Who and how much would you give for Giancarlo Stanton?

peteward

QUOTE (TomSeaverFan @ Feb 22, 2013 -> 02:34 AM)
I have $1,117 dollars in my wallet right now. Does that make me certifiably insane? Being poor as a kid I've always wanted to carry a lot of cash around as an adult. I'm far from rich but I think I have some sort of mental illness that requires me carrying around a lot of cash. I wonder if there is a name for people like me.

Ghetto Rich

or Hood Rich

Edited by Hawkfan

You aren't getting Stanton with any of that.

Or you're looking at giving up Sale, and honestly, that doesn't make a lot of sense either.

It makes all the sense in the world to try to trade for Stanton. Sale does not bring fans into the park, at least not like a slugger like Stanton would.

I think Viciedo may have a bigger upside than some think. I would not be surprised if he hits 30 Home runs this season.

He would fit nicely down in Miami.

Yes, I certainly would like to see some trade talk between the Sox and Miami..

QUOTE (southside_hitman @ Feb 22, 2013 -> 07:21 AM)
It makes all the sense in the world to try to trade for Stanton. Sale does not bring fans into the park, at least not like a slugger like Stanton would.

I think Viciedo may have a bigger upside than some think. I would not be surprised if he hits 30 Home runs this season.

Stanton sure brought the fans into the park in Miami

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Feb 22, 2013 -> 12:30 AM)
Has anybody ever really proved a correlation between body type and pitch selection to injury? I really think most of it's BS. Some guys have rubber arms and some don't. Even mechanics are overrated. No matter how, or what, you throw, it's an unnatural motion. Some humans have the ability to withstand physical stress, others don't. It's really a crapshoot. I'd have a hard time giving up a pitcher like Sale. He's young, smart and straight up nasty.

Does it make a difference if you are big or little?

In his article, Tom argues that there two mitigating factors. One is that players who are bigger will be less likely to regress or face injuries. Bigger bodies are meant to handle bigger workloads. (This one gets thrown a lot... it makes sense, but has anyone ever done this study?) Additionally, Verducci suggests that the number of innings by which the pitcher exceeded the 30-inning threshold matters. (Guys like Chris Sale, who increased his 2012 workload by more than 120 innings, are at particularly great risk, according to Verducci.)

This is also testable. The number of innings criteria is quick to calculate. For size, I used the player's listed height and weight to generate a BMI (Body Mass Index) score. This isn't a perfect correlate of what we're getting at, but it'll do for now.

I isolated only the Verducci pitchers, since they are the only ones affected, and tested whether BMI, workload increase above 30 innings, or an interaction between the two produced some sort of significant effect either on likelihood of injuries or performance.

No.

Link

The average fan, let alone the fickle/bandwagon ones, probably don't even know who Mike Stanton is. Baseball blows at marketing its individual stars.

There is no guarantee whatsoever that Giancarlo Stanton brings fans to the park, that's merely conjecture on your part. Suggesting Stanton does and Sale does not is also conjecture and is a pointless argument anyways because the goal is to win games and White Sox typically respond only to winning - the only 2 times in the last 25 years that they had a a substantial increase in attendance were when the stadium opened and when the won the World Series, and I don't think they're going to be opening a new stadium any time soon. They've had a multitude of great players during that time frame, and the only thing that increased attendance substantially was winning the World Series.

Viciedo does have upside, but he is also on a major league contract, costs money, and will only be under team control for another 5 years. Plus he put up a .750 OPS last year, which is not desirable out of a LFer.

So, while I'm sure you do want to see trade talks between the Sox and Marlins, and I'm sure the Sox have asked - like 25-28 other teams have asked - it's ultimately up to the Marlins, and given the actual and relative cost - half of the White Sox legitimate prospects versus maybe 10-20% of another team's - trading for Stanton at this point in time just does not make sense. There's no guarantee that his addition gets you anything in the next 4 years or so, and if you have to give up Sale, it's effectively a wash. Ultimately, trading for him could prove to be unnecessary given that the White Sox actually have some OK prospects right now, meaning they don't have the worst farm system on the planet anymore.

The Marlins won't care about Viciedo either. He makes money. Honestly we'd have to be looking at someone like Hawkins in a PTBNL type deal, if we had a chance at all. Sale will end up in the same salary range as Stanton, which doesn't help Miami. Viciedo is already making money, again, which doesn't help Miami.

As much as I'd love Stanton, nothing here really makes sense from a Marlins standpoint.

As much as I'd love Stanton, nothing here really makes sense from a Marlins standpoint.

Loria has been known to do thinks that do not make sense so hope springs eternal.

Seriously, I think Viciedo, because of his age and his upside, and because he would be welcome in the Cuban community around Miami, might be attractive to the Marlins as part of the compensation package for Stanton . He hit .263 over parts of three seasons , hit 25 home runs last season and is only 24 years old. He is making 2.5 Million. much less than Stanton's 8 Mil.and it is doubtful he will ever command mega money like Stanton probably will.

On the other hand, maybe Stanton is being overrated and peaked last season. Perhaps AL pitching would tame his numbers down to where Viciedo and other power hitters in the AL will be in 2013. Maybe he will turn into an Alex Rios, on one year and off the next.

As far what brings Sox fans to the gate, of course winning is number one but next on the list has to be home runs. All fans and especially Sox fans love to come out to the park and see some home run blasts. It has been that way forever,,, certainly since that magical 1977 season at the old yard.

QUOTE (southside_hitman @ Feb 22, 2013 -> 10:59 AM)
On the other hand, maybe Stanton is being overrated and peaked last season.

Not likely. He'll be just 23 for the entire 2013 season. He should be getting even better for a few years.

If the Marlins took Viciedo as a centerpiece instead of Sale/Hawkins, you'd be crazy not to give them whatever else they wanted. You really wouldn't give up something like Viciedo, Sanchez, Johnson, and Thompson? I'd add Snodgress without thinking twice. The problem is that even if the Marlins thought that was enough, 20 other teams would offer a better package.

QUOTE (southside_hitman @ Feb 22, 2013 -> 09:59 AM)
Loria has been known to do thinks that do not make sense so hope springs eternal.

Seriously, I think Viciedo, because of his age and his upside, and because he would be welcome in the Cuban community around Miami, might be attractive to the Marlins as part of the compensation package for Stanton . He hit .263 over parts of three seasons , hit 25 home runs last season and is only 24 years old. He is making 2.5 Million. much less than Stanton's 8 Mil.and it is doubtful he will ever command mega money like Stanton probably will.

On the other hand, maybe Stanton is being overrated and peaked last season. Perhaps AL pitching would tame his numbers down to where Viciedo and other power hitters in the AL will be in 2013. Maybe he will turn into an Alex Rios, on one year and off the next.

As far what brings Sox fans to the gate, of course winning is number one but next on the list has to be home runs. All fans and especially Sox fans love to come out to the park and see some home run blasts. It has been that way forever,,, certainly since that magical 1977 season at the old yard.

If Stanton is overrated and has peaked, then why do you want him? Viciedo is some great, young stud with the world ahead of him who is actually older than Stanton.

I just think we can set this one to rest. Almost every team would love Stanton. It's just almost certainly not going to be here.