2013 Films Thread

cabiness42

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 03:44 PM)
I borderline hated "Man of Steel". Awful effects and Shannon did the only decent job out of the actors. The last 40 mins had me rolling my eyes.

you hated it before you walked in

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 02:44 PM)
I borderline hated "Man of Steel". Awful effects and Shannon did the only decent job out of the actors. The last 40 mins had me rolling my eyes.

That's where our preconceived notions and perceptions (from critics, from internet buzz, from word of mouth) always come into play....expectation/anticipation and then reality.

I do think there's a small vocal group out there who will hate on everything Zach Snyder does, but Brian's definitely not the type, FWIW.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 03:58 PM)
Yeah, I paid $8 to see a movie I wanted to hate.

LOL in this thread you talked about not wanting to see it. Why did you go see it?

And yea, where did you find 8 dollar tickets!

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 04:11 PM)
LOL in this thread you talked about not wanting to see it. Why did you go see it?

And yea, where did you find 8 dollar tickets!

A buddy who has similar tastes liked it. He's dead to me now.

Good ole Gurnee Matinees!

Saw Silver Linings Playbook the other day and all I can say is "THAT movie got Oscar nominations???" OMG....what a boring piece of crap. One Flew over the Cuckoo's nest meets Dirty Dancing.....what a waste of time.....

I generally like Bradley Cooper and I'll watch Jennifer Lawrence do just about anything but that was bad

Edited by juddling

Friday Update: Despicable Me 2 continued to lead the daily box office with ease on Thursday with an Independence Day take of $24.5 million. The computer animated sequel from Universal and Illumination Entertainment has grossed a massive $59.5 million in its first two days. It should be noted that the Wednesday estimate for Despicable Me 2 has been revised upwards to $35.0 million. BoxOffice is currently projecting a five-day start in the range of $146 million - $152 million, which would outpace the film's already lofty pre-release expectations.

Despicable Me 2 did drop a sizable 30 percent on Thursday, but that was likely largely a result of family audiences turning their attention towards other holiday activities. Even with the percentage decline, Despicable Me 2 claimed the second largest unadjusted July 4th performance ever (behind only the $29.07 million Wednesday take of Transformers back in 2007). Expect Despicable Me 2 to pick back up nicely today. Despicable Me 2 has received a very encouraging A rating on CinemaScore, which is a good sign for the film going forward.

Disney's The Lone Ranger stabilized on Thursday with a second place take of $9.85 million. However, in the bigger picture the expensive western starring Johnny Depp and Armie Hammer is off to a very disappointing two-day start of $19.50 million. The Lone Ranger was up a solid 2 percent over Wednesday's performance, a sure sign that the film is skewing heavily towards older moviegoers and not drawing in family audiences. After Thursday's stronger than expected hold, BoxOffice is currently projecting a five-day start in the area of $49 million - $54 million. With a respectable B+ rating on CinemaScore, it does appear that the poorly reviewed film is going over better with audiences than with critics.

On the heels of Wednesday's much stronger than anticipated start, Lionsgate's Kevin Hart: Let Me Explain did drop a sharp 46 percent on Thursday to gross $2.59 million. While the comedy concert documentary looks to be quite front-loaded in its initial days of release, the film is still off to an impressive $7.36 million two-day start (especially since it is only playing in 876 locations). BoxOffice is projecting a five-day take in the area of $15 million - $18 million for Let Me Explain. In comparison, last year's Laugh at My Pain grossed $7.71 million during its entire domestic run.

www.boxoffice.com

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 6, 2013 -> 09:38 PM)
Put me in the Steve group of loving Silver Linings Playbook

How can anyone not love J-Law?

And, I for one, am very tired of Bradley Cooper and Ryan Gosling everywhere.

Just saw The Place Beyond the Pines, found myself wishing for more Eva Mendes.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 7, 2013 -> 06:04 AM)
How can anyone not love J-Law?

And, I for one, am very tired of Bradley Cooper and Ryan Gosling everywhere.

Just saw The Place Beyond the Pines, found myself wishing for more Eva Mendes.

How was the movie?

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Jul 7, 2013 -> 05:18 AM)
How was the movie?

I liked the first half...it was a little bit like Gosling's character in Drive, but with more of a criminal/outlaw side to him.

It's basically two completely different movies within one, and I can't explain without giving any of the plot away.

To sum it up quickly, I enjoyed it but was quite disappointed with the ending.

It's worth your time to check out though.

http://variety.com/gallery/the-best-films-...efore-midnight/

9 Best Independent Movies of the Year so far...

The only ones I'd even heard of were Before Midnight (Hawk/Delpy) and the Sarah Polley autobiographical one.

MUD would be the other one that should be here, although it made around $20 million.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 7, 2013 -> 01:59 PM)
I have to see Before Sunset and Before Sunrise before I see Before Midnight before I die.

It's almost a 20 year history of that "trilogy." Honestly, I don't remember the first one that well anymore.

Don Draper Shot ‘The Lone Ranger’

Article for wsjonline.com

By Evangeline Morphos

Summer and the blockbuster movie! These big-budget, director-driven, star-helmed films are the “tentpole” events that are supposed to see a studio through it’s budget cycle; they are the revenue spinners that carry the loss leader smaller films that create “Oscar buzz.” Summer family fun is going to the beach and going to the movies.

