top 10 rotations in baseball from buster Olney

Whisox05

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jan 12, 2015 -> 02:32 PM)
I can't wait for the day when we can quit citing the ridiculous "quality start" stat. It is really meaningless.

It's not a perfect stat, but when you have an improved offense, those quality starts add up to team wins.

I'll take the 20 quality starts from Danks if he makes his 32 and goes 200 innings. The team will probably go 18-14 at a minimum from the 4th or 5th starter. Sign me up.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 12, 2015 -> 02:56 PM)
It's not a perfect stat, but when you have an improved offense, those quality starts add up to team wins.

I'll take the 20 quality starts from Danks if he makes his 32 and goes 200 innings. The team will probably go 18-14 at a minimum from the 4th or 5th starter. Sign me up.

But the arbitrary numbers set by the quality start definition mean very little and say very little about how a guy pitched. Would you rather have your starter go 5.2 and give up no runs or go 6 and give up 3? One is a quality start, the other is not.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jan 12, 2015 -> 03:10 PM)
But the arbitrary numbers set by the quality start definition mean very little and say very little about how a guy pitched. Would you rather have your starter go 5.2 and give up no runs or go 6 and give up 3? One is a quality start, the other is not.

If 32 GS and 200 innings are also in the equation, 20 QS are usually a good thing.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jan 12, 2015 -> 03:10 PM)

you are really nitpicking improbable scenarios. The stat is like any other. It is meant to be taken as a whole season and career, not every individual game. For every 5.2 not quality start he probably had a 6 ininng 3 ER game and they offset each other. At the end od the season it will tell if he had a good season or not. It's a way to look at it without going into mindless detail.