4/29 Games

flavum

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 04:40 PM)
4 k's for Johnson, thru 3.

Throwing strikes again. This is really encouraging.

i think it may be too early to bring EJ up, but i would let him continue to build up his confidence. then in july, if needed, and he is still doing well. bring up for a little test run.

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 10:44 AM)
i think it may be too early to bring EJ up, but i would let him continue to build up his confidence. then in july, if needed, and he is still doing well. bring up for a little test run.

With the need for a 6th starter next week (assuming Sale and Shark drop their suspensions), a lack of off days, and two doubleheaders (the second the day after the all star break), the Sox are almost in a position where they need 6 starters. Maybe not a straight 6-man rotation, but between next Tuesday and July 17, I would mind if they use Johnson in there. Maybe he knocks Noesi out of the rotation.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 04:48 PM)
With the need for a 6th starter next week (assuming Sale and Shark drop their suspensions), a lack of off days, and two doubleheaders (the second the day after the all star break), the Sox are almost in a position where they need 6 starters. Maybe not a straight 6-man rotation, but between next Tuesday and July 17, I would mind if they use Johnson in there. Maybe he knocks Noesi out of the rotation.

don't get me wrong, but with the big break, this will look as a second start of the season. also, they have Scott Carrol up and to take a spot. the sox will have a pen fully rested....

that is how i am seeing this.

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 10:58 AM)
don't get me wrong, but with the big break, this will look as a second start of the season. also, they have Scott Carrol up and to take a spot. the sox will have a pen fully rested....

We'll see what happens, but if EJ has his confidence back, I think they should strike while the iron is hot.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 10:49 AM)
Unless he is taking someone's spot, there are plenty of non prospects in Charlotte. Once they need the space, I'm sure he's at the top of the list or pretty close to be let go.

They already kind of did this by bringing up Coats. That's the warning shot. I'd be surprised if Mitchell isn't gone (or back to BHAM again) very soon.

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 10:58 AM)

Won't Guerra take Carroll's spot soon?

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 05:01 PM)
We'll see what happens, but if EJ has his confidence back, I think they should strike while the iron is hot.

that is truly the other side of this discussion. which many follow in that thought process. i was wrong, i never thought of it that way.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 05:32 PM)
They could also send Rodon down for a period of time until this mess clears up. His option is already used for this year so it doesn't matter.

good point, and let him get a start in at the minor level.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 11:32 AM)
They could also send Rodon down for a period of time until this mess clears up. His option is already used for this year so it doesn't matter.

Rodon wasn't optioned at the end of spring training because he's never been on the 40-man before 9 days ago.

Not that there's much risk of him being optioned out the next three years.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 10:01 AM)

Yes, EJ, the 2013 and possible current version, is a few levels in talent above Scott Carroll, who I view as more of an "emergency" type. Either way, EJ's comeback can give the staff depth we didn't think we had a few weeks ago.