Healthy Eating Thread

witesoxfan

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 11:20 AM)
Yeah, the olive oil can play the same role...I like olive oil on a salad with more greens in it...I prefer ranch on salads with more colorful veggies. I eat a salad every day at work which consists of cucumbers, bell peppers, tomato, hard-boiled eggs, shredded carrot, etc...I put a decent amount of ranch on it..something like that is still going to be very healthy overall, and as long as you don't eat like absolute s*** at other meals and you get off your ass once in awhile and workout, it's really not going to make a difference.

Yea that salad is definitely still very healthy.

It's people like my parents who absolutely douse their salads in ranch (but hey it's light ranch!) that aren't being healthy. They eat salads to be healthy, but meanwhile they must be putting close to 150-200 calories in each salad on dressing along, it's disgusting (they also add shaved almonds, dried cranberries and sunflower seeds). I've given up trying to convince them to cut down on it.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 01:03 PM)
Yea that salad is definitely still very healthy.

It's people like my parents who absolutely douse their salads in ranch (but hey it's light ranch!) that aren't being healthy. They eat salads to be healthy, but meanwhile they must be putting close to 150-200 calories in each salad on dressing along, it's disgusting (they also add shaved almonds, dried cranberries and sunflower seeds). I've given up trying to convince them to cut down on it.

It could be worse, they could be eating pizza or steak.

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 11:04 AM)
Ouch those are a pain! I accrued those from being in the army and doing idiotic 12 mile runs every friday on treacherous terrain. I first got them in 2006 and to this day I havent completely got rid of them. Ive accepted the fact that if I want to run, its just going to hurt no matter what.

I'm hoping I caught them early enough in my training that they have been able to heal up as I recover from the shoulder surgery, but I suppose I won't know for sure until I get back to running.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 01:08 PM)
It could be worse, they could be eating pizza or steak.

Should've mentioned, that salad is before any meal they prepare. The meals themselves tend to be healthy, typically chicken (maybe steak), veggies, and possibly a baked potato they'll split.

It's just maddening to me (because they are my parents and everything) that they think they are being healthy with those salads.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 01:12 PM)
It's just maddening to me (because they are my parents and everything) that they think they are being healthy with those salads.

I get mad any time my 55 and 56 year old parents eat like idiots. Which is all the time.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 01:12 PM)
Should've mentioned, that salad is before any meal they prepare. The meals themselves tend to be healthy, typically chicken (maybe steak), veggies, and possibly a baked potato they'll split.

There was a guy at Jasons Deli who did the salad bar "for his diet" and proceeded to make a giant salad full of cheese, ranch and other such stuff then put giant scoops of potato and pasta salad on top. Dude, you are better off with a turkey sandwich.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 03:38 PM)
Good work man. I've been trying to shape up a bit, but the damn calories in alcohol always sidetrack me. :lol:

Ah, the demon drink! :lol: Yeah, it's a killer. I haven't had a drop in six weeks, so I'm sure that helped a good bit.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 04:45 PM)
I made Salmon Burgers the other night (with golden mashed potatoes and corn on the cob). They're pretty tasty, though I almost think they're better on their own without the bun.

I just like salmon on the grill in general. Little lemon, good as anything.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 09:30 AM)
I'm a fan of the Bison burgers...

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 10:13 AM)
So damn tasty and so lean.

If I want a burger and the place I'm at offers bison, I'll take that nearly 100% of the time over beef. I like it more AND it's healthier* for me? Sold.

*Just realized I'm not actually sure of its health benefits on its own (besides just being better than beef). I'm assuming like any other meat, it's fine in moderation. Also good source of protein, not TOO much fat.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 11:03 AM)
If I want a burger and the place I'm at offers bison, I'll take that nearly 100% of the time over beef. I like it more AND it's healthier* for me? Sold.

*Just realized I'm not actually sure of its health benefits on its own (besides just being better than beef). I'm assuming like any other meat, it's fine in moderation. Also good source of protein, not TOO much fat.

I believe its leaner than chicken but ill have to check that. Its also f***ing delicious if cooked properly.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 10:20 AM)
I believe its leaner than chicken but ill have to check that. Its also f***ing delicious if cooked properly.

It's about 11g of fat per serving, which is about 40% leaner than your lean ground beef. A turkey burger is about 9g of fat per serving.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 12:29 PM)
It's about 11g of fat per serving, which is about 40% leaner than your lean ground beef. A turkey burger is about 9g of fat per serving.

Thats what I ate last night, I f***ing love turkey burgers. Pickles mustard and a nicely grilled turkey burger. Fantastic.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 10:34 AM)
Thats what I ate last night, I f***ing love turkey burgers. Pickles mustard and a nicely grilled turkey burger. Fantastic.

For the little extra fat, I'll take the bison all night long.

If you like turkey burgers, try this recipe: http://lepetitpierogi.blogspot.com/2009/04...ey-burgers.html

I make these all the time. Instead of curry paste I use Sriracha and I just use olive oil instead of sesame oil. I also omit the peanut butter because I couldn't taste it, if I want some I just put a little on the burger. Put some sliced cucumber and tomato on top, oh man! I've never tried the aioli.

QUOTE (Joxer_Daly @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 01:01 PM)
Quick question for any of you knowledgeable on this sort of thing:

How many calories would be burnt in a 13 kilometer cycle that takes about 40 minutes?

Depend on the terrain and how fat you are :)

Probably 300-400

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 09:03 PM)

Feck's sake! It's never straightforward, it it? :lol:

Reasonably flat terrain, and I'm in fair enough shape now but could lose a couple of pounds more.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 09:03 PM)

Probably 300-400

Actually, further to this, I found this website today for anyone with similar calorie burning questions. http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc

Some of the things are a bit mad - there's a category for 'brushing teeth' in there and another for 'garden'. I wonder how many calories you burn lying out in the garden drinking beer?

Personally I've found eating in a ketogenic fashion has worked amazingly for me i went from nearly 300 lbs to 235 over the course 4 months with the C25k program as well. Carbs no matter if they're from fruit or HFCS will be the premature death of the western world. My macros look like this 1351c , 83g of fat, 30g of carb, 121g of protein.

QUOTE (beautox @ Jul 4, 2013 -> 04:53 PM)
Personally I've found eating in a ketogenic fashion has worked amazingly for me i went from nearly 300 lbs to 235 over the course 4 months with the C25k program as well. Carbs no matter if they're from fruit or HFCS will be the premature death of the western world. My macros look like this 1351c , 83g of fat, 30g of carb, 121g of protein.

Ugh... don't get me started on keto. Fruit carbs are perfectly healthy. I'll post a full response to this tonight or tomorrow when I'm at a computer.

Edited by Reddy

I think keto (prefer cyclic keto) can be an effective weight loss strategy but isn't a real way to live one's life. For people that do a lot of cardiovascular-heavy exercises, I recommend ~50% of cals to come from carbs