The Sox and the Playoffs

mmmmmbeeer

I guess I"m just a pessimist because I still find myself doubting the Sox make the playoffs....I think the idea that they would be bad this season was so ingrained into my fandom that I've had a tough time recognizing that this team could be, or is, for real.

This morning I read KW's quote about Liriano and how they'd identified some very easy fixes to get him to keep the ball in the zone. I love watching Liriano pitch...loved the deal...and am excited to see how dominant he can become for us.

Then this afternoon I started thinking about our potential rotation heading into the playoffs. Guys, we could be looking at a very special postseason. Now I know Sale and Quintana's lasting power is a bit in question. I know Jake could break down anytime. I know Liriano is still somewhat of a question mark being we haven't gotten to see what kind of results Coop can get. I know Floyd is a bit of a mystery.

We have 3 starters with ERA's under 3.05. Liriano, if things go as planned, can easily make that mark as well while pitching in a Sox uniform. FOUR AL starters in a single rotation with ERAs at or below 3?!?! We've seen teams head to the postseason with good rotations but the Sox rotation has the potential to shutdown the competition in a series once you remove Humber and Floyd from the mix. I'm not sure there's a better rotation in baseball with the possible exception of a healthy Halladay, Hamels, and Lee trio.

If we can stay strong and win this division while keeping our pitchers healthy and fresh, I really think we step into the postseason as, dare I say it, favorites?

There's a long way to go, the Sox are juggling their rotation to get their question marks some additional rest, and there's not a lot of easy competition in the AL.

Detroit is a top heavy team - some great players, but that rotation is hardly lock down. Bad defensive club.

It's going to be very interesting.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 4, 2012 -> 05:33 PM)
PLAYOFFS?

I promise I'm not saying they'll make the playoffs, just excited to think about our rotation should we be fortunate enough to make the playoffs with 4 starters pitching with 3.00 ERAs. I would never jinx us and say that we're going to make the playoffs :gosox4:

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Aug 4, 2012 -> 10:19 PM)
I guess I"m just a pessimist because I still find myself doubting the Sox make the playoffs....I think the idea that they would be bad this season was so ingrained into my fandom that I've had a tough time recognizing that this team could be, or is, for real.

This morning I read KW's quote about Liriano and how they'd identified some very easy fixes to get him to keep the ball in the zone. I love watching Liriano pitch...loved the deal...and am excited to see how dominant he can become for us.

Then this afternoon I started thinking about our potential rotation heading into the playoffs. Guys, we could be looking at a very special postseason. Now I know Sale and Quintana's lasting power is a bit in question. I know Jake could break down anytime. I know Liriano is still somewhat of a question mark being we haven't gotten to see what kind of results Coop can get. I know Floyd is a bit of a mystery.

We have 3 starters with ERA's under 3.05. Liriano, if things go as planned, can easily make that mark as well while pitching in a Sox uniform. FOUR AL starters in a single rotation with ERAs at or below 3?!?! We've seen teams head to the postseason with good rotations but the Sox rotation has the potential to shutdown the competition in a series once you remove Humber and Floyd from the mix. I'm not sure there's a better rotation in baseball with the possible exception of a healthy Halladay, Hamels, and Lee trio.

If we can stay strong and win this division while keeping our pitchers healthy and fresh, I really think we step into the postseason as, dare I say it, favorites?

If ... if ... if.

I say the odds are 50-50 we make the playoffs at best. The Tigers still arguably will win the division that leaves the dreaded double wild card with some high money franchises dare I say it? Favored to make it over us as well. The way our pitching sets up will mean nothing in a one-game wild card matchup.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 4, 2012 -> 11:07 PM)
If ... if ... if.

I say the odds are 50-50 we make the playoffs at best. The Tigers still arguably will win the division that leaves the dreaded double wild card with some high money franchises dare I say it? Favored to make it over us as well. The way our pitching sets up will mean nothing in a one-game wild card matchup.

So you're saying there's a chance?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 4, 2012 -> 11:07 PM)
The way our pitching sets up will mean nothing in a one-game wild card matchup.

Actually I think it makes a huge difference. We have a great advantage over other teams if we can win the one-game playoff because we have 3 other #1-#2 quality pitchers ready to pitch in the next series.

Say you're facing the Angels in the playoff...you throw Sale at them. You win. You go into the next series with TEX trotting out Peavy, Liriano, Q, and back to Sale. The one-game playoff would hurt us much less than teams with lesser rotations.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Aug 5, 2012 -> 10:52 AM)
Actually I think it makes a huge difference. We have a great advantage over other teams if we can win the one-game playoff because we have 3 other #1-#2 quality pitchers ready to pitch in the next series.

Say you're facing the Angels in the playoff...you throw Sale at them. You win. You go into the next series with TEX trotting out Peavy, Liriano, Q, and back to Sale. The one-game playoff would hurt us much less than teams with lesser rotations.

The thing I keep hearing people say about the 1-game playoff is that teams will use their best pitcher. How the hell does anyone know that?

Take the White Sox...what if they set up their rotation for Cleveland to be Liriano, Peavy, and Sale? If that happens, they're going to have to use Quintana or Floyd on Thursday for a 163, or Friday for a Wild Card. Or at best, Liriano starts Saturday in a Game 1 ALDS.

My point is, don't assume these Wild Card games will automatically feature team's best pitchers. They may want to set up the rotation to win it in 162 games and not 163 or 164 games.