So what happened this year? Variety, The Hollywood Reporter and every other publication that reports on the entertainment industry is trying to figure out why some of the most-hyped films of the summer are– let’s face it–the f-word: “flops.” The suggested reasons for the poor box office showings range from poor marketing to the 17-year cycle of the cicadas.

I’ve been on vacation for one week and have seen 16 films. (OK—most were part of the Nantucket Film Festival)—but the others have been doozies: “World War Z,” “White House Down,” and “The Lone Ranger.”

Hollywood analysts are all stumped: How could the dynamic directors Marc Forster, Roland Emmerich, and Gore Verbinski have been so wrong? Why aren’t audiences flocking to see Brad Pitt, Jamie Foxx, Channing Tatum, and Johnny Depp? Some of these budgets clocked in at around a quarter of a billion dollars. What went wrong?

Well–look at the scripts!

Over the past ten years television has trained audiences to expect better writing—better storytelling. Character-driven epics—”The Sopranos,” “Oz,” “The Wire,” “Game of Thrones” and “Mad Men,” which explores the life of ad man Don Draper—have become part of the national conversation. The Writer/Executive Producer is the new star of Hollywood–David Chase, Tom Fontana, Matthew Weiner, David Simon, and Aaron Sorkin.

“Homeland” has led us to expect a level of character development and tension that is not met by the confused and sometimes mawkish screenplay of “White House Down.” We’ve had a Shakespearean view of the wild west and a new justice code provided for us by David Milch’s “Deadwood” that leaves “The Lone Ranger,” in the words of one critic, seeming “odd.” And as far as the zombie apocalypse goes—”The Walking Dead” and other television series show us a more terrifying and coherent end-of-the world scenario than the unintended hilarity in “World War Z.” (Granted the story takes off in the final act, but that re-write was provided by veteran television writer, David Lindelof.)

For all of the dazzle of the CGI effects and the admittedly fabulous chases–including the train sequence in “The Lone Ranger” that is literally choreographed to “The William Tell Overture”—blockbuster movies are just not giving audiences enough to talk about this summer.

In contrast to these big-budget flops, the Nantucket Film Festival, which focus on the screenwriter, had some beautiful new films—a perfect comedy, “A.C.O.D.” about an “adult child of divorce’ seeking to reconcile his parents just in time for his brother’s wedding, written by Stu Zicherman and Ben Karlin; “The Spectacular Now” a surprisingly complicated coming of age story written by Scott Neustader and Michael Weber; “In a World,” a hilarious look at the voice over-world of Hollywood that is a father-daughter classic, written and directed by Lake Bell, and “Girl Most Likely,” about a hip Manhattanite coming home to the Jersey Shore written by Michelle Morgan.

These are writer-driven stories, with many of the writers having already worked in television.

Audiences are demanding better storytelling from their films; and until Hollywood realizes that the writer is the star, the rest of us will spend the summer catching up on “Breaking Bad,” “Copper,” “Burn Notice,” and waiting for the return of “Homeland” and “House of Cards.”

Evangeline Morphos is a Columbia theater and television professor.

http://wallstcheatsheet.com/stocks/did-the...ure-films.html/

Similar article about the "death of Hollywood" predicted by Lucas and Spielberg

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 6, 2013 -> 11:32 AM)
Enjoyed World War Z. Last act was pretty intense.

I gave it a C+. For being nearly 2 hours long, not a lot of story was told. It just went from set piece to set piece without much substance. I also really hate "convenience" in action movies like this. Everything was too convenient for Brad Pitt's character. Great action/adventure flicks make everything seem logical and believable (even with zombies or some other ridiculous plot). I thought this failed pretty miserably at that.

Did anyone else see Matthew Fox as the helicopter pilot? He was in 2 scenes with one line to the wife. My wife caught it but I didn't believe her until the drive home when we looked up the movie's IMDB page. Apparently he was a big part of the movie before being totally cut out. The IMDB trivia page tells that story and also the "original" movie ending idea if anyone is interested.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 7, 2013 -> 07:57 PM)
I gave it a C+. For being nearly 2 hours long, not a lot of story was told. It just went from set piece to set piece without much substance. I also really hate "convenience" in action movies like this. Everything was too convenient for Brad Pitt's character. Great action/adventure flicks make everything seem logical and believable (even with zombies or some other ridiculous plot). I thought this failed pretty miserably at that.

Did anyone else see Matthew Fox as the helicopter pilot? He was in 2 scenes with one line to the wife. My wife caught it but I didn't believe her until the drive home when we looked up the movie's IMDB page. Apparently he was a big part of the movie before being totally cut out. The IMDB trivia page tells that story and also the "original" movie ending idea if anyone is interested.

Yes, it was a big "free for all" ending in Moscow, a super battle to end all zombie battles that they decided took away Pitt's "humanity" and made you not really care one way or the other about how all the major characters ended up or if another sequel was coming down the pike.

If you noticed, they were flying on Belarusian Airlines, it would make zero sense for them to have a route from Israel to England...not for a regional carrier, they would have been going to Russia/Moscow/Belarus much more logically.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 7, 2013 -> 08:57 PM)

I saw his name in the credits and totally couldn't remember him at all.

Read the stuff at IMDB. Too bad they didn't go with that to set up the inevitable sequel.

Edited by Brian