West Region

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Harvard over New Mexico is looking more likely by the minute!

DONE: Down go the Lobos! Now I am second guessing my pick of SD St over Oklahoma tomorrow. The mighty Mountain West had a bad day.

Edited by Rex Hudler

Yep, these smart kids really can play.

"We battled a really good basketball team in a tough environment," coach Tommy Amaker said. "I'm very proud of our guys."

Amaker outcoached his contemporary, Steve Alford, exacting revenge of sorts for the time Alford's Indiana team beat Amaker and Duke back in the 1987 regional semifinals.

"I commend Tommy and his staff and his players," Alford said. "They made shots. We dodged this bullet a lot this year and were still able to get wins."

Based on their regular-season and conference tournament victories, the Lobos were a popular pick to head to the Final Four this season. The school even gave Alford a new, 10-year contract Wednesday that called for a $125,000 bonus for a Final Four trip.

They'll save the money but feel the pain.

The Mountain West Conference, judged one of the top two leagues in college basketball all season, fell to 1/3 so far this week.

And Harvard -- yes, that school we've all heard of, but not usually this time of year -- is moving on.

The university that gave us Jeremy Lin -- are we ready now for Crimsanity? -- plays Arizona on Saturday.

"YYYYYEEEEESSSSSSSSS!!! HARVARD winssss!!! hahahahhah i told you.... (hash)threepointgoggles (hash)bracketbusters," was Lin's Tweet shortly after the victory.

But this year's Harvard story is not all about the warm-and-fuzzies.

The team lost its two co-captains before the season began because of an academic scandal that involved more than 100 students.

Amaker, who had plenty of experience in rebuilding projects when he coached a Michigan team recovering from NCAA violations, didn't wave the white flag. He simply asked his team for more.

In stepped freshman point guard Siyani Chambers, who played like a veteran. He wasn't great against the Lobos, finishing with five points and seven assists, but he kept his team under control, poised and found open players.

Suck it, AlFRAUD.

You did the exact same thing to Iowa when you had a 3 seed seven years ago on the first round.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 22, 2013 -> 05:24 AM)
So much for my survivor pool. My mistake for betting on Alford as a 3 seed. Who can forget
?

Gee, thanks.

At least McCaffrey, while they were one half of closing any number of B10 games out from getting into the tournament, is doing things the right way.

That game was more comparable to Davidson/Marquette, in the sense that Iowa was up 20 or 18 at one point, led almost the entire game until that last moment.

Harvard was in command from the get-go, trailed for just a bit i the 2nd half, but it wasn't as heartbreaking or gut-wrenching for fans as the Davidson game yesterday or 2006 for Iowa.

Just when you think he's got things turned around and 100% going in a positive direction, he'll make them regret giving him that long-term deal at UNM.

Where did I say that?

Steve's quote was me saying the refs were brutal.

Never once said taht Wisconsin was playing well or that they werent throwing the ball away

In fact I said they threw the ball away??

Why cant I say that refs are bad and wisconsin is playing bad?

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 22, 2013 -> 12:21 PM)
Where did I say that?

Steve's quote was me saying the refs were brutal.

Never once said taht Wisconsin was playing well or that they werent throwing the ball away

In fact I said they threw the ball away??

Why cant I say that refs are bad and wisconsin is playing bad?

Because until your recent post, it was only about the refs. It would be irrelevant if they weren't playing terribly. That should be the concern, not the refs being #1.

Put it this way if Illinois has 10 points 10 minutes in or whatever because we suck, I'm not pointing to the refs.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 22, 2013 -> 12:23 PM)
Because until your recent post, it was only about the refs. It would be irrelevant if they weren't playing terribly. That should be the concern, not the refs being #1.

Put it this way if Illinois has 10 points 10 minutes in or whatever because we suck, I'm not pointing to the refs.

Just quit lying. I posted about Wisconsin throwing the ball away.

If you want to disagree with my opinion that the refs are good, go for it, I really dont care.

But just quit lying its annoying and sad.