rookies (especially Green, but Jones too when he was healthy). To me, he was more impressive and more difficult to contain than Green or Jones when I saw all 3 of them play against Tennessee. This guy is going to be very good.

Well, hasn't everyone (the "experts" anyway) agreed the kid is as talented as anyone, but work ethic is his problem? He fixes that, we're talking Pro Bowler (ha!)

3 picks left...

Positions they should look at:

DT - I imagine they will go with a DT at some point, just because there is little depth there (even if Idonije sees more time inside)

CB - this is a spot they fortified pretty heavily in FA (Wilhite, Hayden, resigning Jennings), but they still have no youth there

TE - Orson Charles (35 bench press reps, and monster competitor, but undersized), and Ladarious Green (4.53 40 for a 6-6 TE is super quick) are both extremely intriguing especially this late. Lets be honest about kellen Davis - hes not a long term answer

OT/OG - at this point, they likely aren't going to get anyone that will start, but depth never hurts (while the bears aren't above average at any position on the line - there is actual depth there despite what many people think. Carimi, Spencer, Garza, C Williams, Webb starting, with 3 experienced guys behind them in Rachal, Louis, and E Williams - not saying any of those guys are answers, but should a starter get hurt, theres not a ton of drop off to the backups)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 28, 2012 -> 11:38 AM)
That is exactly who Hub Arkish just compared him to on the Score.

Doesn't really have much breakaway speed but it looks like he's a b**** to tackle and he abuses smaller cornerbacks. Same thing Marshall does.

Only drawback to that is generally you want the X and Z to be kinda different... but, who cares, that's nitpicky

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 28, 2012 -> 10:47 AM)
Doesn't really have much breakaway speed but it looks like he's a b**** to tackle and he abuses smaller cornerbacks. Same thing Marshall does.

Only drawback to that is generally you want the X and Z to be kinda different... but, who cares, that's nitpicky

Talked specifically about the back shoulder throw to the sideline.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 28, 2012 -> 11:48 AM)
Talked specifically about the back shoulder throw to the sideline.

I hope they work on that back shoulder throw, and fade routes all offseason. Now all of a sudden the Bears have actual red zone weapons. Not just a few here and there like Davis or Spaeth, but Marshall, Jeffery, Davis, Spaeth, Bush...

just remember also, jeffery is going to consistently face the oppositions 2nd best CB with Marhsall drawing the top guy. Not sure how many teams are going to be able to stack the box against the run like they used to anymore also

QUOTE (daa84 @ Apr 28, 2012 -> 12:10 PM)
just remember also, jeffery is going to consistently face the oppositions 2nd best CB with Marhsall drawing the top guy. Not sure how many teams are going to be able to stack the box against the run like they used to anymore also

And that leaves Bennett, Hester, and maybe Davis/Forte out there as well.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Apr 28, 2012 -> 10:28 AM)
3 picks left...

Positions they should look at:

DT - I imagine they will go with a DT at some point, just because there is little depth there (even if Idonije sees more time inside)

CB - this is a spot they fortified pretty heavily in FA (Wilhite, Hayden, resigning Jennings), but they still have no youth there

TE - Orson Charles (35 bench press reps, and monster competitor, but undersized), and Ladarious Green (4.53 40 for a 6-6 TE is super quick) are both extremely intriguing especially this late. Lets be honest about kellen Davis - hes not a long term answer

OT/OG - at this point, they likely aren't going to get anyone that will start, but depth never hurts (while the bears aren't above average at any position on the line - there is actual depth there despite what many people think. Carimi, Spencer, Garza, C Williams, Webb starting, with 3 experienced guys behind them in Rachal, Louis, and E Williams - not saying any of those guys are answers, but should a starter get hurt, theres not a ton of drop off to the backups)

Dont be so sure about Kellen Davis, as we all know he was underutilized in Martz system and Tice system will get him more involved. I just looked up his combine numbers and he ran a 4.59 for a 6'6" TE, right around what the numbers you mentioned with Ladarious Green.....BUT with the way the NFL is goin it would be nice to have 2 good monster TEs, could you imagine them grabbing Green and having him 6'6", Davis 6'6", Marshall 6'4", and Jefferey 6'4" all out there at the same time??? have fun with that defenses!

With that said I'd like to see a TE, Crick or Zebrie be the pick here

Edited by 2nd_city_saint787