Spring Training 2014

justBLAZE

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 18, 2014 -> 02:44 PM)
Phil Rogers speculated the White Sox primary catcher in 2014 is not yet with the team.

While I think this is a distinct possibility, I would say that the best odds lay in the Sox 2014 starting catcher already being with the team. It's a very fluid situation at this point in time.

It's a tidbit worth mentioning though. Discussion around here is still down because it's like the 4th day of Spring Training. Even if it's Phil, who I think is full of crap 99% of the time, it's worth asking - is there going to be a catcher who will become available that the Sox can trade for this spring? They certainly aren't going to sign one of the remaining players and make them an every day starter, but none of Flowers, Phegley, nor Nieto inspire a lot of confidence.

I'd personally go with what they have, but if they can find someone available that's worth it for a guy like De Aza or Gillaspie, I have no problem with said move.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 18, 2014 -> 03:55 PM)
I'd personally go with what they have, but if they can find someone available that's worth it for a guy like De Aza or Gillaspie, I have no problem with said move.

Clearly no one would...but worth considering that if Rogers were right...it would mean going into the season with a catcher who hadn't worked with the pitching staff very much.

That would be disconcerting on its own if the team cared about competing.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 18, 2014 -> 02:55 PM)
It's a tidbit worth mentioning though. Discussion around here is still down because it's like the 4th day of Spring Training. Even if it's Phil, who I think is full of crap 99% of the time, it's worth asking - is there going to be a catcher who will become available that the Sox can trade for this spring? They certainly aren't going to sign one of the remaining players and make them an every day starter, but none of Flowers, Phegley, nor Nieto inspire a lot of confidence.

I can't see any team being willing to move a starting caliber starting catcher at this time frame. Certainly not for De Aza or Gillaspie. We are talking a Quintana or Johnson type of pitcher to get that piece, assuming it were actually available.

I watched a video on the white sox site and seen Avi in the video. That guy looks huge! Can't tell if it's all good weight but his neck looks like a Linebackers! It's crazy how well he moves for his size. I am very excited for the season with all the young talent we have moving forward.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 20, 2014 -> 12:18 PM)
Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN 1m

Konerko on A. Garcia: He can be average & power, he can go out & hit .260 w/ 40 HRs. He really has potential to be monster in this league.

.260 isn't a great "average" paulie, esp. with that number of HR's.

Supposedly in BP Garcia hits the ball as far as Dunn. His problem is during games he hits groundballs at the same rate as slap hitters, and doesn't get on base via anything but a hit very often. If he can get the ball in the air, he could be a huge power guy, but that is easier said than done.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 20, 2014 -> 11:18 AM)
Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN 1m

Konerko on A. Garcia: He can be average & power, he can go out & hit .260 w/ 40 HRs. He really has potential to be monster in this league.

I doubt either of those things will happen. I don't think he'll ever hit 40. I think he'll probably max out around 30 give or take. And I'll be disappointed if he only hits .260. I think Garcia at his best will be very similar to Alex Rios at his best. .280-.300 with 20-30 homeruns and I'm okay with that.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 20, 2014 -> 01:31 PM)
Supposedly in BP Garcia hits the ball as far as Dunn. His problem is during games he hits groundballs at the same rate as slap hitters, and doesn't get on base via anything but a hit very often. If he can get the ball in the air, he could be a huge power guy, but that is easier said than done.

I think it was Garfein that tweeted that Garcia hit the front of the fundamentals deck last year in BP. I don't think that's ever been done in a game as the only two guys we've had that kind of power have been left handed (Thome, Dunn). Frank certainly would have hit it a couple times had it been there during his prime. That takes big time power. Garcia, Abreu and Viciedo have that kind of power but like you said, Garcia just doesn't get the ball in the air enough and Tank seems to hit either ropes that just get over the fence or insanely high fly ball homeruns.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Feb 20, 2014 -> 01:41 PM)
I think it was Garfein that tweeted that Garcia hit the front of the fundamentals deck last year in BP. I don't think that's ever been done in a game as the only two guys we've had that kind of power have been left handed (Thome, Dunn). Frank certainly would have hit it a couple times had it been there during his prime. That takes big time power. Garcia, Abreu and Viciedo have that kind of power but like you said, Garcia just doesn't get the ball in the air enough and Tank seems to hit either ropes that just get over the fence or insanely high fly ball homeruns.

I was at a game either last season or the season before where someone, I think on the Royals, hit one into the last section of the club level down the LF line.

Supposedly in BP, Barry Bonds hit one down the RF line in the upper deck that went into the last exit. Even roided up, that is quite a poke.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Feb 20, 2014 -> 01:41 PM)

FWIW, I believe it was Rongey.